Corsair Community

CM128GX4M8Z2933C16 has memory errors when running at 2933

Patch

I am having difficulty running CM128GX4M8Z2933C16 at 2933 mhz at XMP settings and voltage or 1.35.

Currently using the Asus Strixx x399-e with AMD 2950x.

I am able to run it stable at 2666.

The system posts and will actually run, but if I run it for long periods of time, or play games it will crash. Running memtestx86 will eventually give failed memory results and will crash memtest.

Should I be looking for help her, or am I better off contacting people more familiar with ASUS? I prefer not to raise the voltage much higher than 1.35?

Should I be running them at a slower latency than the test amount?

Memory Series VENGEANCE RGB

Memory Type DDR4

Memory Size 128GB Kit (8 x 16GB)

Tested Latency 16-18-18-36

Tested Voltage 1.35V

Tested Speed 2933MHz

Thanks

Thanks. I did try that. The setting there were actually lower cas at 14-14-14-14. Much better than the XMP settings and it did post and run memtest. However it eventually failed as well.

I'm wondering if my SOC voltage is not correct or if I need a little more cooling.

xnFQHqA.png

When running my temps are hitting 112 on some of the sticks when monitored using HWMonitor. A few egress

I have not aggressively pushed the cooling in this system.

• Corsair Employee

Hello Patch,

Are you running any overclock? I would suggest testing the memory with the system at full defaults. The spec for DDR4 is up to 1.35v, but we even have some kits rated above this. As long as you have good cooling your system, it should be fine to try raising it just a little bit.

Thanks. I did try that. The setting there were actually lower cas at 14-14-14-14. Much better than the XMP settings and it did post and run memtest. However it eventually failed as well.

I'm wondering if my SOC voltage is not correct or if I need a little more cooling.

When running my temps are hitting 112 on some of the sticks when monitored using HWMonitor. A few egress

I have not aggressively pushed the cooling in this system.

Have you used some software to verify the die type of your ram?

Are you sure your CM128GX4M8Z2933C16 kit is actually B-die?

Can you provide screen shots of Ryzen Timing Checker at 2666 (your stable settings) and 2933 to compare to DRAM Calculator?

Your ram temps observation is interesting. I can't really say if it's ok or bad. Force some airflow to them see what happens.

Thanks for pointing out Ryzen Timing Checking. I wasn't aware of this tool I had been reading the timing from Ryzen Master, but it didn't provide the clock speeds.

It looks like when it is set for AUTO, I have been running at 2933 all along. Thought, I'm not entirely sure it was, because I previously saw 1333 in CPU-z.

JvW7qWH.png

So my new question is, should I be able to run the below XMP settings with the lower 16 CL or should I leave it at 18?

My goal frequency was below, which I believe is the XMP values:

FREQUENCY CAS RCD RP RAS RC FAW RRDS RRDL

1468 MHz 16 18 18 36 54 33 6 8

Here is the additional information asked for that I will continue posting for curiosity sake.

I checked my die type using Thaiphoon Burner:

dk7v82Q.png

Here is the system using the safe settings from dram calculator:

UY2HBZM.png

Memtest Results:

Ysztdxc.png

Thanks for pointing out Ryzen Timing Checking. I wasn't aware of this tool I had been reading the timing from Ryzen Master, but it didn't provide the clock speeds.

It looks like when it is set for AUTO, I have been running at 2933 all along. Thought, I'm not entirely sure it was, because I previously saw 1333 in CPU-z.

So my new question is, should I be able to run the below XMP settings with the lower 16 CL or should I leave it at 18?

My goal frequency was below, which I believe is the XMP values:

FREQUENCY CAS RCD RP RAS RC FAW RRDS RRDL

1468 MHz 16 18 18 36 54 33 6 8

Here is the additional information asked for that I will continue posting for curiosity sake.

I checked my die type using Thaiphoon Burner:

Here is the system using the safe settings from dram calculator:

Memtest Results:

Patch,

Ok wow it seems you do have 128GB of Samsung B-die, that is good as that seems to be best for compatibility. So here are my thoughts on the matter.

Keep in mind you are putting in a full load of ram which will stress your memory controller to the maximum. I peeked at your motherboard QVL list but that ram kit you specified is not on it. If you can't get the frequency as high as you hoped or the memory timings as low as you hoped it may simply be due to the overall load and compatibility of the system at it is.

I can't find a good ram speed document yet for threadripper but since it is the higher quality big brother to Ryzen (and more of it) it may still follow a similar pattern of reduced memory speed as the load on the system increases. For example see here...

https://www.pugetsystems.com/blog/2018/06/06/2nd-Gen-AMD-Ryzen-Supported-RAM-Speeds-1175/

Many people seem to have issues with XMP on Ryzen in general so if you are running with AUTO for all memory settings and it's stable, lets stick with that (not setting XMP) and manually set the ram to DDR4-2933 instead with DRAM voltage manually set to @1.35v since your XMP profile says it can handle that. Then reboot verify memory timings again. Then go back into your BIOS/UEFI and punch in the AUTO values of the primary timings manually, reboot and retest to make sure it's ok.

If you are stable at this point from here you can trim down your primary memory timings incrementally downward to what is indicated for your XMP profile or Dram Calculator, or even further if you don't mind taking that time to really tweak the performance out of your memory. Once you have optimized the primary timings you can give the secondary timings a trim if you are so inclined. If you can't hit all the timings as indicated by XMP or DRAM Calculator you may still be able to get quite close.

I had come across a post somewhere on the internet that suggested 2933 is what you might expect for 128GB on threadripper and 3200 possible at 64GB. But you may want to browse around the internet to try and find some confirmation on that scenario.

I don't have a threadripper system so I can't give you any specific advice on that other than what I have experience on my Ryzen system and any info I have managed to stumble across trying to overclock my own system.

I hope this has helped you.

Archived