Corsair Community

Strange spring sound (it's not a ping one, more like a squeaky sound)

WereWolf

Hello...

I've just received my new K95 RGB keyboard, and I've noticed strange sound on one of its keys. It's something like a metallic spring noise when pressing the button. It's not a popular ping noise, it sound more like squeaky, metallic sound (I'll try to record it when I'll get bet home). It's only one key (M to be precise), but I'm still a little worried about it.

It may be a placebo effect (I'm almost sure it is actually), but I feel like this button is a little, very slightly harder to press, like there were some kind of additional friction inside the switch.

I don't know if it's a known problem, did anyone notice something like this before? Should I RMA this, or just wait - maybe it'll be better after some time?

Contact your seller and see if they can replace it for you. If not, request an RMA to replace it and upload a picture of your receipt as proof of purchase.

Corsair provides a two year warranty for the keyboard. If you want to wait a little longer before replacing the keyboard, its fine as long as there is no user damage (e.g. spilling liquid)

At the beginning... I've recorded the sound which I mentioned before. Here it is:

[ame=

]
[/ame]

Contact your seller and see if they can replace it for you. If not, request an RMA to replace it and upload a picture of your receipt as proof of purchase.

Corsair provides a two year warranty for the keyboard. If you want to wait a little longer before replacing the keyboard, its fine as long as there is no user damage (e.g. spilling liquid)

The shop where I bought my keyboard has no more of these for now, so they won't replace it for sure. I think they'll also redirect me directly to corsair for repairs/replacements unfortunately. I could just return the keyboard to them, 'cause I bought it 2-3 days ago, but to be honest, I love it so much I don't want to do it :)

Anyway... I've contacted Corsair's support now to see what they'll say about it - I could just RMA it, even with express option, but... I don't know what about shipping cost. I live in Poland, and the only RMA center for Europe is in Netherlands... and shipping costs are actually pretty high. I'll just wait for their response, maybe there's an option for shipping costs refund?

yep mine has this too.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2qzj8luPxG9OEpLdlFkRmdtams/view?usp=sharing

Squeaky noise comes from one of keys. TBH I didn't think Cherry's Made-in-Germany QC tolerance is such low. Or maybe I'm expecting too much.

You aren't the first to assume that because it's made in Germany, that it is top quality by default. I haven't used any of the competitors RGB mechanical key switches so I cannot comment on their quality. But I am most un-impressed by the quality of Cherry switches.

A few of my keys have a metallic sound when releasing the keys, but I can't be bothered to RMA my board right now. I think it might be because of the spring in the switch.

I feel like the QC on the RGB keys on Cherry's side is worse than usual.

Maybe because they can't keep up with the demand, they made the unfortunate decision to ship subpar switches.

• Corsair Employee
This is most likely the byproduct of a bad switch. All Cherry switches are built and tested at a certain tolerance to ensure it passes their QC but some may slip through as the force for key actuation is the same but you get issues like this where the sound and feel may be different. Contact our tech support and we'll exchange the keyboard for you. We'll take care of the postage for you as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Well... I have to admit, Corsair's engineers did a great job with updating CUE Software, they fixed sound on my "bad" switch!

OK, I'm joking of course :)

But... it really looks like the switch fixed itself after some time. I knew that there are problems with RMAs now, because of short supplies, so I didn't send RMA request yet. I also plays mostly with headphones, so the sound wasn't so annoying, and with fast typing the sound also wasn't so noticeable.

Anyway... about two days ago, I finally decided to send RMA request, and before this, I checked my whole board one more time... It seems like the switch just needed some time. Now it works perfectly, without any spring/metallic sound.

There is one, maybe two keys with a well-known before "ping" sound after the release of a key (mostly with arrow keys), but I thinks it's normal, and doesn't bother me too much, so I think I'll stick with it.

Archived