Corsair Community

K90 dissapointment

Uileat

I just received my K90 MMO keyboard last night. I ordered it from Amazon. On Amazon it lists:

Corsair Vengeance K90 Performance MMO Mechanical Gaming Keyboard

and in the descriptions:

Cherry MX Red Mechanical key switches

Cherry® MX Red key switches are the best of the best — they provide the sensitivity and low operating force that professional gamers love. Reaction times are ulra-fast and responsive for quicker double and triple taps. The action is predictable and linear unlike lesser gaming keyboards that have a tactile bump or the annoying click of a typist’s keyboard.

Well only some of the keys are Cherry red! I feel like it was false advertising. I first noticed when I was pressing for example Delete and Esc and it felt odd. When you pull the key it is easy to see that it is not the red switch.

So after that I decided to set up some of the gaming keys in the new Star Wars mmo game. I also have a Logitech G13 pad (which works perfectly and great, easy to use) and I thought the G keys on the left side of the keyboard would greatly compliment my G13 pad.

Well, the software is not as easy to use, and I had to download it from the website because there was no disc. And now I find that the game keys don't seem to actually work, even when I show the binds in the software.

Well I have come to this forum now and read some of the posts and I wish I had come before I bought the keyboard. Maybe I still would have bought it if the keys worked correctly, but they need to advertise that only some keys are mechanical. This is disappointing. I certainly would have waited to see if they fixed the software problems also before purchasing.

I was hoping to get the matching mouse too and got the availability message from Amazon but there's no way I'm getting it now until people on the forum say that it is fixed.

For shame Corsair, this product cannot have been tested properly, I am very disappointed.

Yeah, sadly both the K-series and the M-series products were all rushed for xmas. You're not the only one who made the mistake of buying some of these awful products.

I'm just hoping Corsair learns its lesson and pulls out of the market to save other people headaches. I had planned on using a lot of Corsair equipment for my new rig, but there's not a chance I'm going with any of their hardware now, not after watching them pull this stunt.

Yeah, sadly both the K-series and the M-series products were all rushed for xmas. You're not the only one who made the mistake of buying some of these awful products.

I'm just hoping Corsair learns its lesson and pulls out of the market to save other people headaches. I had planned on using a lot of Corsair equipment for my new rig, but there's not a chance I'm going with any of their hardware now, not after watching them pull this stunt.

A bit of an over-reaction, methinks?

IMHO (again) these are excellent for those gamers initially moving over from non-mechanical keyboards. Remember, these are marketed as "Gaming" keyboards, it's even in the name of the keyboard. Granted, there are those who game that prefer full-mechanical, but there is a place in the world of gaming for the Corsair "hybrid" solution. If you want full mechanical, there are plenty out there. These aren't aimed at typists and they are the first releases in what I expect to be a more comprehensive keyboard lineup in the future. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect Corsair to release fully mechanical eventually but many companies are loathe to mention upcoming products when they are so far off that the release date is completely unpredictable.

I switched after using Microsoft, Saitek, and Logitech keyboards to a K60 and have no issues with the hybrid type that Corsair went with. After I came up with a way to cast a soft light onto the tops of the keys from under my monitor stand I don't even regret that it isn't backlit, as I don't have to worry about an LED giving out prematurely this way. You may dismiss my viewpoint because I'm not a longtime mechanical keyboard user, but I see it as I'm in their target market - and perhaps you are not, but maybe someday not too far off they will have one that is exactly what you wanted all along. Brings to mind the old saying - You can't please all people, all the time.

If you have an issue with them being advertised as mechanical when it is only the majority of them that are in fact so, that's your perogative - in an ideal world I suppose I would suggest naming mine the Vengeance® K60 Performance FPS Hybrid-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard. Inserting the word "hybrid" would explain more clearly what they did with their design, but the fact remains that the keyboard is not an awful product for all of us out there. It's just your opinion... just like your statement that they were rushed for Xmas.

