Corsair Community

650HX 6pin->8pin How?

png666

Hi,

I have one of your HX650W power supplies, it has two 6pin pcie connectors.

It came with a cable that has three 6pin pcie connectors.

The two 6pin connectors at each end of the cable have an addition connector with 2pins.

I've just got a GTX 1080 that has a 8pin connector.

As the 1080 was second hand I need to test it ASAP.

Could you please supply me with a DIAGRAM of how to wire them up.

Also how can I find out the age of my power supply and how long it should last for.

Thanks.

PS I've tried to change the title but it's not showing up?

Those should be 6+2 pin PCIe plugs (that's actually what you describe as well).

These are standard PCIe power plugs. If you need the 8 pin connector, you'll take a 2-pin connector and combine it with one of the 6-pin connectors and plug them in together.

Those should be 6+2 pin PCIe plugs (that's actually what you describe as well).

These are standard PCIe power plugs. If you need the 8 pin connector, you'll take a 2-pin connector and combine it with one of the 6-pin connectors and plug them in together.

OK I understand sort of,

So I put the middle 6pin plug into the power supply.

Then I plug one of the 6pin plugs on the end into the GTX 1080 along with 2pin plug associated with it.

But

I never used any additional power for a graphics card always come from the pcie slot and for the last 8 odd years the integrated graphics in the cpu.

Does not a 8pin plug supply more power than a 6pin else why have it?

So I don't see how you can get 8pins worth of power from a 6pin socket?

Taking that to its end, with the cable you can have two 8pin plugs running off one 6pin from the power supply.

So that one low power 6pin plug powering two high power 8pin plugs - This does not make sense.

What am I missing?

Thanks.

Each connection is rated for a certain amount of current. Today's high end GPUs (such as the 1080) simply draw more current than the PCIe slot alone supplies. In fact, that GPU will be the most power-hungry component of the system.

And yes, it works. The cables themselves are designed to carry the fully current load for both connectors. And the 6 pin connector to the PSU will handle the load as well. Each pin on the GPU side, however, only handles a more limited amount of current. This is pretty standard across the industry with GPUs and modular PSUs.

• Corsair Employee
Yup, don't worry about the amount of pins on the PSU side, that's just the design for the connection for the PSU. Still a good question, across the board, different PSUs use different pinouts so you always want to use the cables that came with the PSU itself.

Archived