Corsair Community

2 x RGB Hubs + 1 CPro x 6 Fans = Only 4 lit

mrosenbu

Hi all - first time poster here. Just finished building my new rig, and all is well with the exception of 2 fans not lighting up. Here's my config.

1 x Commander Pro - plugged into the USB 2.0 Header on my MoBo along with the requisite SATA Cable. I do have my h150i Pros' USB 2.0 header plugged into the Commander Pro. Thought I should highlight it, as my MoBo only has 1 x USB 2.0 header.

1 x RGB Fan LED Hub - This has 3 x LL120's plugged into it (Front Case Fans). This is plugged into Port #1 on the Commander Pro. The SATA cable is plugged in as well. All 3 fans are recognized by Corsair Link (latest version), and I have full RGB control of them. No issue here. FWIW, each fan is plugged into the CPU Block Headers coming off my h150i Pro (these fans are cooling the radiator down). The fans are not plugged into the Commander Pro. That shouldn't matter though. I don't have an issue with Fans spinning.

1 x RGB Fan LED Hub - This has 3 x HD120's plugged into it (Top 2 case fans and 1 rear case fan). This is plugged into Port #2 on the Commander Pro. The SATA cable is plugged in as well. Here's where things get interesting. The ONLY fan that I can gain RGB control is the fan that I plug into Port #1 on the 2nd RGB Fan LED Hub. I have tested each fan, and each one lights up when plugged into Port #1 on the RGB Fan LED Hub. If I plug any of the other 2 fans (doesn't matter which ones) into Ports 2 and 3, I get nothing. Only Port #1 works.

I've swapped the order above, to see if I have a bad RGB Fan LED Hub, and nope - the same exact thing happens when I plug the LL120's into the 2nd RGB Fan LED Hub and the 3 x HD120's into the first RGB Fan LED Hub.

Does anyone have any ideas? I figured that if I can get all 3 fans to light up, individually, by way of plugging each one into Port #1 on the 2nd RGB Fan LED Hub, then I've proven that each fan works, right? Also, by recreating the issue by swapping RGB Fan LED Hubs, I've proven that it's not an issue with the RGB Fan LED Hub, right?

What else could it be? This is really, really strange. Any help any one can offer would be most appreciated.

In summary

1 x Commander Pro

2 x LED Hub

3 x LL120's (into Hub 1 - Port 1 on the CPro)

3 x HD120's (into Hub 2 - Port 2 on the Cpro)

3 x LL120's work

1 x HD120 works (whichever LED header is plugged into Port 1)

Thanks all!

Matt

• Corsair Employee

I would suggest trying iCUE to see if the same issue is reproduced. Before doing so, I would make sure that your commander pro's firmware is up to date.

If the issue still persists then I would suggest creating a ticket for our technical support team to further assist you.

Mr. Lettuce -

I have already upgraded to iCue, swapped out ALL hardware (Cpro, LNP, Fan Hubs, etc) and the problem still exists with Ports 2 & 3 on my dedicated HD120 LED Fan Hub.

Short of replacing fans which I know are working perfectly fine (as they ALL work when plugged into Port #1), I don't know what else to do.

Any ideas?

• Corsair Employee
Have you configured the fan in iCUE? because by just connecting the fans, iCUE will not recognize them initially, you have to manually select the type of fan and the number of fans connected before they get detected.

Yes'sir - I've configured Lighting Channel #1 (LL120's) for 3 fans - they work swimmingly well.

I've configured Lighting Channel #2 (HD120's) for 3 fans, and only the fan plugged into Port #1 works.

This was the same exact experience when I was running LINK, so the software doesn't appear to be the culprit here.

In addition, I've swapped out all HW except the fans (new LNP's, new Fan Hubs, tried both with and without the Commander Pro, etc).

FWIW, I do have a single white LED lit on the fan plugged into Port #3 on Lighting Hub #2 (the HD120's).

Is this a power issue in any way? All 3 HD120's are plugged directly into fan headers on the MoBo (Chassis Fan #1 - #3). Both Fan Hubs and the CPro are plugged into SATA cables coming directly from the PSU (along with the SATA cable required by the HD150i). That's 4 devices coming off the same SATA string - is that an issue in any way? I can't see it being an issue. Also, iCUE is reporting the correct voltage for the CPro, so power draw doesn't appear to be the cause here. Just thinking out loud at this point.

The LL120's are plugged into the 3 headers that came with the HD150i Pro, which is then plugged into the CPU_FAN header.

Short of replacing the HD120's with LL120's, I'm out of things to try.

• Corsair Employee
Couldn't see any reason why it would be a power issue, but the more you explain the issue, the more it lean towards the hub in my opinion. Contact our RMA and get a replacement RGB hub, that should take care of it.

Greybeard - thanks for the reply, but i don’t think it’s a RGB Hub issue, because I was able to replicate the issue by plugging all 3 HD120’s into the RGB Hub that I was using to successfully light up my 3 LL120’s (I unplugged the LL120’s first, and used iCue to set the correct Fan type).

The saga comes to an end. It wasn’t a power, rgb fan hub or cpro issue. One of the HD120’s must’ve been bad, because I replaced all 3 of them with newly acquired LL120’s and all 3 light up. All other hardware was the same.

its strange that all 3 HD120’s would light up fully in Port #1 only, on the RGB fan hub. That kinda told me that the HD120’s were good.

I guess not. Case closed (literally and figuratively).

Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions. It’s really appreciated.

Matt

• 10 months later...

Archived