It would take less time (if you'd think about it) to release a fully mechanical design. The design was on purpose, and the argument that some have given that this was simply a cost-cutting measure is equally flawed. It is in fact more complex to do the mix of keyswitch types - it would have been simpler to do a full Cherry MX board, as they could have been based on an existing design, and skinned with aluminum.

Again, just my humble opinion as a 47yr old guy that got heavily into computers around 20yrs ago and has spent too much of my free time on them ever since. Oh, and I worked in QC at Dell manufacturing for 5yrs back in the glory days before the initial tech industry downturn - not that it's really a relevant point now.

BTW - to the OP - give the keyboard a chance, you may like it. Changes in input devices always take a little time to get used to. Also, I agree that once everyone at Corsair gets fully over the holidays, we should see some software revisions.

BTW - to the OP - give the keyboard a chance, you may like it. Changes in input devices always take a little time to get used to. Also, I agree that once everyone at Corsair gets fully over the holidays, we should see some software revisions.

Just to make it clear, I AM keeping the keyboard, because I bought it because I did like it, and the typing keys are great. But there was no indication of the non-Cherry keys on Amazon at all. I think the build quality is fantastic, and the keyboard is beautiful. I am hoping the software issues get sorted soon so I can actually use the macro keys.

Thank you for your replies.

Do you have proof to back up your statement / opinion that they were rushed for the holidays?

How is he supposed to present "proof"?

I am sitting here with a mouse with only 1/3 of its buttons working due to "a known bug". Please don't try to convince me this was not a known issue when the hardware was shipped...

I Have bought Corsair cases, power supplies and memory knowing they are among the best money can buy. But I'm afraid I can't say that about the M90 I just bought. Saying that this product was not rushed is saying Corsair thinks that 5 out of 15 buttons working on a mouse is to be considered "ok". Do you think the drivers is the kind of quality I should expect from Corsair now and in the future?

A selectable report rate being listed on Corsair's website for the K90 as an option via drivers only for it to have no such option when it was released.

No documentation or instructions being included with the keyboard in the packaging nor any being provided on Corsair's website on how to use the drivers and what everything does specifically. Most if not all computer peripherals have at least this provided in the products box especially if the product requires a driver for its listed features/options to all be used properly.

Corsair's own tech support even on the forums not having much info about this keyboard or acknowledging there is an issue with the drivers even with their mice is another loose example as generally if a product wasn't rushed, there would be more support on the forums & website since due to a lack of instructions or guide being provided in the products packaging.

I just received my K90 MMO keyboard last night. I ordered it from Amazon. On Amazon it lists:

Corsair Vengeance K90 Performance MMO Mechanical Gaming Keyboard

and in the descriptions:

Cherry MX Red Mechanical key switches

Cherry® MX Red key switches are the best of the best — they provide the sensitivity and low operating force that professional gamers love. Reaction times are ulra-fast and responsive for quicker double and triple taps. The action is predictable and linear unlike lesser gaming keyboards that have a tactile bump or the annoying click of a typist’s keyboard.

Well only some of the keys are Cherry red! I feel like it was false advertising. I first noticed when I was pressing for example Delete and Esc and it felt odd. When you pull the key it is easy to see that it is not the red switch.

So after that I decided to set up some of the gaming keys in the new Star Wars mmo game. I also have a Logitech G13 pad (which works perfectly and great, easy to use) and I thought the G keys on the left side of the keyboard would greatly compliment my G13 pad.

Well, the software is not as easy to use, and I had to download it from the website because there was no disc. And now I find that the game keys don't seem to actually work, even when I show the binds in the software.

Well I have come to this forum now and read some of the posts and I wish I had come before I bought the keyboard. Maybe I still would have bought it if the keys worked correctly, but they need to advertise that only some keys are mechanical. This is disappointing. I certainly would have waited to see if they fixed the software problems also before purchasing.

I was hoping to get the matching mouse too and got the availability message from Amazon but there's no way I'm getting it now until people on the forum say that it is fixed.

For shame Corsair, this product cannot have been tested properly, I am very disappointed.

Thanks for your review. But all software bugs can fix and Razer's driver problems are terrible then Corsair.

Archived