Corsair Community

Spilled Liquid

Hanibal

Hey guys,

New member in a bit of a panic.

I've got a keyboard that's had fanta spilled on it. (Half the keyboard).

I immediately unplugged it, turned it upside down to drain the liquid, then took it to the nearest PC store where they sprayed it with isopropyl alcohol.

Is this enough?

Should it be pulled right down? (As in PCB seperated/fully washed in iso?)

I can't get iso in my town, so it's going to be a few days till I can get it. Will it sustain any long term damage if I wait?

Cheers

If this keyboard was recently bought the best option is to have Corsair replace it for you. If it was plugged in and made contact with the PCB, it's very likely that no amount of isopropyl washing will fix it. For my K65 RGB, the PCB is visible underneath the spacebar, so if that happened to be the first place you dropped it then it's pretty likely that your keyboard is bricked.

You could try exposing the PCB and doing a full wash, however your mileage will vary.

If this keyboard was recently bought the best option is to have Corsair replace it for you. If it was plugged in and made contact with the PCB, it's very likely that no amount of isopropyl washing will fix it. For my K65 RGB, the PCB is visible underneath the spacebar, so if that happened to be the first place you dropped it then it's pretty likely that your keyboard is bricked.

You could try exposing the PCB and doing a full wash, however your mileage will vary.

Will corsair replace it under warranty?

It didn't go near the spacebar, basically it hit everything to the right of it. (about 1/3 of the letter keys and the entire number pad).

No, the warranty doesn't cover liquid spills.

Are Corsair able to repair it and charge me for the repair?

Like is that a thing? Would it even be worth it?

It's only 3 months old and I paid $250 for it... But if it's going to cost $200 to get it repaired that's a little pointless...

I just want some sort of confirmation whether an isopropyl bath would work at all?

As in functional. Chances are it'll have sticky keys. But as long as it still works...

Or is it likely to cause more damage?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived