Corsair Community

600T fan controller fluctuating

BPags52

Hello,

I put together the build in my profile in early August. Everything has been running great for the last 7+ weeks, and I really love the 600T case. But I noticed last night that something seems to be wrong with my fan controller.

When the fan controller wasn't on max setting, the LEDs were flickering, as if power to them was getting pulsed between minimum and maximum settings. While the LEDs flickered, I noticed the fan speeds were also fluctuating. I have all 3 case fans hooked up to the fan controller, and also a Corsair memory fan. When I noticed the LEDs flickering and fans fluctuating, I put the controller back to max setting and that seemed to put things back to normal.

I haven't moved the case at all so I don't know why this would start happening all of a sudden. On an average day I probably change the fan controller setting 2-3 times, but I'm never rough with it, and turn it slowly. Has anyone else had this issue or know how to fix it? I checked the first couple of pages in this forum category but didn't see similar threads.

Any input/suggestions will be much appreciated. Thanks guys.

edit: I don't know if it matters or not, but nothing in my build is overclocked.

Thanks for the response. After posting this I searched again for similar threads and also saw a few that were told to put in an RMA, but I wasn't sure if that meant sending the whole case back. This was my first PC build and I was hoping to not have to crack open the case until I decide to add a 2nd video card, and don't particularly want to re-install everything into a new case.

I really hope I don't have to RMA the whole case just to fix the fan controller.

Sometime this weekend I'm going to plug the 200mm intake fan directly into the motherboard and hope that helps. Maybe the fan controller is just overloaded right now? Hopefully not beyond repair...

Jkjk, you stole my thread :nono:

Ram Guy, do you have any input/advice on my issue? Unfortunately I was real busy last weekend and didn't get a chance to unplug the intake fan from the controller and directly into the motherboard, to see if that changed anything.

If the controller has started to malfunction, would unplugging one of the fans from it, and directly into the motherboard, possibly take some stress off of it and get it working properly again? Or is it that once it starts to malfunction, there's no going back?

Thanks in advance for any input/advice.

• Corsair Employee

BPags52,

I am sorry about that I have moved his posts to his own thread.

Did you create a RMA request as suggested and if so what was the Case Number?

Also this may be just one of the fans causing this so please test the fans one at a time.

Thanks Ram Guy :D:

No, I haven't submitted an RMA yet.

I wanted to try plugging the intake fan directly into the motherboard before filing an RMA, as I don't mind that fan running at full power all the time. I'm hoping that'll take some of the load off the controller and get it working properly again. The fans/LEDs seem to work fine when I keep the controller turned to max setting, but if I lower it any, the top exhaust LED will start to flicker, and I can see (in the shadow cast on the wall behind the case) the rear exhaust fan stopping and starting, as if power is only be pulsed to it. I'm not sure if the intake fan LED flickers when the top exhaust one does, I'll have to check that tonight.

Sometime tonight, or maybe tomorrow morning, I will try what I just talked about, and post an update.

Yeah the top 200mm LED would start to flicker if the fan controller wasn't on max setting, but also when it would flicker, I noticed the rear exhaust fan would power on and off. I could see the shadow cast onto the wall from the CPU fan's LED and see the rear fan kicking on and off. Once I saw this happening I didnt' take the time to see if the front intake LED was flickering or not, I just set it back to full setting to get it to stop.

But good news! I just took the front intake 200mm off the controller and plugged it directly into the motherboard and that seemed to solve my issue. My guess is the controller had too much plugged into it.../shrug. I've been back up and running for an hour now and no more flickering/fan stuttering. I'm pretty happy w/ myself :D:

Thanks Ram Guy.

Well, I may have jumped the gun on my last post. Twice over the weekend I saw the top exhaust LED flicker, but only once each time. When it was happening before, it was flickering enough to make it look like a twinkling Holidays light.

How do I test the fans one at a time? I've never had to test a fan before.

edit: wow, chris tmas lights got auto-edited into Holidays?

No, the only fan connected directly to the motherboard is the front intake fan. But I did notice that the top 200mm exhaust fan LED flickered much less frequently after I took the intake off the controller and into the motherboard.

If I'm understanding you right, in order to test the fans one at a time, I'm supposed to hook them directly to the motherboard? I'll try removing the 200mm top exhaust fan from the controller tonight, and plug into the motherboard.

Thanks, I'll keep you updated. If all else fails, I'll file an RMA as suggested. Thanks again.

Archived