Corsair Community

Question about compatibility please

markshim

hi guys,

can anyone tell me if my CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8 ram is ok to use with a Asus M4A79T Deluxe motherboard please?

i have been using them together now for a few months and i have everything in the bios set to auto, but today i got a BSOD syaing . . .

Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Sat 21/04/2012 13:56:17 GMT your computer crashed

crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\042112-21013-01.dmp

This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x7CC80)

Bugcheck code: 0x1A (0x8884, 0xFFFFFA8006790200, 0xFFFFFA8006790440, 0x300)

Error: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT

file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System

company: Microsoft Corporation

description: NT Kernel & System

Bug check description: This indicates that a severe memory management error occurred.

This might be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules.

The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

On Sat 21/04/2012 13:56:17 GMT your computer crashed

crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp

This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!KeBugCheckEx+0x0)

Bugcheck code: 0x1A (0x8884, 0xFFFFFA8006790200, 0xFFFFFA8006790440, 0x300)

Error: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT

Bug check description: This indicates that a severe memory management error occurred.

This might be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules.

The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

if they are not right should i go back to my old CMX4GX3M2A1600C9 stick and wait till i can get a asus sabertooth 990fx ? or are they ok ?

sorry for questions its just im abit of a noob :D:

• Corsair Employee

Yes they are compatible but you may need to set some things manually in your BIOS.

Go to BIOS setup and load setup defaults then set the memory frequency manually to DDR1333 and set the memory Voltage to 1.6 Volts and set command Rate manually to 2T and leave the timings at AUTO. then disable legacy USB and test the system with http://www.memtest.org.

. is this causing problems or can i just leave it as it is coz im not good at bios settings?

It very well could. Same goes for the voltage. AUTO settings will most likely set them at 1.5v so you need to check that as well.

Also make sure they are running at 1333mhz. AUTO usually defaults to 1066mhz. So your RAM may be underpowered and not running at rated speeds.

You can refer to your MB manual for the correct locations of those settings.

hi

i tried to do,this set the memory frequency manually to DDR1333 and set the memory Voltage to 1.6 Volts and set command Rate manually to 2T and leave the timings at AUTO. then disable legacy USB. but i don`t know where to change the volts, is it DRRAM volts ?

i saved this in settings and my pc cut out then restarted, it booted up and in CPU-Z i could seee that the 2T was there but it was still running at 9-9-9-24 is this right? but that is the only change i could see. i wasn`t sure if i did this right so i have put it all back to auto coz i don`t want to damage anything.

any help on what i can change plz ?

:)

hi there,

just letting you know i have gone back to my old

CMX4GX3M2A1600C9 sticks of ram for now untill i get my new asus sabertooth motherboard in the summer, i have left everything on auto coz thats how its always been.

is this ok ?

i tried to do,this set the memory frequency manually to DDR1333 and set the memory Voltage to 1.6 Volts and set command Rate manually to 2T and leave the timings at AUTO. then disable legacy USB. but i don`t know where to change the volts, is it DRRAM volts ?

Yes, DRAM voltage is correct.

i saved this in settings and my pc cut out then restarted, it booted up and in CPU-Z i could seee that the 2T was there but it was still running at 9-9-9-24 is this right? but that is the only change i could see. i wasn`t sure if i did this right so i have put it all back to auto coz i don`t want to damage anything.

You really cant damage anything adjusting timings . You can with voltage, but you really need to get pretty far out before damage would occur. Your system would just become unstable . Run CPUz and look at the SPD tab. This will show you the timings used for 1333mhz. If you could could you post a pic of CPUZ memory and SPD tabs.

hi,

sorry i have taken out my new ram now and put my old ram back in CMX4GX3M2A1600C9.

i have everything set to auto in bios. here are the pic you asked for.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/803/cpuzslot4.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/843/cpuzfr.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/201/memorypic.jpg/

hope they help.

if you want me to put the new ram in again i could but i was going to use them when i get my new board in the summer.

All you really need to do is set the frequency to 1333mhz and set voltage and command rate. Save and exit. Yes your machine will appear to shut down hard. That is just the BIOS applying the changes. It should boot normally after that.

Run CPUZ and it should read 666mhz under the MEMORY tab. In your screen shot it reads 468mhz. Which is roughly 1066mhz. DDR is Double Data Rate so you multiply the shown frequency by 2 for your actual frequency. So as i suspected your MB on auto is only setting them to 1066mhz.

The pics I sent are of my older sticks of ram. Are they ok running on auto? Or should I put the new ones back in and change the settings? I was gonna just use the old ones for now. When my new ones were in on auto they were set to 1333 but the volts were 1.50 and it was on T1

If thats your old ram they are only running at 1066mhz. ANY memory you put into your MB will default to those settings and voltage. That is BIOS controlled.Command rate should be 2t always.

If you want to try what was suggested for your new kit , thats up to you. But you will have to set them up manually. Generally you will have to set up just about any enthusiest memory one way or the other. Whether it be enabling XMP (intel only) or running any memory faster that what your CPU is rated for. Which is actually 1066. So 13333mhz would be considered a mild overclock.

Ok I will put my new ram back in. So in the bios all I need to do is set it to 1333 and 1.60v and change the T1 timing to T2. Is that it ?

You said that this is a overclock. But I don't really want anything in my pc overclocked. Will this cause instability ?

Also are you saying that I shouldn't be running my pc on auto ?

i have put the new ram back in and at the moment it is all set to auto, here are the pic of cpu z.

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/1944/memory1u.jpg

http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/3686/memory2.jpg

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/3627/memory3.png

btw my new ram volts say 1.50v on the sticks.

so do i keep it at 1333 and keep the volts at 1333 and just change the T1 to T2 ?

also this is the ram i have High-performance 8GB Vengeance Dual Channel Kit, 1600MHz, 8-8-8-24, 1.5V

• Corsair Employee
Yes they are compatible but you may need to set some things manually in your BIOS.

Go to BIOS setup and load setup defaults then set the memory frequency manually to DDR1333 and set the memory Voltage to 1.6 Volts and set command Rate manually to 2T and leave the timings at AUTO. then disable legacy USB and test the system with http://www.memtest.org.

This is what I would suggest setting the BIOS to with that MB and CPU and these modules.

• Corsair Employee

You are welcome to try anything you like, you asked for a suggesting and I have given it to you. So I am a little confused why you are second guessing what I am telling you.

And the setting suggested are based on my experience with a wide verity of similar configurations.

im just wondering why i can`t put the settings in the bios that are on my sticks of ram like this.

dramm frequency 1600

dram volts 1.50v

CL 8

tRCD 8

tRP 8

tRAS 24

and put it to T2

i always thought you only up the volts if there is a problem?

• Corsair Employee
You CPU will not support the rated speed of the memory and you would need to over clock the CPU. Check with AMD for what memory speed is supported for the CPU you have. But as I said you can try anything you like!

Ok thank you.

I will leave the settings on auto then. The only difference from being on auto as they are now from what you have said to do is the volts. On auto volts are 1.50 and every other setting is what you said anyway.

Thanks again

Archived