Corsair Community

Rads choice for obsidian 1000d

Clar1ty

Your best bet is to find a professional review of the two radiators in question. Thicker is not always better for your specific purpose and density plays a large part. Sometimes really thick radiators are low density so you can run fans at low speed (push pull not really needed). Other times they are very restrictive and require high fan speeds to achieve their advertised heat dissipation. 80mm seems stunningly thick and I would expect it to be low restriction, but you never know.

• Corsair Employee

Hey Clar1ty,

I'd like to add a little bit to what c-attack said because everything he said is pretty spot on.

It's definitely dependent on fin density, thickness, and fan RPM/static pressure. If you want to run fans at a low speed all the time. In most cases (hahaha), you're probably better with a bit thinner of a radiator around 45mm and below.

Thicker radiators tend to have more restriction just due to the amount of material the air has to flow through. push and pull definitely help in this regard so if you do want to use thicker radiators, 60mm with push/pull would probably do better than an 80mm thick with one set of fans.

I have both the 60mm and 80mm monsta 360 rads and would personally prefer a P/P 60mm to run a lower RPM overall to achieve the same heat dissipation. The lower the RPM the better!

Do NOT use the Monsta rad w/ push only! Xtreme Rigs is a great resource for radiator comparison: http://www.xtremerigs.net/2015/02/11/radiator-round-2015/5/

These are only comparing 360mm rads, though they should in theory scale up to their 480mm siblings.

Thicker rads like the monsta NEEDs push/pull to preform their best. In this comparison:

Push/Pull:

@750rpm: 2nd out of ~35

@1300rpm: 7th out of ~35

@1750rpm: 12th out of ~35

Push Only:

@750rpm: 16th out of ~35

@1300rpm: 16th out of ~35

@1750rpm: 19th out of ~35

So at low RPM and push/pull the Monsta does awesome, though it only has mediocre performance compared to other rads that are slimmer in push only. Monsta rads need the higher pressure to push through the length of the rad. Interestingly really high FPI (Fins Per Inch) fans preform better at high RPM push/pull than a low FPI. Though, many low FPI fans do well at lower RPMs out preforming their more restrictive neighbors. Though in all honesty with the amount of room you have, you should do something low to medium. Do not do a Monsta in push only!

Compare this to my Hardware Labs Nemesis 360 GTS (16FPI, 14 water channels, 30mm):

Push/Pull:

@750rpm: 12th out of ~35

@1300rpm: 21st out of ~35

@1750rpm: 24th out of ~35

Push Only:

@750rpm: 2nd out of ~35

@1300rpm: 9th out of ~35

@1750rpm: 20th out of ~35

So my 30mm radiator out preforms the 80mm Monsta as push only for low and medium RPMs. The Monsta only pulls ahead one place ahead of my 360mm radiator at 1750rpm. The Monsta has more cooling potential, though it needs more fans or static pressure to perform as intended.

Radiators come in all shapes in sizes. There are a lot of options. In general people should weigh performance and sound. Though as your case is so big it can fit a small car, you have a lot of options. The most important stats for cooling in my theorized opinion:

1) Length

2) Water Channels

3) FPI

4) Fin Type

5) Thickness (some "thicker" rads have cores similar to the size of "slim" rads. This is the least reliable stat IMHO.

The biggest gain for push/pull is not performance, but sound level for the given performance. You do get performance gains, though you get similar or greater performance at less sound output. Doing 4x480mm rads would be over kill, if you are going that route. Though water cooling tends to be over kill as it is. If you wanted the max performance and have low sound levels, I would take a look at this chart very deeply. I could only fit 27/30mm rads, though you have a lot more options. This will be a bit of work for youand as I don't have a 1000D, so I can't easily recommend you a rad. You will have to go through the data and pick a radiator that matches your needs the best.

Lastly I do prefer split fins, they seem to bend less easily, compared to louver fins. It is super easy to bend a lot of louver fins.

Thicker radiators require more fan RPM to work, so enough air will get through the radiator. My recommendation, if we are talking about 120 mm radiators, pick a pair of EK 480 PE radiators, with corsair ML 120 fans PRO (highly recommended, the PWM range on those are insane).

This will make your system quieter and they can dissipate around 700 Watts per radiator, sufficient enough for anything you want to put in your system, without going to a push pull, which is double the space and twice as more fans

Thicker radiators require more fan RPM to work, so enough air will get through the radiator. My recommendation, if we are talking about 120 mm radiators, pick a pair of EK 480 PE radiators, with corsair ML 120 fans PRO (highly recommended, the PWM range on those are insane).

This will make your system quieter and they can dissipate around 700 Watts per radiator, sufficient enough for anything you want to put in your system, without going to a push pull, which is double the space and twice as more fans

The PE radiator isn't all that great, it is 8.5mm thicker than the GTS, but only 1.5mm thicker on the core. The GTS on average out preforms it. Are you thinking about the XE? I tend not to be a big fan of the EKWB, though the XE, according to benchmarks, has the best overall averaged performance.

Archived