Corsair Community

m60 and linux

GiGGz

Hi,

I'm searching a gaming mouse. The design of the m60 is great...and it could be a nice thing under the Holidays tree...BUT I'm a Windows and Linux user. I know that there is no software or specific driver under Linux for the m60.

My questions:

- is there someone here who test the m60 under linux ?

- what are the defaults settings of the m60 ? Are there defaults profiles ? what is the default latency ? and so on...

- are the modified settings saved in the m60 ? If I configure the latency under windows, will I have the modified latency under linux or the default latency ?

- the sniper button: Do I need the corsair software to use the sniper button or will it divide the DPI directly in the mouse without any driver ?

Thx a lot,

Best regards,

GiGGz

hi, what i can tell you is based on my experience with it on Windows 7(64 bits).

I didn't install any software/drivers for it (due to some complaints software wise all over the forum). I just plug it and windows installed it's default drivers.

The sniper button works and so the DPI butons Up and Down ( 3 stages indicator).

When choosing stage 2 or 3 via buttons (i don't know to what DPI reading, since I don't use any software) i see an increase in speed as expected with a higher DPI.

Pushing the "sniper button" will decrease movement speed as per stage 1 of the DPI indicator.

Also i dont have a software to show me the latency used. If you know of one ,let me know.

Hope this give's you some thoughts on how it will act on linux.

Thx for your answer!

I got a m60. It seems to work under linux (debian lenny)! a good thing :) the dpi change works; the sniper button too. I have to configure a few things to be sure. But for the moment it is good.

I hope I can modified the dpi settings under win7 with the corsair software and then use them under linux.

But I agree with all what I read here...for example the wheel is really hard to reach.

Hi there, I also purchased an M60 today to replace an aging, shorting G9.

To get the most smoothness out of the mouse in Linux, you want to adjust usbhid's polling rate:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mouse_Polling_Rate

I run Arch Linux, these instructions shouldn't differ too much on Debian. My keyboard is also a fast poller (Razer BlackWidow Ultimate).

Notes for the technical:

The "target" button, which decreases DPI automatically is transparent to the OS (so that functionality works), but the button still sends an event to OS. You will need to configure Xorg / KDE / Gnome / etc to ignore this event (a button press). Note that the DPI controls also send events to the OS.

(To understand: go to Google in Chrome/Chromium/Firefox/etc and click in the Search bar. You will see a flashing cursor showing focus. If you hover over the URL bar in the browser, and press the "target" button, focus will shift to the URL bar, when this should only lower the DPI dynamically.)

Thx for your reply!

Yeah I have noticed the problem with the sniper button for example. I tried to deactivate it with xinput...but for the moment without success. I will try it on debian squeeze. It is a bit "newer".

Thx for the tips for the polling rate. I will take a look.

have you tried to modify the settings of the m60 with the corsair software under windows and then to use the mice under linux ?

How many button is Xorg seing ? Under debian lenny Xorg sees 9 Buttons...strange for a 8 buttons mouse :) and the backward and the sniper buttons are both recognize as the button 8.

If you find a good configuration for your m60 under Arch, could you please post it here ?

EDIT: I have tested with debian squeeze. It gives different results: the mouse is detected with 20 buttons. and all the buttons have a different one (good news!). To disable the sniper, DPI up and DPI down button I add a file under /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d with:

cat /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-mouse-corsair-m60.conf

Section "InputClass"

Identifier "Corsair Vengeance M60 Mouse"

MatchIsPointer "on"

MatchProduct "Corsair Vengeance M60 Mouse"

Option "ButtonMapping" "1 2 3 4 5 0 0 8 9 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0"

# set the following to 1 1 0 respectively to disable acceleration.

# Option "AccelerationNumerator" "1"

# Option "AccelerationDenominator" "1"

# Option "AccelerationThreshold" "0"

# Option "ConstantDeceleration" "3"

EndSection

It works after a restart of your display manager.

