Corsair Community

New iCue "Freezes" and requires constant CorsairService restart

Rakshasas

Good morning,

I'm new to the forum but created an account to add confirmation to what other posters report with regard to iCue.

I had been using iCue for the past couple of months and it seemed ok - albeit a little more resource hungry than Link. All my Corsair devices were recognized and lighting synced without issue. However, other than that the software (especially after recent updates) has caused some minor instability in my system - especially while gaming. The monitoring portion of the software randomly loses its link to the Corsair devices for which it is responsible. As other posters have suggested, I killed the iCue software and restarted the Corsair service in an attempt to recover iCue and other system functionality but this never works for me. For instance, an annoying issue I was having was with the Corsair Void Pro Wireless headset connectivity. When the iCue software would fail I could not get the headset to power on/off correctly and sound would not be delivered correctly to it until system restart. Another example I had was I could not get the Steam client to reload properly after an iCue episode. Instead, I end up having to restart the system to recover full use of it.

A few days ago, I removed the iCue app from my system and installed the most recent available version of the Corsair Link software. I can't sync the RGB across devices anymore, but my system is stable, hardware is monitored, temperatures handled, gaming and other software now function solidly. There is also not nearly as much system usage from the Link software.

The iCue software is a great idea that I would LOVE to use and have working properly but in its current state is not stable and feels very heavy and clunky in a system that should be able to accommodate it without a blip. Maybe it's just trying to do too much in an AIO solution.

On a positive note, the RGB sync works great in iCue. Compared to other RGB software on the market Corsair is pretty much the best at this. Unfortunately, I need stability more than control over the pretty lights and cool but otherwise not very useful features (i.e., headset equilizer function, "Alexa" like communication from the software, etc.). Less is more - just need a simple app to monitor/maintain Corsair Link items and sync Corsair RGB. I think the monitoring side panel dashboard is nice but it may be weighing on the whole for example. A simple text log is more probably more useful than this GUI. Sorry for nitpicking. I know the devs work hard on this and I hope to use iCue again in the future, but will wait for better releases for the time being.

Thanks for putting up with my two cents. Have a great week. :)

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Uninstalled, reinstalled. Still no good. Now iCUE cannot see my H115i Pro.

Tried again renaming CPUIDSDK.dll and windows told me it was being used by Corsair Service.exe (didn't have that before) after stopping the service manually there was still a Corsair.Service.exe instance in task manager that is "access denied", restarting the service manually added an extra Corsair Service.exe in the task manager...will try rebooting.

Ok...well.....I'm out of ideas.

Edited by Sacco Belmonte

Downloaded the installer.

The corsair website gives you a "download" file without extension, I needed to figure out it was a msi file.

Tried "Repair" from the installer and it gives an "User account already exists" error.

Soft clapping over here :D :D :D bravo. What a little mess.

Here is the installer log:

I downloaded the installer "iCUESetup_3.7.99_release.msi", no problem here.

And I cannot report any trouble during the installation process.

Can you point me to the right spot? I got the installer from the official site. Anyway, my version says is the latest.

After rebooting with the Corsair service disabled I could delete CPUIDSDK.dll, start the service and run iCUE once again.....nothing, my RAM and my H115i Pro are now gone no matter how many times I restart the service.

So now is broken for good.

Edited by Sacco Belmonte

Can you point me to the right spot? I got the installer from the official site. Anyway, my version says is the latest.

After rebooting with the Corsair service disabled I could delete CPUIDSDK.dll, start the service and run iCUE once again.....nothing, my RAM and my H115i Pro are now gone.

I always go to Corsair -> Support -> Downloads

https://www.corsair.com/uk/en/downloads

Ok ok....I seem to have resolved the problem (for now)

The downloader in the iCUE website is bugged. The one from the support downloads works fine and repairs the installation.

After repairing I can now see all my devices, they popped up instantly.

THEN! (this maybe gives us a clue)

Stopping the service, deleting all CPUIDSDK related files then restarting the service caused iCUE to have issues again.

Stopping the service, restoring the CPUIDSDK files then restating the service made iCUE to see everything again.

I repeated this 3 times and in all 3 attempts I got the same results.

So! that brings me to this conclusion.

When I first had this problem and deleted the CPUIDSDK related files windows didn't tell me CorsairServicee.exe was using any. That leads me to think that was indeed the case, so when for some reason iCUE opens and DOESNT use the CPUIDSDK file then you start having problems.

It could simply be that iCUE for some reason is not granted permission to use that file at some point. (even opened as admin)....of course this last assumption could be wrong and the cause is something else.

