Corsair Community

Turn Fan Orientation Icue

Marten H-Kirch

Ofcourse Iw as dumb enough to not thing of my fan orientation while mounting the fans. Do I have to unscrew them and put them back in place rotated or is there a way the software can turn them?

Cheers, Marten

There is no way, in the software, to turn them. It's been requested and, IIRC, it's on the long-term roadmap but there's no definite target release for it.

There is no way, in the software, to turn them. It's been requested and, IIRC, it's on the long-term roadmap but there's no definite target release for it.

is that even possible in software? would think it has to do with the positive and negative electricity flow and how the motors are made?

is that even possible in software? would think it has to do with the positive and negative electricity flow and how the motors are made?

Well yes, the fan motor and the RGB Leds are powered by different cables. The LED are all in serial so iCUE just has to do some maths and figure out how to flip things and what order they should be in. Not a trivial task but it doable.

Well yes, the fan motor and the RGB Leds are powered by different cables. The LED are all in serial so iCUE just has to do some maths and figure out how to flip things and what order they should be in. Not a trivial task but it doable.

im not sure we are talking about the same things, from what i understood his comment to mean is he put the fan in upside down and wants icue to be able to run the fan in reverse, i dont think software can run pc fans in reverse as they have a fixed orientation (hence the turn and flow indicators printed on the sides of fans)

im not sure we are talking about the same things, from what i understood his comment to mean is he put the fan in upside down and wants icue to be able to run the fan in reverse, i dont think software can run pc fans in reverse as they have a fixed orientation (hence the turn and flow indicators printed on the sides of fans)

I don't think that we are. Both Inheritance and I are talking about the orientation of the lighting - after all, this is iCue that we're talking about here and 95% of that is about the RGBz. And with some of the effects, the orientation of the fan makes a big difference.

I would agree ... you can't reverse the fan motor. That is more than just the electric motor; it also has to do with the shape of the fan blades. You cannot run them in reverse and get decent results.

Not trivial, but definitely doable. Each light has to have an address somewhere in the code for you to be able to target just a particular LED with a particular effect. Therefore the code theoretically just needs a translation table where RGB1 in the configuration equals the address of RGB5 on the physical device.

• 4 months later...

You know what the worst is? I thought of my fan orientation when corsair 2.x was still a thing. Now with iCue they changed the internal orientation and my pong effect is wrong now... So it cant be even that hard since it worked in old cue.

But yeah right I have to put the fans in right direction so either corsair screwed up in iCue or in old cue.

But nobody from the dev team seems to read this board anyways...

• 2 months later...

thats a shame. i did think about the orientation, but im on a custom water cooling loop and there was no way to put them in that direction. then (being a software developer myself)i thought "its 2019, it has to be configurable"

Disclaimer: I am super-happy with the corsair ecosystem, coming from razer and their pile of garbage they call synapse, icue and the corsair ecosystem are a blessing.

But im going to suggest it anyway: is there any chance for you to make at least parts of your software open source? this is something that many people (including me) would be happy to take a look into. :)

have a beautiful day

But im going to suggest it anyway: is there any chance for you to make at least parts of your software open source? this is something that many people (including me) would be happy to take a look into. :)

have a beautiful day

There are apparently licensing issues with that due to various components that they use. I've asked the same question.

• 2 weeks later...
It's so frustrating because, from a wiring standpoint, it doesn't make any sense to wire top and rear fans in the orientation needed for some of the effects. This feature already exists for the RAM, how hard is it to implement for the fans?

Archived