Corsair Community

i160 noticeable obscure jitter noise on GPU side

Spizzi

To my fellow i160 or any Corsair "i" series owners,

Ever since I started up my i160 for the first time, there is a noticeable electronic rattle/jittering noise on the side of the GPU - at least I believe it to be the GPU side. I'll try to URL a video.

The side of the i160 makes the jittering noise when at idle or at load, doesn't make a difference. It isn't loud and concerning, it's just "there" and stands out.

I'm hoping others have this noise as well or Corsair knows what it is.

Thoughts on it?

I have an i140 so, for what it's worth, I definitely do not hear any rattle. At idle the system is extremely quiet - listening closely from each side, all I can hear is a very slight, constant sound (which I assume is the radiators).

Yes my unit has it too. Sounds like it's the GPU fan and it's making some sort of grinding noise. Doesn't seem like coil whine since it still occurs after you exit games. I do notice a decline in sound when its GPUs fam rpm go down. (<2000)

Same on my i140 unit on GPU side. Rather quiet grinding jittery sound definitely describes it best.

Putting my ear against the door, the sound seems to come from the GPU coolant pump rather than the small fan sitting on the GPU radiator above.

I do not hear this noise on the CPU coolant pump.

Wonder if it's a defective GPU coolant pump, as I find my GPU coolant temperature rather high under extreme load (~62C max).

Here is an example of what I experienced: [ame]https://youtu.be/LH--E0h5xAk[/ame]

This is after running and quitting a video game. So the GPU fan is remains spinning for 5-10 minutes and it's not coil whine.

Hopefully Corsair engineers can look into this. I've since returned my unit back though. I'd imagine this fan could be easily swapped out if needed.

IMG_0422.thumb.jpeg.e78c814f8149e65002f58ea011fd7107.jpeg

Here is an example of what I experienced: https://youtu.be/LH--E0h5xAk

This is after running and quitting a video game. So the GPU fan is remains spinning for 5-10 minutes and it's not coil whine.

Hopefully Corsair engineers can look into this. I've since returned my unit back though. I'd imagine this fan could be easily swapped out if needed.

My i160's GPU fan also makes that noise, but it's not noticeable unless I'm literally right next to it. I opened the case up to take a look and the fan itself is fine; it spins freely and isn't making contact with anything it shouldn't be. I think that sound is just a characteristic of the fan.

What's more annoying is that my GPU definitely has some electrical buzz at very high framerates.

That unfortunately is normal. Coil whine. You'll get it on every off the shelf GPU as well. Some GPU's have it better, some have it worse. It's a big gamble.

That said the coil whine generally sounded much lower and less audible with 2080ti.

That unfortunately is normal. Coil whine. You'll get it on every off the shelf GPU as well. Some GPU's have it better, some have it worse. It's a big gamble.

That said the coil whine generally sounded much lower and less audible with 2080ti.

It's a bit sad to hear that "this is normal", it shouldn't be. I have it with an Intel Hades Canyon and it's "always there" even during idle (and it's annoying as hell - guess I'm sensitive to it).

You say it's less audible with the 2080ti - compared to what? 2080 or 1080(ti)?

It's a bit sad to hear that "this is normal", it shouldn't be. I have it with an Intel Hades Canyon and it's "always there" even during idle (and it's annoying as hell - guess I'm sensitive to it).

You say it's less audible with the 2080ti - compared to what? 2080 or 1080(ti)?

I had the corsair one elite 1080ti and it was unbearable. Similarly I had an Alienware Aurora R7 where it was so loud it could be picked up in my headset in games. So it looks like there were improvements 1080ti -> 2080ti. Unless I just got lucky heh.

My experience with coil whine has always been a high pitched squealing noise. This is definitely a lower pitched buzz.

Archived