The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Cooling

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-16-2018, 05:06 PM

POST ID # = 954940
Abs17 Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarity View Post
Hey you found my other video I posted! Some people wanted more details on the youtube channel, so I made my first edited video. I do have some more details in the comments. I am going to add some more videos and work on improving my editing quality. I am going to put together a RGB 101 for PCs as I keep repeating myself, so it might be easier to post a video. Please subscribe if you want to get updated content, it also makes me want to put more videos and improve my content =D

To sum it up
  1. LED is just a LED. It uses voltage or PWM to vary the brightness of the LED.
  2. RGB is a cluster three LEDs that vary it's color and brightness through PWM alone as most RGB LEDs share the same common anode (+) and each diode have their own anode (-). This is why there are "4 pins". Give it 100% across the board and you get the color white, vary the PWM signal to get different brightness and colors.
  3. (Analog) RGB Strip is a tape with multiple 5050 (5mmx5mm) RGB LED mounted to it. It has 4 pins typically 12v, Red, Green, and Blue. "4/5 pin LED header on motherboard the 5th is the optional white on Gigabyte motherboards.
  4. "Digital/Addressable" RGB is your run of the mill RGB LED that has a chip/integrated circuit embedded with it. These LEDs tend to have Data In, Data Out, Voltage, & Ground. Most tend to run at 5v and sending 12v will fry the chip, rendering it useless.

Digital Motherboard headers will be 3 pin as it doesn't need the data to be returned. The LL-120 have 4 pins as the 4th pin is the data out/transmit, so it can hand off the data to the next fan on the RGB Hub.

So Analog RGB Strip is like a Roosevelt's (MB) leading the charge of his soldiers (LEDs) Battle of San Juan Hill. They all follow suit.

A Digital RGB is like the News (MB) informing someone wife's (IC) about something, and she telling her husband (RGB LED) what to do, while gossiping to her neighbor (2nd IC), who tells her husband (2nd RGB LED) to do something and so on. The husbands might react different so they can turn green, blue, or red or any color of the spectrum.

I love informing people of this stuff, though I want to also inform people that iCue is the best damn software out there. Everything else feels very limited. I did this and bought a LNP the day they released iCue.
Haha yeah I was so curious I had to check your channel out your videos are great, will definitely subscribe!
Thanks for the detailed (and funny) explanation

Anyways, the motherboard I'm using is an Asus Prime z370-A. It has only one RGB header as I can see which is a 4 pin 12v. I might miss something but, if you have the time to check this out I'd be thankful. Also can you give me some more details on which digital header are you referring to? I think I know what you're talking about but I'm not quiet sure.
I actually considered getting the aorus z370 motherboard but unfortunately I've heard it has some VRM temperature issues so I chose a different option :(

EDIT: Just found what the addressable header is, sadly my motherboard doesn't come with it.. Is there any other workaround?

Last edited by Abs17; 05-16-2018 at 07:19 PM.

Old 05-16-2018, 08:44 PM
solarity's PC Specs

POST ID # = 954967
solarity Reputation: 10

Your motherboard does not support digital RGB devices. In the picture below, you will see the bottom left RGB header is the Digital one, it is the one that looks like it is missing a pin. Furthmore if it says "+12vGRB", then that is analog. If it has +5v,D,<blank>,(Arrow pointing down), then that is digital. Gigabyte is the only motherboard manufacture that makes Digital RGB headers that can be jumpered to 5v or 12v.

I am a little lost, you say you have a LL-120, unless you got a single standalone fan, it should have come with the Lighting Node Pro. If you have the single stand alone fan, my opinion is for you to buy a Lighting Node Pro! They are $56 on Newegg and Amazon right now. It comes with the controller and 4xLED lighting strips. I was hesitant to buy it as I thought to myself my motherboard has Digital RGB headers and LED strips are cheap. Though the greatest thing about the Corsair ecosystem is the iCUE software. That is the main reason I bought the LNP. Also the LED strips have freaking magnets, this makes installing them so easy as you can easily move them around. A lot of tape out there just comes with crappy adhesive that falls off. Even some other brands sell just the crappy LED strips. Corsair not only has magnets, but it also has Corsairs name on it. So it isn't just cheap strips with a fan connector on it.

Another option is to buy a Corsair Commander Pro, it doesn't come with the strips, though it does have 6x fan headers, temp sensors, and USB 2.0 headers. I can't speak for it as I have never used it, though it is priced similar to the LNP at a little over $60. Wouldn't mind testing one out myself.

