Corsair Community

Lighting Node Pro - Have to keep flashing firmware.

Astral85

Sometimes on reboot the Node Pro LED strips are not functioning and it does not appear in Link. Checking for updates and then re-flashing firmware 0.4.94 makes it work again. Sometimes after gaming the LED's go static, disappears from Link again and requires flashing the firmware again to make it work. It's beyond my expertise to know what's going on here.

I have upgraded to version 4.8.2.1. I can't say whether there has been a change with the Node Pro yet but I do have another question regarding the latest Link version. I remember the reason I continued to use the older version of Link is because recent versions are requiring administrator privilege to run. This means because I run from a standard user account that Link won't start up with Windows and requires to be run as administrator after Windows has loaded. Also the newer versions requiring admin privilege cannot be run from an icon pinned to the taskbar which is inconvenient.

Is there any particular reason why Link requires administrator privileges to run now? How can I have Link start with Windows from a standard user account without having to manually run it as administrator? I am guessing this could be configured in Task Scheduler but I am not exactly sure how to go about it. Could you look into the running Link from a pinned taskbar icon from a standard user account not working?

Cheers!

The Node Pro hasn't disconnected or lost/prompted to re-flash the firmware in the last 5+ hours running on version 4.8.2.1, so it's looking like it probably had an issue with the older Link version... Looks good anyway.

Next issue would be the administrator restrictions/inconvenience with Link 4.8.2.1 in a standard user account in that it won't start with Windows and won't launch from a taskbar icon/shortcut. Is this something that could be looked at?

I brought the issue up a while back in this thread, post #17 and RedRay gives some explanation as to why he thinks administrator privileges are being used. http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167913&page=2

My request is if Link can be programmed to run from a standard user account the same as it would from an administrator account, i.e. starts with Windows without the need to manually start it with the administrator password. The other issue I think related to admin privileges is the Link icon pinned to the taskbar not launching Link from a standard user account.

Cheers :)

Not quite, the page size is variable and for me page 2 starts at post #41.

When linking I advise you to link directly to the post as I did.

I see, I do not know how to do that hence giving the post numbers instead. Would you be kind enough to instruct on how to do that?

I see, I do not know how to do that hence giving the post numbers instead. Would you be kind enough to instruct on how to do that?

Looking at your original post it's POST ID # = 919997

So you to link to it you should use http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=919997.

Basically ?p=<post number>. Does this make sense?

It's also possible to use http://forum.corsair.com/forums/misc.php?do=bbcode#post but I tend not to use this method.

Yes, I don't think it's written down and suspect I reverse engineered this a few years ago :biggrin:

Great, thanks for that, always something new to learn. :biggrin:

Now I wonder if the admin stuff with Link can be looked into. I guess this could be configured in Task Scheduler but I am not highly adept in that area. I guess allowing other users to run the task other than administrator should work but I have trouble getting that to work with other programs in the past.

If you click the post number in the top right, e.g. this is # 21, that will give you a link directly to the post. If you want to know the post ID for some reason, yes, it's in the URL, but it's also in the top right of each post.

If you want to quote a post, just hit the QUOTE button below it, and then respond. If you want to quote a post in a different thread, just copy the text you see after hitting the QUOTE button.

If you click the post number in the top right, e.g. this is # 21, that will give you a link directly to the post. If you want to know the post ID for some reason, yes, it's in the URL, but it's also in the top right of each post.

If you want to quote a post, just hit the QUOTE button below it, and then respond. If you want to quote a post in a different thread, just copy the text you see after hitting the QUOTE button.

I see, thanks! :biggrin:

Huh. Clicking on the post number in the upper right works better for getting the link of a specific post than the way I have been doing it so thank you for pointing this out. But can we get back to the topic at hand which is having to have admin rights to run the latest version of Corsair Link? There are a number of posts about this problem so it is troubling that Corsair seems to be unaware of it until now. Perhaps with so many problems with Corsair Link and various firmware issues, it may be difficult to keep track of them all.

That said, now that this problem has been brought up (again), what is the solution and when will it be implemented? I am not even going to ask how this got past validation testing before release, but it does make one wonder about Corsair's software validation process.

• Corsair Employee

We're aware of this. I actually just found out about this issue (I've only been PM for Link for a couple of months) and flagged the bug as top priority.

To be honest, most of us just disable UAC on our systems. The problem could be as simple as all the power nerds at Corsair just never thinking to check with UAC enabled, and it's possible the bug was previously listed as low priority. THAT has been corrected and it's on the engineering team's radar as something that needs to be fixed ASAP.

