Corsair Community

Vengeance 16GB only runs at 1066 on Asus Sabertooth Z77, i7-2600k

sugarcrum

Memory: CMZ16GX3M2a1600C10

MB: Asus Sabertooth Z77, latest bios 0906

Chip: i7-2600k

On post I get a red light by the memory. I'm able to hold for the board to auto set. It sets to 1066MHz. Under Ai Tweaker I've tried everything to get it above 1066 but nothing works. After each save I get red light again.

Changing Memory Frequency to DDR3-1333MHZ fails.

Changing Memory Frequency to DDR3-1600MHZ fails.

Setting Ai Overclock Tuner to X.M.P. and selecting profile 1 fails.

Note there is only one profile to select, nothing more. The settings for profile 1 are

10-10-10-27-2N-1.50V-1.20V

Any suggestions on what to try next? From reading it looks like I need to change some voltage settings but I'm not sure what should be changed. I have tried bumping up the DRAM Voltage (tried 1.6 and 1.65) but both of these fail at 1333 and 1600.

From reading it looks like I need to change some voltage settings but I'm not sure what should be changed. I have tried bumping up the DRAM Voltage (tried 1.6 and 1.65) but both of these fail at 1333 and 1600.

Not with that set. You do not want to go over 1.5v. Intel is adimant about that., If anything you would need to add some memory controller voltage , but XMP should take care of that for you. That is what the 1.20v means at the end of your module specs.

Try removing all sticks and clear the CMOS. Then insert just one stick, load set-up defaults and enable XMP. If that works shut down add the remaining sticks.

If that still does not work test each stick individually with memtest to be sure you do not have a failing module.

One stick works great; no problems with 1600MHz. I tried both (one at a time) and each work. As soon as I put in the second stick the system fails on boot and I have to have it auto configure down to 1066MHz. This is with XMP on and XMP off (I've tried many configurations). I can't get it above 1066.

Try removing all sticks and clear the CMOS. Then insert just one stick, load set-up defaults and enable XMP. If that works shut down add the remaining sticks.

Yep, tried this. Removed all sicks and cleared CMOS. Put in one stick and it worked great. I enabled XMP and restarted. Works great. Shut down, put in 2nd stick and it fails. I started fresh, starting with the 2nd stick this time. Same results.

If that still does not work test each stick individually with memtest to be sure you do not have a failing module.

I will try this next. Any other ideas with this MB and memory configuration?

I'm using the Vengence 16GB (CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10) in my ASUS Sabertooth Z77 (BIOS 0906) with the i7-2700k processor at 1600MHZ using optimized default settings with no issues. I have two sets one version 2.0 and the other 2.20. Either set works great in the 16GB configuration or using both together in the 32GB configuration. Passes MemTest 4.20+ no problems.

Archived