Retired: M60 Mouse

Old 05-17-2018, 08:30 AM

POST ID # = 955008

Quote:
Your motherboard does not support digital RGB devices. In the picture below, you will see the bottom left RGB header is the Digital one, it is the one that looks like it is missing a pin. Furthmore if it says "+12vGRB", then that is analog. If it has +5v,D,<blank>,(Arrow pointing down), then that is digital. Gigabyte is the only motherboard manufacture that makes Digital RGB headers that can be jumpered to 5v or 12v.

I am a little lost, you say you have a LL-120, unless you got a single standalone fan, it should have come with the Lighting Node Pro. If you have the single stand alone fan, my opinion is for you to buy a Lighting Node Pro! They are $56 on Newegg and Amazon right now. It comes with the controller and 4xLED lighting strips. I was hesitant to buy it as I thought to myself my motherboard has Digital RGB headers and LED strips are cheap. Though the greatest thing about the Corsair ecosystem is the iCUE software. That is the main reason I bought the LNP. Also the LED strips have freaking magnets, this makes installing them so easy as you can easily move them around. A lot of tape out there just comes with crappy adhesive that falls off. Even some other brands sell just the crappy LED strips. Corsair not only has magnets, but it also has Corsairs name on it. So it isn't just cheap strips with a fan connector on it.

Another option is to buy a Corsair Commander Pro, it doesn't come with the strips, though it does have 6x fan headers, temp sensors, and USB 2.0 headers. I can't speak for it as I have never used it, though it is priced similar to the LNP at a little over $60. Wouldn't mind testing one out myself.

I've bought a single fan for the exhaust on my 570x. I'm using the controller that came with the stock SP120 fans that came with the case atm. So I didn't get the lighting node pro. I might get the triple pack ll120 fans to replace the stock ones tho it is a little costly.
I'm thinking of getting an Arduino meanwhile and see if I can play with it a little until I get the 3 ll120 fan pack. These seem to be out of stock in many places

Too bad Asus couldn't provide me a damn addressable rgb pin with my motherboard :(
If I understood correctly the 12v 4pin RGB header only allows for one colour at a time is that correct?
I think I'll get the Arduino and see what I can do with it just for the fun.

Old 05-17-2018, 09:04 AM
solarity's PC Specs

POST ID # = 955011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abs17 View Post
I've bought a single fan for the exhaust on my 570x. I'm using the controller that came with the stock SP120 fans that came with the case atm. So I didn't get the lighting node pro. I might get the triple pack ll120 fans to replace the stock ones tho it is a little costly.
I'm thinking of getting an Arduino meanwhile and see if I can play with it a little until I get the 3 ll120 fan pack. These seem to be out of stock in many places

Too bad Asus couldn't provide me a damn addressable rgb pin with my motherboard :(
If I understood correctly the 12v 4pin RGB header only allows for one colour at a time is that correct?
I think I'll get the Arduino and see what I can do with it just for the fun.
Asus does provide a Z370 motherboard with addressable LEDs, the primes seem to be a no frills board. I do like Asus a lot, though went with the Gigabyte Gaming 7 due to the insane price point at the time when bundled with a 8600K. The Gaming 7 has one of the best VRMs for the Z370, some of the lower end Gaming series had some issues with the VRM and early Gaming 7s had some boards sent out w/o the VRM heat sink torqued all the way. Most people that had this issue, just tightened it with a screw driver. At the time of purchase the CPUs were a hot commodity and the 8700k was well over MSRP and didn't have any good combo deals. My only issue with Asus is they let the whole ROG go to their head, the Stryx boards in particular are less than satisfactory for the price point, even the Maximus was a little over priced compared to the Gaming 7. People want to pay more for a board that says Republic of China...I mean Republic of Gamers name and Asus knows this. Gigabyte also knows this and I think that is why they are marketing the Aorus line, but it is pretty much just smoke and mirrors right now. Lots of pretty marketing that Gigabyte put together though their forums are full of bots and there really isn't a community. There is a lot more of a following for Asus. A couple of us are working with the Gigabyte Fusion SDK and developing some cool tools. I wrote a script that changes the colors of my motherboard and attached devices, based off the game I am playing. The best mid range boards, in terms of price, value, and quality for the VRM are a lot of the AS Rock. The Taichi is very popular as well, though I still prefer my Gaming 7. That was really off topic.

