Corsair Community

1600 Mhz memory runs at 1333 Mhz

Roachman666

My memory is specified as 1600 Mhz, but runs at 1333 Mhz. As I understand it, I'm supposed to enable XMP in the BIOS (Set AI Overclock Tuner to XMP).

When I do this, the BCLK is set to 100 Mhz and the VCCSA is set to 1.2 V. The BCLK value seems to be stock, but the VCCSA value does not. Won't a higher VCCSA value shorten the lifespan of my CPU?

at 1600 its overclocking anyway so it really wont matter. you will already enter the non stock arena so a few tenths of a volt here or there are basically irrelevant of the lifespan since overclocking theoretically shortens the MTBF anyway. (all my rigs are overclocked for years and i havent noticed any difference, plus i watercool 3 rigs to help with any additional heat from overvolting. a few small heatsinks on mosfets and other chips that cook will help extend the systems life.

Thank you for your response. As for me system stability and longevity are more important than speed, I'll keep my memory running at 1333.

The only thing that bothers me is that the Corsair Memory Finder advised me to get this memory kit, but that I can't use it at 1600 without overclocking

The only thing that bothers me is that the Corsair Memory Finder advised me to get this memory kit, but that I can't use it at 1600 without overclocking

You would need to get this information from the maker of your CPU as that is where the memory controller resides. It's their controller that is OCed, not our memory.

hi

this is the link for spec ove i7 3930k

http://ark.intel.com/products/63697/Intel-Core-i7-3930K-Processor-(12M-Cache-3_20-GHz)

Ur Corsair CMZ32GX3M4X1600C10 should run on Asus P9X79 Pro

As ur CPU andle DDR3-1066/1333/1600 with no Overclock

Ave u update bios?

As All ready u ave 10 Bios update for Asus P9X79 Pro

A lot ove them is abouth Enhance the compatibility with certain memory.

Bios update will improve compatibility and stability ove your system

hope this help

Sincerly yours

Thank you for your reply.

The specs from Intel confirm that the 3930k can handle 1600 memory.

As far as I can tell, Asus has only 2 BIOS updates. I've already flashed my BIOS to version 0906 to get support for the 3930k.

The SPD of the CMZ32GX3M4X1600C10 kit states it can run at 1333, only the use of the xmp profile makes 1600 possible.

To enable the xmp profile you have to set the AI Overclock Tuner to xmp, but this overclocks the system as stated before.

To enable the xmp profile you have to set the AI Overclock Tuner to xmp, but this overclocks the system as stated before.

Yes the 3930 can handle the faster memory but as Synthohol stated the system had to be overclocked.

You memory when initially installed runs at 1333mhz because this is the default frequency of your CPU's memory controller. When you enable XMP it set the correct overclocking parameters for you so the memory runs at 1600mhz.

Won't a higher VCCSA value shorten the lifespan of my CPU?

Not really. 1.2v is the still within Intels spec for your CPU. As long as your CPU temps are good there is really no need to worry.

Archived