Corsair Community

iCUE - K70 - Win7 - Constant USB Disconnect/Reconnect

SteeleMage

Hello!

Seemingly out of the blue (not after any updates or anything like that), I started hearing USB disconnect/reconnect notification alerts pretty constantly in somewhat random times, but frequently, where it would say "Unknown Device", so I had no idea what device it was talking about.

Since it started, I have updated several things and have watched the patterns, and tracked it down to what appears to be this scenario:

* With iCUE running, I alt-tab switch to an app that has a specific profile that has some remapped keys.

* Shortly after I hear & see the USB reconnection

* This sometimes happens while I am in the particular app, as well

* It appears to be only that one profile that it takes place with, although I haven't performed extensive testing of that theory.

* This also happens with the app closed, and going through these steps in iCUE:

** Select plagued profile

** Select "Actions" side-bar "tab"

** USB reconnection takes place

Here are the versions and associated specs of related software and hardware:

* Win7 Pro SP1

* K70 RGB, Firmware v2.05

* Sabre RGB, Firmware v2.04

* iCUE v3.5.111

Attached the profile export for reference.

Any thought how to address/correct this issue?

Thank you!

iCUEProfile Export - AnyDesk.cueprofile

Have you tried to switch to different USB port?

I have upgraded my MoBo recently and right after first start I sow weird behavior of my K70 including disconnection and iCue shows yellow exclamation mark. Had to put it into different USB port, no problems after that

Thanks for taking the time to reply, XRayAdamo!

I had unplugged and re-plugged, but had not tried switching to different ports. I figured maybe I had flopped the ordering when I moved my PC, and hadn't noticed a side-effect like this until recently, so worth a shot. Gave it the weekend, and today, during normal routines that would cause the issue, and it does actually seem to have helped!

Totally didn't expect that to be a solution to something like this. Now I'm curious about how that actually works underneath, so I can understand the "why". But, I'm at least happy that this seems to have satisfied the "how" for now. I did notice a few sounds of the USB reconnect, but much less, now.

Strange! Hoping it continues to operate well enough.

Thanks, again!

-==SteeleMage==-

Nope... the issue seems to have returned, possibly worse (more frequent) than it was before. Driving me insane. Doesn't seem to cause a functional issue that I can tell, but, the "ding-dong... dong-ding" over and over is kinda like "Chinese USB Reconnection Torture". Heh.

Odd, too, how it most often relates directly to this one profile linked to a specific app that I have. Maybe I will attempt to recreate the profile and see if that helps any. Though, it still takes place even outside of switching to/from that profile.

Hi, DevBiker! Thanks for replying!

I did just update the BIOS, but will try to see if I can find more firmwares or drivers I can also update. Didn't want to update too much all at once.

Only using iCUE, if that's what you mean by RGB sync tool?

What kind of monitoring tool do you mean? There is an AI Suite 3 that runs to monitor temps, fan speed, etc. I'm pretty sure as I was debugging that I closed all the system tray items that I was able to and the symptom remained, though. Not sure if there's some other Service running in the background, other than virus scanners and standard system processes.

I did download a USBDeview tool to try diagnosing, but that only runs when I start it, and I haven't started it; and I haven't really been able to gleen much from it, sadly.

Not sure of the actual cooling equipment (if you mean CPU?) as it was sold under the description of "ORIGIN FROSTBYTE 240 Sealed Liquid Cooling System for 1150 Socket".

Corsair components are the Keyboard and Mouse.

Probably not applicable here, but, also:

850 Watt Corsair RM850

16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz (2x8GB)

Will do some more experimentation, later, to look for patterns. Still can't quite satisfactorily narrow it down to something consistently specific yet.

I wish I could! I'd really like to know, too. I'm trying. But it's really difficult to figure out. No indication... all my devices seem to keep their power (lights and such do not flicker or anything), and I know I'm not plugging/unplugging anything. And, the window that pops up just says "Unknown device", so I have no idea which port it may be referring to. I was hoping it would tell me something more, like some kind of metadata that goes along with it, like brand name or vendor or something.

I've tried with/without iCUE running, and it still happens. It seems to pick up during certain times, and be fine others. While playing a game tonight, it wouldn't be quiet. Seemed like every time I hit the Caps Lock key (which I use for crouching in the game), the re-connect "alarm" went off. Not a key I have remapped through iCUE either. So odd. So it "seems" to be keyboard related, but I can't be 100% sure, yet.

I just installed new chipset drivers, so we'll see if that helps with any of this.

Have done several more configuration changes, none of which really seemed to solve the problem except for a short period of time. But, those are:

* Turning off Selective Suspend on USB

* Turning off USB Legacy Support in BIOS

* Turning off Power Down Management of USB Devices

* Changing ports again

However, I may have narrowed it down, more, but I still need more experimentation. My current suspects are the use of my USB 2.0 vs USB 3.0 ports, and possibly an issue with the current version of the driver for my Wacom Intuos Tablet. When I unplug that along with those other changes, I've had the best run without USB reconnections. I also suspect my ASUS monitor USB pass-through has something to do with it, as well. I've updated its drivers, and I just re-plugged my Wacom back in (which goes through the monitor USB), so if I find it cropping up again, I will plug the Wacom directly in, and see if that helps.

Archived