Corsair Community

Suggestion: USB 3.0 or 3.1 Commander Pro

PopinFRESH

Are there any known plans for updating the Commander Pro with USB 3.0 or USB 3.1? More motherboards are starting to ship without any USB 2.0 headers on them which makes connecting a Commander Pro a challenge as there are very limited option for adding an internal 9pin USB 2.0 header.

It would be great to update the Commander Pro (or make a separate version) that uses an internal 20pin USB 3.0 connection or an internal 19pin USB 3.1 header. This should also have a USB Hub with additional internal USB headers to allow connecting front panel connections to the Commander Pro as most motherboards only have one of these headers on them.

Ideally I would like a USB 3.1 Commander Pro with both USB 3.1 and USB 2.0 headers on a Hub. The internal USB 3.1 header is small enough to fit two of them along with two USB 2.0 headers along the side. This would allow connecting a USB3.1 front panel to the commander while also allowing connection to a 2nd USB 3.1 Commander Pro. Providing a USB 2.0 header on this would also allow people who already have a Commander Pro to connect it to the USB 3.1 Commander Pro without running a separate cable to the motherboard (or if they upgrade to a motherboard without a USB 2.0 header).

I'd like to see USB 3.1 Gen 2. The power delivery options with this are also pretty interesting. I think a big challenge would be getting everything into a compact package.

That is an interesting point that I hadn't considered. They could potentially eliminate the need for the 12v SATA power cable. I think they could fit at least the same equivalent connectivity to the current Commander Pro in about the same package size. Even if they only provided one USB 3.1 header and one USB 2.0 header off the hub this would be a great product

Archived