Corsair Community

Corsair 680X cpu temperature

AvviiAtor

Just bought this case yesterday and I am very pleased with the design and the rgb fans but the cpu temperature increase by a bit from my old case. Currently running the cooler master liquid cooling aio and my idle temperature is 33c sometimes 34 or 35. My previous case had 28c as the idle temperature and everything is kept the same in the bios, also my room temperature is 23c. Anyone know why there is this increase in temperature.

Well first off what type of cooling did you have on the old system? Water tends to be more effective at cooling but also holds heat longer than metal.

Secondly you appear to have a rather advanced processor from the future seeing as you list an 87000K so that could be the issue as well and todays cooling solutions just aren't designed for it yet :P

I suppose that might depend on what the previous case was, where the cooler was mounted, etc. However, if you would like a casual guess, glass doesn't let air pass through it. It has to go around and that reduces airflow. You likely do not want to be using a dust filter in combination with the radiator either.

Well first off what type of cooling did you have on the old system? Water tends to be more effective at cooling but also holds heat longer than metal.

Secondly you appear to have a rather advanced processor from the future seeing as you list an 87000K so that could be the issue as well and todays cooling solutions just aren't designed for it yet :P

oh my gosh, my number zero on the keyboard is broken xd

everything is the same just different case and a few more fans

just realized you got the same case, how are your temps? idle and underload, also did you overclock your cpu? If I can't solve then do you think it's a good idea to switch to the 500d se?

Ahhhhh *sighs with content* a nice clean build. Very nice.

So here's how mine is setup with a hastily made diagram for the airflow path. Surprised how well the Yellow and Blue worked out on it.

Should be a pretty good setup for your cooling but you appear to have that going on already. 9900K (specs on profile) and my temps are just fine.

But nice setup.

Front.thumb.jpg.8c49dd5f7d632de4bef9af9c24a2157c.jpg

Left_side.thumb.jpg.d54b6476007c3839056d8f721b263a92.jpg

Right_side.thumb.jpg.6dd6bd9ddc035ae9844550ef38a8cdac.jpg

680Airflow.thumb.jpg.e02fcdf2dd83dfea6c6ca1c722a7a6aa.jpg

just realized you got the same case, how are your temps? idle and underload, also did you overclock your cpu? If I can't solve then do you think it's a good idea to switch to the 500d se?

Had that case too (500D SE), long story why I don't have it anymore but its not that bad a case.

And to further elaborate since you asked while I was in PS, my temps under a full synthetic load (run for a couple hours) on the CPU are a follows:

Idle the 9900K is spiky so those temps are between 38-53°C

Loaded I haven't seen it go past 72°C, granted ambient temp does affect it slightly but as it sits those temps were run when it was something like 94°F yesterday and I wanted to see how it handled that without AC :P

If you are really worried about the airflow on the 680X you could always pull the front glass off (need to take off the front and remove a bunch of screws but you won't break anything so long as you are careful). Steve over at GN mentioned this about the case and apparently in doing so it can help temps quite a bit due to much better airflow.

Edited by Waukeen

Had that case too (500D SE), long story why I don't have it anymore but its not that bad a case.

And to further elaborate since you asked while I was in PS, my temps under a full synthetic load (run for a couple hours) on the CPU are a follows:

Idle the 9900K is spiky so those temps are between 38-53°C

Loaded I haven't seen it go past 72°C, granted ambient temp does affect it slightly but as it sits those temps were run when it was something like 94°F yesterday and I wanted to see how it handled that without AC :P

If you are really worried about the airflow on the 680X you could always pull the front glass off (need to take off the front and remove a bunch of screws but you won't break anything so long as you are careful). Steve over at GN mentioned this about the case and apparently in doing so it can help temps quite a bit due to much better airflow.

wow really nice design, two of my favorite colors. Any reason why not to switch case, any downside to the 500d se.

Thats a hard question to answer. One thing I noticed about 500D is that while it has great cable management, depending on just how many cables you need to run it gets a bit tight under that cable shroud. Had to lay into it a bit to get it back into place but once it was on it was fine. The 680X with the second chamber is much nicer in that regard due to the space available. I cannot speak on the temps with it due to the issues I was having with the hardware due to ICurse so anything I threw out in that area would be subject to a very big asterisk.

That and the fact that you already have everything installed nicely and swapping everything over can be a pain to get it back up to snuff :P

Oh there is one thing about the 500D that I wasn't a fan of on it, albeit this could be considered petty and insignificant, was the top of it...just wasn't a fan of the way that it was designed. But besides that, it was/is a nice case.

Oh there is one thing about the 500D that I wasn't a fan of on it, albeit this could be considered petty and insignificant, was the top of it...just wasn't a fan of the way that it was designed. But besides that, it was/is a nice case.

oh yea, looks a bit off from the whole case. Is your fan layout the best in case of temperature and can I use it? I have a different gpu compare to yours so I was just wondering if your layout the is most optimize for airflow or RGB.

oh yea, looks a bit off from the whole case. Is your fan layout the best in case of temperature and can I use it? I have a different gpu compare to yours so I was just wondering if your layout the is most optimize for airflow or RGB.

