Corsair Community

Power supply question CX500

martysprague

I'm working on a Dell XPS 420, replacing the power supply. We ordered a Corsair CX 500. Everything is good except there is a 4 pin, 12V power connection to the motherboard (2 yellow, 2 black wires) and the CX 500 does not have a 4 pin connector. There is a 8-pin connector labelled CPU. First question: is this the correct connector to supply 12V to the motherboard? There is no other 8 pin connector. Second question: Is there simply a 8 pin to 4 pin converter cable I can purchase?

Or is this simply not a good replacement PSU for the Dell 420?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

Thank You,

Marty

• Corsair Employee
I'm working on a Dell XPS 420, replacing the power supply. We ordered a Corsair CX 500. Everything is good except there is a 4 pin, 12V power connection to the motherboard (2 yellow, 2 black wires) and the CX 500 does not have a 4 pin connector. There is a 8-pin connector labelled CPU. First question: is this the correct connector to supply 12V to the motherboard? There is no other 8 pin connector. Second question: Is there simply a 8 pin to 4 pin converter cable I can purchase?

Or is this simply not a good replacement PSU for the Dell 420?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

Thank You,

Marty

Hi,

Our 8pin CPU cable is actually a 4+4 so you can split the end and use just a single 4pin for your motherboard.

Archived