Corsair Community

Corsair S128 Solid State Disk

jedisolo

• Corsair Employee
The data Sheet does not specify Cache on the drive and I have not played with it enough yet to answer that with 100% confidence so I will have to check in to it and get back with later in the week when the Flash Team is in the office.

I also have a few question related to S128 but I don't want to start a new topic.

Questions

1.) For best performance in XP, its best if we do partition alignment?

2.) Tweaking the registry in XP like disabling Prefetch, Page Files and other registry tweaks require for maximum performance?

I know other competitor SSD drive require lots of tweaking, I was wondering if its the same for Corsair S128.

Thanks

Ch28Kid

Since this drive uses the Samsung controller and not the crappy Jmicron controller you shouldn't have to to do any tweaking to get the drive to work. When I had the SLC version of the 64 GB drive I didn't have to do any tweaking because it uses the same controller.

• Corsair Employee
There should not be any tweaking that you have to do, but I do think there are some things that you can set or Play with to optimize performance and again I am sorry we are not open today because of the holiday but I will have the SSD Flash team look at your questions when we are back in the office.

RAM Guy or Jack Flash, is it possible to split the forum into SSD products and Flash products since they are not the same. I been trying to look for all topics related to the SSD but it's all mixed in here and it look like this is the only topic so far.

I got a list of questions that you may not be able to answer:

1) What is the warranty for the Corsair S128GB?

2) Is there any new products in the line? I would like to know specifically if there are any plans to support the new Samsung controller that has the 240/220MBps read/write speed since you guys are currently using the last generation Samsung controller.

3) Why the lack of marketing on S128GB? It is slowly becoming one of the top SSD drive next to Intel for people with SATA I laptops and anybody who wants super stable with no stuttering SSD.

Correct, this is the only thread so far :)

I think it JUST came out, so that's why the lack of marketing.

If / when enough threads start I'll start an SSD forum once it's determined the best placement for it. /slap RG with a trout if he touches the button lol!

• 2 weeks later...

Just got this from Newegg. Performance wise the access times seem to be the best thing about it. Throughput is not meeting specification, I have tested with HD Tune and Crystal Diskmark. Averaging about 10Mbs slower than spec.

I have used Windows 7, performance being higher and Windows XP and have done the alignment technique posted here to try and get best performance, not sure if I need to?

I only did this with XP and not Windows 7. These tests have been on a Lenovo T61P. The drive I am using is the

Corsair CMFSSD-128GB1D

Windows 7 - 80Mbs Read (Read Bursts 130Mbs) and 60Mbs Write

Windows XP SP3 - 70Mbs Read (Read Bursts 99Mbs) and 50Mbs Write

So this drive is ok, I was expecting more.

Can Corsair please give us their specs for alignment of this drive? Especially for Windows XP?

There should be an installment guide for Windows XP, Vista, Etc.

Thank You! I really want to like this drive, but so far it seems slower than the competition?

• Corsair Employee
We are looking into your report and will get back with later in the week. But for sure our SSD is not the fastest drive The Intel Drive is faster but our drive design is the least buggy of all of the drives on the market. In addition, Windows 7 is a better optimized for use with SSD drives and why the performance is a bit better

I have this drive in my thinkpad t400 and I get .2ms access time and a minimum read speed of 90 MB/s and 125 MB/s max with a burst speed of 144MB/s.

I had a T61 before I gave it to my sister and I think Lenovo capped the SATA controller at SATA 1 speeds.

Corsair has done an excellent job at releasing their first SSD.

Just got this from Newegg. Performance wise the access times seem to be the best thing about it. Throughput is not meeting specification, I have tested with HD Tune and Crystal Diskmark. Averaging about 10Mbs slower than spec.

I have used Windows 7, performance being higher and Windows XP and have done the alignment technique posted here to try and get best performance, not sure if I need to?

I only did this with XP and not Windows 7. These tests have been on a Lenovo T61P. The drive I am using is the

Corsair CMFSSD-128GB1D

Windows 7 - 80Mbs Read (Read Bursts 130Mbs) and 60Mbs Write

Windows XP SP3 - 70Mbs Read (Read Bursts 99Mbs) and 50Mbs Write

So this drive is ok, I was expecting more.

Can Corsair please give us their specs for alignment of this drive? Especially for Windows XP?

There should be an installment guide for Windows XP, Vista, Etc.

Thank You! I really want to like this drive, but so far it seems slower than the competition?

"microking4u"

Here are a few notes that come up on the top of my head regarding your concerns:

1. I am aware of at least 1 SSD(I will not mention the model and manufacturer) that does not work on this laptop. In all fairness, I would have a little concern with the design, bios or software for this model of laptop.

2. In the lab, our performance testing did drop by an average of 10MB/s on SATA1 controllers but not all storage controllers resulted in dropped bandwidth.

3. When running bandwidth test on a drive, the accurate number is obtained by running the drive as a secondary drive and not the primary drive as where your OS is installed/running.

4. Always make sure you have the latest Bios and drivers for your system. I know this laptop has a recent storage driver dated 1/13/09 from the Lenovo website.

Intel Matrix Storage Manager

Windows Vista 64-bit * 23 Jan 2009

v8.6.3.1004

Windows Vista 32-bit, XP, 2000 13 Jan 2009

v8.6.3.1004

I appreciate the comments you guys. The specs and choice of chips and controller on this drive seem fantastic. I hope that even further firmware revisions might increase performance and reliability.

I still am not sure of the offset alignment issue, is this something to be concerned with? The OCZ forum seems to make a big deal about it. Should I not align the drive at 128 with Diskpar like their forum suggests?

What is the optimal alignment for this drive?

I have heard with the T61p that the optional drive bay for the DVD drive area does go to slower SATA spec, but I am not sure about the main drive bay?

Thanks Again Everyone!

Well it does look like Lenovo capped the controller on T61p at Sata I spec even though the chipset is rated at Sata II. This was for compatibility with the Ultrabay. This really is very disappointing from Lenovo. I still would think at Sata I 1.5Gbs should still be able to do the 90-100Mbs standard?

Issue with the ICH8 on the Santa Rosa for T61p issue.

http://forums.lenovo.com/lnv/board/message?board.id=T_Series_Thinkpads&thread.id=28641&view=by_date_ascending&page=1

Not sure why I cant hit spec still even with SATA I?

This explains some issue at least. I will test the drive on my ICH9r on my desktop and see what results I get.

Thanks Guys!

• Corsair Employee
I would just use the default format for our SSD Drives the default will yield the best over all performance in 99% of the systems. The other manufacturers have chosen to use another type of controller that seems to have to be formatted in a certain manor to get decent performance so I would not be to concerned with what they say. As it is relative to their product and no one else.

Corsair's SSD does not require tweaks to make it usable, stable or compatible. You can always tweak the OS or Bios for better performance for pretty much any hardware. But you can't say it's a finished good if it requires tons of tweaks to make it usable, stable or compatible. Corsair's SSD does not need it :sunglasse

Archived