First, I don't have a patent on the airflow so feel free to use it :P More seriously it is the best layout for me but should work perfectly fine in your case as well. To explain, the bottom 140's push air up into the card so you will have that in your case and it should actually help the GPU stay cooler by supplementing airflow at the card.

To explain a decision that I made in the setup, I went with the LL fans mainly to keep everything the same on the case, they are not the best for static pressure but I can live with that. RGB was just a side effect of that decision.

If you notice the layout I gave, air comes in from the bottom and front then meets approximately in the center of the case then exits out the rear and top. Another side effect of this, and it was by design, I wanted a over pressure setup inside the case since it pushes air out any small gaps and cracks in the case that will keep dust from sneaking around the filters as opposed to being drawn in through them.

Edited by Waukeen
Typos

First, I don't have a patent on the airflow so feel free to use it :P More seriously it is the best layout for me but should work perfectly fine in your case as well. To explain, the bottom 140's push air up into the card so you will have that in your case and it should actually help the GPU stay cooler by supplementing airflow at the card.

To explain a decision that I made in the setup, I went with the LL fans mainly to keep everything the same on the case, they are not the best for static pressure but I can live with that. RGB was just a side effect of that decision.

If you notice the layout I gave, air comes in from the bottom and front then meets approximately in the center of the case then exits out the rear and top. Another side effect of this, and it was by design, I wanted a over pressure setup inside the case since it pushes air out any small gaps and cracks in the case that will keep dust from sneaking around the filters as opposed to being drawn in through them.

really thankful for your help, last question, what do you think of the 500d se airflow since you owned the case before. I want a case with good airflow and i could probably trade it tomorrow. Very tempting to trade but not sure if the airflow on that case is any better.

Don't mind me asking but what issues do you have with the 680X? Not trying to change your mind but I am curious as it seems like you are set to go with the 500D.

To answer the question the airflow on it seemed to be quite decent, but again, my opinion is slightly clouded due to issues caused by ICue and most likely the Commander Pro that came with the 500D SE. Do not take that as an indictment on the quality but just know that I was not the only one who ran into issues with it regarding what I just stated.

Ultimately the decision is up to you since you know what you want better than anyone, not to mention the fact you will have it for a while so you should get what you want. I would say that the airflow on it is maybe a bit weaker than the 680X but only due to the design since this one is much more open at the bottom and facilitates better airflow into the case from the bottom as heat rises. The 500D has the PSU shroud covering the bottom mostly so you can see why that is.

But also keep in mind that fan choice also makes a big difference as well.

To put it into perspective, on the 500D this was the (basic) configuration:

Ryzen 7 2700

32GB RAM

NVMe Drive

HX1200i

1080Ti FTW3 (air cooled)

Taking my issues with it out of the picture I never noticed an issue at all with it temp wise. But keep in mind that the CPU and the GPU (slightly) both ran cooler than the current setup by default and specifically the CPU, which will be the same with you running the 8700K as she is a hot one.

As for the help not a problem. Would rather help someone avoid making the mistake I did and going in on blind faith on Corsair (or really any device) with no research expecting everything to work fine.

Edited by Waukeen

• 2 weeks later...
Don't mind me asking but what issues do you have with the 680X? Not trying to change your mind but I am curious as it seems like you are set to go with the 500D.

To answer the question the airflow on it seemed to be quite decent, but again, my opinion is slightly clouded due to issues caused by ICue and most likely the Commander Pro that came with the 500D SE. Do not take that as an indictment on the quality but just know that I was not the only one who ran into issues with it regarding what I just stated.

Ultimately the decision is up to you since you know what you want better than anyone, not to mention the fact you will have it for a while so you should get what you want. I would say that the airflow on it is maybe a bit weaker than the 680X but only due to the design since this one is much more open at the bottom and facilitates better airflow into the case from the bottom as heat rises. The 500D has the PSU shroud covering the bottom mostly so you can see why that is.

But also keep in mind that fan choice also makes a big difference as well.

To put it into perspective, on the 500D this was the (basic) configuration:

Ryzen 7 2700

32GB RAM

NVMe Drive

HX1200i

1080Ti FTW3 (air cooled)

Taking my issues with it out of the picture I never noticed an issue at all with it temp wise. But keep in mind that the CPU and the GPU (slightly) both ran cooler than the current setup by default and specifically the CPU, which will be the same with you running the 8700K as she is a hot one.

As for the help not a problem. Would rather help someone avoid making the mistake I did and going in on blind faith on Corsair (or really any device) with no research expecting everything to work fine.

Hi, sorry again, but I decided to keep the case and realize there were options on what temperature should these fans monitor. Currently, I have the same exact setup as you and wanted to know what the 3 intake fans and 2 radiator fans at the top should monitor, should it be monitoring cpu temp or system temp or is there something else I should be monitoring.