I actually just found out about this issue (I've only been PM for Link for a couple of months) and flagged the bug as top priority.

I reported this issue to Corsair on Mon 05-Jun-2017 @ 23:52 and also specified how I would address it. What the e-mail said is:

Assuming the CPUID SDK was used in the GUI just for AMD Radeon there is a far better solution. The advantages and what is needed are:

1. The GUI does not need ADMIN rights
  2. The CPUID SDK is not used in the GUI
  3. The CPUID SDK in the service should not get held up by the GUI so CL4 would start-up faster
  4. If there are start-up bugs in the CPUID SDK then this will not cause all the issues CL 4.7.0.77 has
  5. The nVidia GPU + Intel GPU only need to be in the service anyway.
  6. Basically all the CL4 developers need to do is directly use http://developer.amd.com/display-library-adl-sdk/ (This is the current URL and was originally different)
  7. Call ADL_Main_Control_Create(ADL_Main_Memory_Alloc, 1 ) to initialise things
  8. Call ADL_Adapter_NumberOfAdapters_Get() to get the # GPUs
  9. Call ADL_Adapter_AdapterInfo_Get() to get all the GPU IDs
  10. For each GPU call ADL_Overdrive6_Temperature_Get() to get the temp + ADL_Overdrive6_FanSpeed_Get() for the fan speed.
  11. Loop back to #8 for each update
  12. Call ADL_Main_Control_Destroy() to cleanup.
  13. I don’t know what CL4 does about using AMD GPU temps to control fans, but the GUI could still pass them to the service.
  14. The following code should save them some time
  15. I suspect it would take me a couple of hours tops.

It really is quite easy and would be a far better solution.

/* ------------------------------------------------------------------------ */

typedef LONG ( __cdecl *ADL_MAIN_CONTROL_CREATE                 )( ADL_MAIN_MALLOC_CALLBACK, LONG                                     );
typedef LONG ( __cdecl *ADL_MAIN_CONTROL_DESTROY                )(                                                                    );
typedef LONG ( __cdecl *ADL_ADAPTER_NUMBEROFADAPTERS_GET        )( LONG        *                                                      );
typedef LONG ( __cdecl *ADL_ADAPTER_ADAPTERINFO_GET             )( AdapterInfo *,            LONG                                     );
typedef LONG ( __cdecl *ADL_OVERDRIVE6_TEMPERATURE_GET          )( LONG,                             LONG                   *         );
typedef LONG ( __cdecl *ADL_OVERDRIVE5_TEMPERATURE_GET          )( LONG,                     LONG,   ADLTemperature         *         );
typedef LONG ( __cdecl *ADL_OVERDRIVE6_FANSPEED_GET             )( LONG,                             ADLOD6FanSpeedInfo     *         );
typedef LONG ( __cdecl *ADL_OVERDRIVE5_FANSPEED_GET             )( LONG,                     LONG,   ADLFanSpeedValue       *         );

ADL_MAIN_CONTROL_CREATE                 pADL_Main_Control_Create;
   ADL_MAIN_CONTROL_DESTROY                pADL_Main_Control_Destroy;
   ADL_ADAPTER_NUMBEROFADAPTERS_GET        pADL_Adapter_NumberOfAdapters_Get;
   ADL_ADAPTER_ADAPTERINFO_GET             pADL_Adapter_AdapterInfo_Get;
   ADL_OVERDRIVE6_TEMPERATURE_GET          pADL_Overdrive6_Temperature_Get;
   ADL_OVERDRIVE5_TEMPERATURE_GET          pADL_Overdrive5_Temperature_Get;
   ADL_OVERDRIVE6_FANSPEED_GET             pADL_Overdrive6_FanSpeed_Get;
   ADL_OVERDRIVE5_FANSPEED_GET             pADL_Overdrive5_FanSpeed_Get;

VOID * __stdcall ADL_Main_Memory_Alloc( int siz )
{
 return HeapAlloc( GetProcessHeap(), HEAP_ZERO_MEMORY, siz );
}

VOID __stdcall ADL_Main_Memory_Free( VOID **ptr )
{
 if( (  ptr ) &&
     ( *ptr ) )
 {
   HeapFree( GetProcessHeap(), 0, *ptr );

*ptr = NULL;
 }

return;
}

This is based is what I found shortly after CL 4.7.0.77 was released and what I said in http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=903725.

Archived