Edited by Sacco Belmonte

To confirm that it's the CPUIDSDK, you can rename the CPUIDSDK.dll to something else. This will effectively disable the CPUIDSDK - so you won't have any monitoring outside of native Corsair products - but everything else, including your Corsair stuff will continue to work.

If you do this and it resolves the problem, we can pretty definitively confirm that it's CPUIDSDK.

I can confirm that renaming (basically removing) cpuidsdk.dll and cpuidsdk64.dll does NOT solve the problem. iCue monitoring still freeze and requires a service restart.

Unfortunately, I woke up this morning to a frozen iCUE on one of the AMD workstations :(

There is one more thing as last few days I noticed fan on port 5 of the Commander PRO always spins at max speed, but I guess I will have to take it to a different thread.

2018-09-24_09-01-41.thumb.png.90d35f174fd1f51f96c47fe51380185f.png

2018-09-24_09-02-03.thumb.png.3222c17ac83ddedce9e6120119a7e45e.png

2018-09-24_09-02-29.thumb.png.a96793b6a6f1d1201f4a33557d2065ed.png

Did you ever fixed iCUE by repairing it using the installer? Does the problem comes back eventually?

Here restarting the service wasn't really the solution.

I did everything to my knowledge to get this fixed.

Unfortunately, it always comes back, sometimes few times a day yet another time iCUE can work as intended for days.

I have three workstations rendering 3D scans most of the time and gaming PC.

All four are affected.

I'm still waiting for it to happen after a repair.

Non stop rendering with 12 threads while working on a real time visual editor (ImageLine ZGE Visuializer) 80% CPU usage + 50% GPU usage. Plus Youtube playing in the background and open Facebook tab (2 Chrome windows with a total of 10 tabs)

No hiccups...love working with 8 cores BTW, core affinity/working thread number is your friend for a smooth multitasking.

iCUE is still there, working like a champ.

I am hoping one day to upgrade my workstations.

However, for now, iCUE does not seem very stable on my machines.

As I was reading your post I decided to check and found AMD frozen again.

What is interesting that I was not doing anything this time on this PC.

It was idling, that is so inconsistent.

2018-09-24_14-48-10.thumb.png.b8e726a92b256bd8b49a546ca0f3ee84.png

I can say iCUE is not affected by high CPU usage. At least not if I leave some cores for the system.

So, it has to be something else.

Corsair?

iCue is affected by high CPU usage. The fact that you "left cores for the system" doesn't eliminate that fact. Those cores that you "left for the system" were enough for iCue's threads to run. But if you have the load across all cores, iCue has difficulty with thread management and getting time slices to run.

iCue is affected by high CPU usage. The fact that you "left cores for the system" doesn't eliminate that fact. Those cores that you "left for the system" were enough for iCue's threads to run. But if you have the load across all cores, iCue has difficulty with thread management and getting time slices to run.

Still no fix for this? Looked at the latest patch notes and didn't see anything related.

Everyday I have to manually restart the Corsair Service to get iCue to start getting readings again. Sometimes right after the windows starts, others after some usage (browsing, gaming, etc)..

Seems to me it's not related to iCue, but the Corsair Service. I only restart this service and iCue recovers within a few seconds.

I found that in my case, I had a drive in an external USB drive bay with bad blocks. This caused the USB bus to disconnect and reconnect, which would cause my H100iv2 cooler and Vengeance RGB ram to freeze color, as well as hanging the dashboard. I would have to restart the Corsair service and/or quit and restart iCue to bring it back. Not everyone has that scenario, but perhaps some issues are caused by touchy USB devices?

Since I replaced the drive, my freezes and hangups have stopped completely.

I only have one Corsair product - the M65 mouse. I'm also getting the issue of a frozen iCUE until I kill the CorsairService service (it automatically restarts). While frozen, the mouse will continue to be mouse, but the extra buttons only do their default actions.

Love the mouse, but I hate iCUE. I've seen bloatware drivers, but this is crazy - 300 MB of RAM taken up by this thing? Sure, I don't have to use it - if I don't want those programmable buttons, which is one reason I bought the mouse. My old Logitech mouse only needed 25 MB for the whole programmable interface (but it's like Folger's coffee - good to the last - and first - drop).

I get that Corsair made this all-in-one software for the complete line of accessories, but for gamers like me that don't need flashing lights or fancy cooling systems for overclocked rigs, it's serious overkill that eats up memory. How about a toned down version for just the mouse? And maybe that will clean up the freezing problem?

This problem has been going on for months. I'll give it until Halloween. If there's no fix for the freezing by then, the mouse is going on eBay. Then it can be someone else's problem.