Corsair Community

VS1GB400C3 with VIA KM266

icanoop

I'm trying to install a Value Select 1GB 400 MHz DDR memory module in a MS-6390 motherboard with a VIA KM266 chipset. The FSB is 133 MHz so I expect the 400 MHz memory to work but to operate at 266 MHz with this chipset. The motherboard can support up to 2GB of RAM and there is no memory in the other slot so it's not a mixed memory problem. When I turn the computer on with this memory the fans turn on but I hear no beeps and nothing ever appears on the monitor. This motherboard works fine with the 266 MHz memory I had in it before. Is the new memory incompatible? I thought faster memory was supposed to be backward compatible and work with slower busses.

Ryan

This is a tough one.

Do those systems have a brand name?

The MOBO, although made by MSI was made just for this system.

I'm sure there are no BIOS options for RAM settings which would mean the

Value Select will either work or it won't.

I'd suspect the System Select RAM may work but with no specs you can't look

it up on the Memory Configurator.

This is a tough one.

Do those systems have a brand name?

The MOBO, although made by MSI was made just for this system.

I'm sure there are no BIOS options for RAM settings which would mean the

Value Select will either work or it won't.

Yes, the machine was made by Microtel (http://www.microtelpc.com). There are memory settings in bios. Right now I have it set to the default which is to detect memory settings automatically. If you have any ideas of what I should change them to please let me know.

Hmm, I just changed the bios so the memory frequency is set manually and it worked. I guess however the mobo was auto detecting the memory freq was causing the problem. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. And this old machine seems fast as hell now because I run a lot of memory intensive programs at the same time.

Archived