Bob4K

I use:

- Asrock X69 Extreme9

- I7 3930K

-GTX 1060 3GB

-H115I Pro

-Windows 7 x64

-Corsair Link 4.9.7.35

I set up the led to be green from 40 to 70, and when my PC boots, it's at 55.

But the LED is RED, until I use the software, click on the RED led icon, and type OK.

Then only it turns to green.

It's a bit of an annoyance, I can't see if the cooling is ok at each reboot until I waste time using the software.

Any idea how to fix that?

Thanks.

The cooler cannot read CPU temperature from the motherboard without the software running and a USB cable to transmit the data. There is no getting around that. Three different devices that need to talk to each other.

The only partial solution I can offer is to change your LED reaction scale to coolant temp (might still be labeled H115i Pro Temp in Link). This is something the cooler can natively read and it is not dependent on other devices for the information. It will serve the same purpose in notifying you if there is a problem with the cooler. If the pump stops or flow is restricted, coolant will go up relatively quickly and the LED will change if you are out of your normal zone. As for end CPU temp, that is always going to be additive to the end of the coolant temperature and should be predictable at each boot.

Is your PC really a steady 55C at boot? I don't know how much voltage you're running, but it seems a bit high.

The cooler cannot read CPU temperature from the motherboard without the software running and a USB cable to transmit the data. There is no getting around that. Three different devices that need to talk to each other.

The software does start at boot, and is running when indicating red. The USB cable is of course plugged.

The only partial solution I can offer is to change your LED reaction scale to coolant temp (might still be labeled H115i Pro Temp in Link). This is something the cooler can natively read and it is not dependent on other devices for the information. It will serve the same purpose in notifying you if there is a problem with the cooler. If the pump stops or flow is restricted, coolant will go up relatively quickly and the LED will change if you are out of your normal zone. As for end CPU temp, that is always going to be additive to the end of the coolant temperature and should be predictable at each boot.

Ok, I'll try that. As long as I can see that there is a problem with the pump not running for example, it's enough.

Is your PC really a steady 55C at boot? I don't know how much voltage you're running, but it seems a bit high.

It's an old 6 core overclocked at 4.4.GHz, so yes, it's hot when idle.

I'm toying with the idea of a new i9-9920X overclocked around 5 to 5.2 GHz, would the H115I pro enough for that? Maybe with a push-pull blower configuration? Or would Ineed a 360mm? Room and noise are not an issue. The case is big, and the screen and keyboard are in a different room with a cat 7 extender.

Thanks for the quick reply.

The software does start at boot, and is running when indicating red. The USB cable is of course plugged.

OK, I wasn't sure if you meant during the boot cycle or post Windows load. One thing is for sure, both iCUE and Link have a pretty substantial delay to load once Windows is up and running. Even on new architectures and chipsets running on m.2 and SSDs, it is a good 10-15 second after I get to the desktop before it finished loading my software defined parameters.

I'm toying with the idea of a new i9-9920X overclocked around 5 to 5.2 GHz, would the H115I pro enough for that? Maybe with a push-pull blower configuration? Or would Ineed a 360mm? Room and noise are not an issue. The case is big, and the screen and keyboard are in a different room with a cat 7 extender.

Theoretically the H115i Pro is enough for the 12 core and the differences between any 280mm and 360mm of like design are slim. The 360 has a very slight surface area advantage and the typical design and number of 120mm fans make it slightly more effective at low fan speeds. As the fan speed increases, the 2x140 fans usually make up the gap. My coolant delta on a 8700K@5.0 (~180W) is a measly +4C with the H115i Pro. I think Intel specs the 9920X at around 165W, but that number is pure garbage even at stock, let alone 5GHz. However, that leads to the next question and that is many watts is that on a 12 core at 5.0GHz. Assuming the CPU is stable at that (I have not worked with any of this new line), I am worried your tolerances will be so tight on CPU temperature than any AIO cooler is not going to be enough. It's not that the cooler can't dissipate the heat, but I think you are going to need to claw back every single degree possible. That means trying to get a few back from a custom larger cold plate, dual radiators, and the other benefits of a custom loop. That is most certainly a large and expensive project, but that may be what's required if you want to overclock it that high.

I'll have to experiment, maybe overclock each core separately, some less than the others.

Some reviewers had no problems going that high, but they probably got hand picked samples.

The fact that the I9 no longer uses thermal paste between the die and and the heatspreader will help.

The previous 18 core just cannot be overclocked. Even without overheating, it gives wrong results making WinRAR fail compress a file for example.

I'll post my results here if you're interested.

My first challenge first is going to try to make W7 work here. I chose one of the very rare new mobos (ASRock X299 OC Formula) that still offer W7 drivers, and on floppy format, to try to just move my current W7 system injecting the new drivers with Macrium pro. I give it 50% chances to work. Of course, the system will be on a regular SATA SSD since W7 does not support NVME.

I really hate W10...

The only partial solution I can offer is to change your LED reaction scale to coolant temp (might still be labeled H115i Pro Temp in Link). .

I made some tests by killing the corsair link process and restarting it. A reboot is a pain for my server, so that's simulates it.

Even with H115i Pro Temp in Link, I still get a red LED.

It's the startup that has a problem: it does not check the temperature, whichever you choose. It's a bug that should be reported for a future release.

• 1 month later...

Archived