I'm always searching how can I reduce the resolution of the mouse...for example that the resolution of the mouse is divided by 2 thanks xorg. I can use:

xinput --set-prop 10 'Device Accel Constant Deceleration' 2 in a terminal. it works under gnome. But I can't use the Option "ConstantDeceleration" "3" in the xorg.conf...to solve that I'm using temporary a file under /etc/X11/Xsession.d which set this setting.

Regards

I tried to modified the DPI with the Corsair software under windows. it works under windows. Then I saved the profile in the m60 with the button save to m60...but under linux I get the default DPI (800, 2400, 5700)...so the save to m60 button doesn't work.

I'm ready for a new mouse myself (Logitech G5 is worn out after 3 years). So if I'm reading this correctly, the M60 "mostly" works in Linux. One of the biggest reasons I'm looking at this mouse is the sniper button. However, if I can't configure it I don't think it will be very useful. Switching from 5700 dpi to 800 dpi would slow things down way too much. Is the sniper button usable if switching from the middle dpi setting?

Hi,

per default the sniper button is set to 800 DPI (like the low level).

For the moment I'm using a software deceleration of 3 so I get 800/3, 2400/3 and 5700/3 for the 3 settings. The sniper is 800/3 too.

I hope Corsair will modify the windows software in order to save in the mouse the DPI for each level.

Yeah I have noticed the problem with the sniper button for example.
I don't think its really a "problem", its actually good an event kicks off to the OS. Most widget toolkits however don't ignore events they don't understand from the mouse, which is unexpected and the user just needs to configure this behavior if it bothers them.

BTW Your Xorg solution = awesome, thanks.

have you tried to modify the settings of the m60 with the corsair software under windows and then to use the mice under linux ?
No, I haven't sorry. I don't have a copy of Windows.

How many button is Xorg seing ? Under debian lenny Xorg sees 9 Buttons...strange for a 8 buttons mouse :) and the backward and the sniper buttons are both recognize as the button 8.
Mine shows 9 buttons. I think the scroll wheel's wheel action (not just depress) shows up as a button event. My back button does NOT send the same event as my sniper button, though... you might want to look into that.

If you find a good configuration for your m60 under Arch, could you please post it here ?
Beyond the ultrapolling and your excellent InputClass section example I think the 99% use case is covered.

I'm always searching how can I reduce the resolution of the mouse...for example that the resolution of the mouse is divided by 2 thanks xorg. I can use:

xinput --set-prop 10 'Device Accel Constant Deceleration' 2 in a terminal. it works under gnome. But I can't use the Option "ConstantDeceleration" "3" in the xorg.conf...to solve that I'm using temporary a file under /etc/X11/Xsession.d which set this setting.

Regards

Yeah, xinit scripts just to tweak the mouse every time? That's ugly. Does the ConstantDeceleration option show up in the Xorg log (/var/log/Xorg.0.log) as being invalid or ignored, or what? I would like to look into this as well.

Micro review for the Linux user: All in all, after a week or so of using this I have to say its the smoothest mouse I've ever used. I was looking at the Saitek/Cyborg R.A.T. 7 for its tweakability but this one is "no BS" and I really have no regrets. Everything works perfectly under Linux, and studdery mouse action in Nexuiz / WINE games I became accustomed to with my G9 is gone.

Holy cow. a good keyboard and good mouse can do wonders for the computer experience.

I have compiled evhz in order to evaluate the frenquency of the m60. I have not modified the usbhid default...but I get 1000Hz. strange isn't it ? Do you know if usbhid adapt its frenquency now ?

Regards

I noticed this as well... do you have any other mice? What do they report?

I don't have any cheap mice to test with.

I noticed this as well... do you have any other mice? What do they report?

I don't have any cheap mice to test with.

I did a test with a normal mice. evhz gives 125Hz on the same Hub.

strange...perhaps evhz tests directly the devices and not the devices through the hub...but I don't explain how... :)

Archived