Corsair Community

Carbide Air 540 Radiator Compatibility

mjgr33n

I have read numerous threads on here and elsewhere about what fits and does not in this case but still a little unsure and would like to figure a few things out space wise in the case before ordering :)

I am currently using an Obsidian 800D Case with TFC Exchange 360 Radiator 62mm Thickness and Hardware Labs Black Ice SR1 120 54mm Thickness, I also have a spare Hardware Labs Black Ice GTX140 54mm Thickness on my shelves, just needs a good clean.

But the problem I find is my 800D is a beast and bulky, the Air 540 is less bulky even though it is wider and has more radiator points. And looks easier to move. A 900D would be awesome but is even bigger :P

My plan was to transfer the 360 Radiator into the Air 540 at the front and get a 280 or 240 radiator for the top, I doubt I would fit the 120 or 140 on the rear with such unless I mounted it on the back of the case but possible with some creative holes at the back.

But given what I have read and my 360 radiator is 62mm I am worried it would fit with 280 or 240 radiator, as I have only seen comments given using a 280mm radiator at the front.

So would a 62mm 360 radiator with fans fit inside the front with 280 or 240 radiator with fans at the top or would I need to mount fans on the outside for the 360 radiator and potentially for the 280/240? And what size 280/240 radiator would fit in both cases? 54mm or 31mm?

I may just get it anyway as a project case but it would be nice to plan ahead before doing so :)

• Corsair Employee
60mm think for the top radiator (with 1 set of 25mm thick 120mm fan, no push-pull configuration), you can fit a 60mm thick radiator in the front too, but not both at the same time. the top corners of both radiator will collide.

Thanks, I have ordered the Case.

What size of radiator would I be able to fit at the top of the case if I used my 360x120x62mm radiator at the front plus fans, both internally? A thin 280 or a thick 240?

Or would it be better to get a couple of Hardware Labs Black ICE Radiator SR1 280 at 55mm depth or 1 Hardware Labs Black ICE Radiator SR1 280 plus a Hardware Labs Black ICE Radiator GT Stealth 280 at 31mm depth?

Hello,

I would like to ask in this topic about radiotors.

Can i use radiator 1x280 (338x145x60 mm) + one set of fans on top and at the same time thin radiator 1x360 (390 x 120x 29 mm) + one set of fans on front with dust filter ?

My MB: Asus Maximus V Formula

Graphics card length is around 25 cm.

I would like to know those informations before i will make order.

In the end I used an Alphacool NexXxoS UT60 Full Copper 360mm at the front with the fans on the outside and at the top i used an Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 Full Copper 240mm with fans inside, close fit but is looking good so far, will post some pictures once it is done :) Be aware you need to use angled connectors at the bottom with the front 360mm radiator.

Some early pictures of the build I am doing, not got the motherboard blocks yet but at least you can see what fits etc.

Love how you can make it so tidy at the front, messy at the rear compartment, but lots of cables in there :P

Have cut out a hole in the top back part of the rear compartment so I could fit the combo Reservoir/D5 Pump unit and also I liked the idea of keeping the reservoir higher than the the radiators for once :P

Got orange UV tubing and orange coolant to put in once the motherboard block arrives, also need to put the Corsair Link commander and cooling nodes in from my older pc.

http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/7915/xf8w.jpg

http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/2091/khgj.jpg

And my old 800D build.

http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/9331/nfym.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
Some early pictures of the build I am doing, not got the motherboard blocks yet but at least you can see what fits etc.

Love how you can make it so tidy at the front, messy at the rear compartment, but lots of cables in there :P

Have cut out a hole in the top back part of the rear compartment so I could fit the combo Reservoir/D5 Pump unit and also I liked the idea of keeping the reservoir higher than the the radiators for once :P

Got orange UV tubing and orange coolant to put in once the motherboard block arrives, also need to put the Corsair Link commander and cooling nodes in from my older pc.

http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/7915/xf8w.jpg

http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/2091/khgj.jpg

And my old 800D build.

http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/9331/nfym.jpg

From your first photo it seems that you are using the alphacool ut45 for your top radiator, am I right?

Seems like a pretty tight fit already.

Can anyone tell me if its possible to fit an EK XTX240 (64mm) rad with a single set of fans?

RAM Guy mentioned that it's possible for a 60mm think for the top radiator (with 1 set of 25mm thick 120mm fan, no push-pull configuration) but it seems a bit unlikely given the first photo!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• 2 years later...
Hey I was wondering can I fit a 980 ti 281mm in this case with a front rad? I was thinking like a EK-CoolStream SE 360 in the front its 26mm and then mount the fans on the front of the case like on the outside? Or would it be better if I went with a 240 in the front?

• 4 weeks later...

Would those fit?

Alphacool NexXxoS ST30 360

Alphacool NexXxoS ST30 280

both with fans that are 25mm thick on the inside, and would it be possible to upgrade one or both of them to 45?

Front intake fans will need to be externally mounted in place of the air filter, no matter what.

The 280mm top is something of an issue. The end cap with hose inserts is going to cause an issue on either end. In the front of the case, I have 20mm from the edge of my front 25mm fans to the base corner of a 280mm on the top (ignoring the end cap length). Sicne the Alpha is 30mm, that means the end cap needs to be less than 15mm for the hoses to go to the front. In the back there is space, but it is going to necessitate sacrificing the the rear 140mm fan for a 120mm so you can get the hoses out of the corner. I think a 45mm top 280mm would really put you in a bind with the rear fan.

45mm is out for the front, unless you compromise to a 240mm top. I suspect going to a 240mm top would eliminate quite a few of these issues.

Hey I was wondering can I fit a 980 ti 281mm in this case with a front rad? I was thinking like a EK-CoolStream SE 360 in the front its 26mm and then mount the fans on the front of the case like on the outside? Or would it be better if I went with a 240 in the front?

If you are still considering this, the 240mm front radiator won't save you any space. It will cover either the top two 120mm slots or the bottom two, and both intersect with the PCI-E #1 slot on most every board. You can go ahead and use a 360mm, although please see all the other comments regarding this on this page. It is also conditional on what's up top. \

At 281mm, GPU length should be OK, and yes you will want to mount the fans in the front in place of the air filter. I don't think this is a big compromise, since you likely would want to forgo the additional resistance with a front radiator.

Archived