Anyway if you want to use the Arduino to control the lights, a member on this forum developed a tool to control the lights: https://github.com/Charixfox/HD120-Controller

If you go with this you need to get a Leondardo style Arduino. The Arduino is open source, so many other clones exist, I bought this one months ago, but have yet to play with it: https://www.amazon.com/keyestudio-Le...onardo+arduino

You don't need an official branded Arduino, though it has everything the same. I have yet to test this and this is all the information that @Charixfox wrote in his thread: http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=165029

Again there are clones that are identical to the Arduino. As Arduino made it open source, that means anyone can make and market a clone.

Old 05-17-2018, 08:24 PM

POST ID # = 955095

Quote:
Asus does provide a Z370 motherboard with addressable LEDs, the primes seem to be a no frills board. I do like Asus a lot, though went with the Gigabyte Gaming 7 due to the insane price point at the time when bundled with a 8600K. The Gaming 7 has one of the best VRMs for the Z370, some of the lower end Gaming series had some issues with the VRM and early Gaming 7s had some boards sent out w/o the VRM heat sink torqued all the way. Most people that had this issue, just tightened it with a screw driver. At the time of purchase the CPUs were a hot commodity and the 8700k was well over MSRP and didn't have any good combo deals. My only issue with Asus is they let the whole ROG go to their head, the Stryx boards in particular are less than satisfactory for the price point, even the Maximus was a little over priced compared to the Gaming 7. People want to pay more for a board that says Republic of China...I mean Republic of Gamers name and Asus knows this. Gigabyte also knows this and I think that is why they are marketing the Aorus line, but it is pretty much just smoke and mirrors right now. Lots of pretty marketing that Gigabyte put together though their forums are full of bots and there really isn't a community. There is a lot more of a following for Asus. A couple of us are working with the Gigabyte Fusion SDK and developing some cool tools. I wrote a script that changes the colors of my motherboard and attached devices, based off the game I am playing. The best mid range boards, in terms of price, value, and quality for the VRM are a lot of the AS Rock. The Taichi is very popular as well, though I still prefer my Gaming 7. That was really off topic.

Anyway if you want to use the Arduino to control the lights, a member on this forum developed a tool to control the lights: https://github.com/Charixfox/HD120-Controller

If you go with this you need to get a Leondardo style Arduino. The Arduino is open source, so many other clones exist, I bought this one months ago, but have yet to play with it: https://www.amazon.com/keyestudio-Le...onardo+arduino

You don't need an official branded Arduino, though it has everything the same. I have yet to test this and this is all the information that @Charixfox wrote in his thread: http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=165029

Again there are clones that are identical to the Arduino. As Arduino made it open source, that means anyone can make and market a clone.
I agree, seen some great reviews on the aorus gaming 7. I considered getting the gaming 7 too but couldn't find any good combo deals. I've found one good deal with the gaming 3 but then I read some negative feedback regarding it, so I ended up getting the Asus which was at my price range. I've read somewhere about the tightning solution for the lower end series that had the hot VRM issues, but unfortunately it voids your warranty (at least on the aorus gaming 3) so I didn't want to take the risk. Asus's ROG series is definitely nothing but a marketing strategy to convince people to purchase their products. This also has to do with their aura sync which they're trying to lock users down to one platform.

This is a great handy tool and just what I need! Once I get the Arduino board I'll post back. I only hope to not fry the LEDs by mistake.
I appreciate your help, thanks

Old 05-18-2018, 08:51 AM
solarity's PC Specs

POST ID # = 955151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abs17 View Post
I agree, seen some great reviews on the aorus gaming 7. I considered getting the gaming 7 too but couldn't find any good combo deals. I've found one good deal with the gaming 3 but then I read some negative feedback regarding it, so I ended up getting the Asus which was at my price range. I've read somewhere about the tightning solution for the lower end series that had the hot VRM issues, but unfortunately it voids your warranty (at least on the aorus gaming 3) so I didn't want to take the risk. Asus's ROG series is definitely nothing but a marketing strategy to convince people to purchase their products. This also has to do with their aura sync which they're trying to lock users down to one platform.

This is a great handy tool and just what I need! Once I get the Arduino board I'll post back. I only hope to not fry the LEDs by mistake.
I appreciate your help, thanks
Just make sure you plug things in correctly and double check.