Corsair Community

Bricked 2x Corsair Force GT

Wert

Hello,

I have two Corsair Force GT 240GB drives that were recently bricked in my main desktop. Unfortunately, this isn't the first or second time this has happened - it's the third. Each time I've had these drives RMAd graciously by Corsair and since this is the third time I'm convinced that there must be some hardware configuration or compatibility issue that's causing this.

I'm looking for guidance in this issue as to what is actually causing the problem and then if there is an appropriate solution. Note that my motherboard, the EVGA x58 Classified 3 has two SATA controllers - a Marvell 9128 (SATA III) and an Intel ICH10R (SATA II). Each time these drives were bricked I had them hooked up to the SATA III controller presumably to enjoy the extra bandwidth. If I remember correctly the motherboard was made in the early days of SATA III and reading on the forums people have had some difficulties with this particular Marvell controller. I was wondering if anybody else has run into similar issues before with the Marvell 9128 and Corsair SSDs.

A little bit more about the particular configuration of the system. The first time and most recent time the drives failed one was a boot drive and the other was used for storing data. The second time they were in RAID 0. I'd reprovision the system with the new drives and install Windows 7 and my software. The system would run beautifully for a few months and then out of nowhere blue screen and not come back up.

I believe these drives may be outside of warranty at this point and I'd feel a little bad sending them back to Corsair for a 3rd RMA if it's my systems fault. Is there any way for me to possibly recover them - like flash the firmware or something? If I am able to recover them I would probably plug them into the Intel SATA II controller. I was going to run some tests but does anyone have an idea about what kind of performance drop I should expect if the drives are on the Intel SATA II as opposed to the Marvell SATA III?

An interesting side note: these two drives are not the first Corsair Force GTs I've owned. Prior to purchasing them I had a single Corsair Force GT 240GB installed in the system. Although it's same model its very apparently an earlier revision since the drive form factor is different (taller and edges aren't as rounded). I've never had any problems with this drive and have used it in the system for a year before purchasing the two SSDs and intermittent time when I was RMAing the two drives.

Thanks,

Wert

Luckily I was just able to recover the two drives in another system. For some reason neither Windows nor OS X were able to even recognize them and load drivers. I wiped out whatever bad data was on there and rewrote the MBR.

I then put them back in the original system and brought up the Corsair SSD toolbox which shows everything within normal ranges on the S.M.A.R.T. Status page. I've also run a few additional read/write tests and they seem to be fine.

I did move the SATA plugs over to the Intel controller as opposed to the Marvell one which will hopefully prevent this issue from occurring in the future. I'm also looking into a UPS.

Archived