Corsair Community

HX750i fan never stops

mark007

Hi,

I have purchased a new HX750i for my HTPC with the intention of having a silent system. I have the Corsair Link software installed and can see the Power In idling around 160W and Power Out at ~150W as we speak.

I am slightly concerned however about the control of the power supplys fan speed.

In the link software I can see the temperature of the PSU around 20.5C, the fan always seems to hover at ~470-480rpm. I don't ever see it completely stopping.

If I change the fan mode via Link from "Default Mode" to "Fixed" I can manually change it from 40% - 100% and this all works fine. When I switch back to "Default Mode" then and only then does the fan rpm drop to 0 as I would have expected. Within about 1 minute, it again turns back on though to ~480rpm again.

I just want to know why its not staying in 0rpm mode all the time under pretty much no load at all and very low temperatures? Is there a bug in the fan controller software / logic to make it only go to 0 rpm when I switch from Fixed back to Default?

If so could the likes of this be fixed via firmware update or anything?

Regards,

Mark

• Corsair Employee

That's odd. With that low of a load, that fan shouldn't be spinning. Unless it is REALLY HOT inside that HTPC. Thing is... Link says the PSU temperature is only 205°C.. which, if that's correct, is actually QUITE COLD!!!

Assuming the PSU's temperature reading is wrong: What case are you using? What fans are in the case? Do you have any software installed that can tell us what the ambient temperature in the PC is?

At the end of the day, it could be just a bad PSU. There's two thermistors inside the PSU. One measures ambient temps and that's the one that's reported by Link. The other is mounted to the heatsink and that's the one that controls the fan. Could be the latter thermistor isn't mounted correctly or is malfunctioning.

OK thanks alot for the reply. I may just leave it, cost of shipping back to the original location probably isn't worth it.

Can the fan speed be controlled manually via link (below 40%) or through speedfan? I can't seem to find a way to get fans to 0% through other software.

I have an Antec Fusion Remote Max case, 2 case fans, GTX 980, core i7 920 with TRUE heatsink. This GTX 980 seems really efficient so doesn't generate alot of heat. Weather is really cold in Ireland lately so everything in the case is running very cool. The PSU is isolated in its own compartment in this case . CPUID HWMonitor is saying my SYSTIN is 29C, cpu idling at 40C.

Even at idle, is 20.5C on the PSU an indication that its defective? Is the fan curve stored within its firmware or can it be controlled via software? I am just wondering at what point is it supposed to move fans to 0 rpm, ie < XX degrees C, or under XX Watts?

Regards,

Mark

• Corsair Employee
OK thanks alot for the reply. I may just leave it, cost of shipping back to the original location probably isn't worth it.

Corsair now has an RMA location in the UK: http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138490

Can the fan speed be controlled manually via link (below 40%) or through speedfan? I can't seem to find a way to get fans to 0% through other software.

Yes. Link allows you to control the fan on an HXi, but not below 40%. But 40% should be very, very quiet. That's why I think maybe the fan controller may be borked. You can try setting it to 40% and see if it ever ramps up beyond that point. It's worth a shot and keeping the air moving through the PSU may keep the PSU temps low enough to where it might not ramp up any faster than 40%.

I have an Antec Fusion Remote Max case, 2 case fans, GTX 980, core i7 920 with TRUE heatsink. This GTX 980 seems really efficient so doesn't generate alot of heat. Weather is really cold in Ireland lately so everything in the case is running very cool. The PSU is isolated in its own compartment in this case . CPUID HWMonitor is saying my SYSTIN is 29C, cpu idling at 40C.

Even at idle, is 20.5C on the PSU an indication that its defective? Is the fan curve stored within its firmware or can it be controlled via software? I am just wondering at what point is it supposed to move fans to 0 rpm, ie < XX degrees C, or under XX Watts?

So definitely you have some decent airflow through that case. Even if you could program the PSUs firmware, if that thermistor wasn't installed correctly at the factory and it's giving false readings, firmware isn't going to fix that. That's a hardware issue.

Archived