Corsair Community

Do i need a commander pro? Plz advise

MROOD

Hi

I literally about to buy 7 LL120 120 mm Dual Light Loop RGB LED PWM Fans

I need 7 120mm for my 780t case

I will also get a Corsair AIO CPU cooler Platinum version

What I need to know is do I need a Commander pro to run the 7 RGB fans?

Also I know if you buy a 3 pack LL120 fans you get a lightning node and a additional led sata powered box THINGY ?!

SO I will buy a 3 pack which has a lightning node

or a cheaper way will be to buy 7 separate RGB fans and a commander pro?

Now what do I need to run 7 fans a and a corsair cpu cooler?

Please advise STANDING BY

You'll need at least one Lighting Node Pro and two RGB Fan Hubs (aka "sata powered box THINGY", I think).

The Commander Pro is optional but it'd allow you to control your fan speeds within iCue with your lighting.

Make sure that you give a good read through of the RGB FAQ (http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=173880).

ok ill get 2 packs of 3x rgb fans that's is the 2 rgb thingy boxes, no need to get commander pro as i dont monitor fan speeds, i just dont want to get stuck coz im missing something i need to set up my corsair ecosystem

anyone else want to add anything r.e if i need anything else???????

ok ill get 2 packs of 3x rgb fans that's is the 2 rgb thingy boxes, no need to get commander pro as i dont monitor fan speeds, i just dont want to get stuck coz im missing something i need to set up my corsair ecosystem

The requirements are in the linked guide thread above. Each of the RGB Lighting Hubs that provide current for lighting aspect of the fans will need its own SATA power line, as well as the Lighting Node Pro. So if you don't have 3 available SATA connectors, you will need to grab a three SATA ribbon line from your PSU bag.

For me the main thing is whether you want it all under the control of iCEU. If you do then get a Commander Pro. Personally I like everything all in one place. It's expensive but not much really given the overall cost of a gaming PC.

For me the main thing is whether you want it all under the control of iCEU. If you do then get a Commander Pro. Personally I like everything all in one place. It's expensive but not much really given the overall cost of a gaming PC.

i thought without the commander pro i can run the 7 fans yes?

I have two led rgb sockets and i have a usb splitter so on my mobo i have 2 usb to connect the 2 rgb sockets....

i thought without the commander pro i can run the 7 fans yes?

You can run the RGB. You'll have to control fan speed from the motherboard.

I have two led rgb sockets and i have a usb splitter so on my mobo i have 2 usb to connect the 2 rgb sockets....

I don't know what this means. What is an RGB Socket? Please review the RGB FAQ so that you know what all of the devices are called. Otherwise, things may get lost in translation.

You can run the RGB. You'll have to control fan speed from the motherboard.

I don't know what this means. What is an RGB Socket? Please review the RGB FAQ so that you know what all of the devices are called. Otherwise, things may get lost in translation.

soory

what i meant was ive already bought a new platinum cpu cooler

ive bought 7 fans via the black friday sales

i didnt buy the commander pro as i think i won't need it

yes I can use the rgb boxes or led box to light up the fans and ill use the mobo/case fan connectors for power

What i need to know is that now I have a platinum cpu cooler and 7 fans i am in need of 2 usb headers on my motherboard

I only have one spare which will be taken by the cooler

so I have a usb splitter that will enable me to split the needed usb headers on my mobo, one needed for the usb on my 780t case panel

one usb header needed for the cpu cooler

but the 7 fans, will i get stuck?

guys ive got a Evga 1300 Watt PSU

I used it previously with my 4 way sli set up

Its been over a year since I got rid of the 4 way set up, so now its just 1 1080ti

I have 7 hard drives, which has left me with only 1 spare sata cable

Now ive bought corsair cpu cooler the platunum one and led fans x7 for the corsair eco system i noticed that each led and power modules require 2 sata connectors, considering i have 7 i will need to connect all of them so now im short on 3 sata power connectors

looked thru the box and ive used them all up, i do have plenty of 8 pin slots on my psu and 1 6 pin

so i need new sata cables>?

i have a spare molex to maybe a molex to sata adaptor?

need sata to power the 7 corsair fans

First, please review the RGB FAQ and use the correct terms for the devices. I don't know what an "rgb box" or an "led box" is. Using the correct terminology is very important if you want to get the right answers.

As for the power - the RGB Fan Hub only requires the 5V rail so as long as that is present on your molex-to-sata adapter, you should be OK. The Lighting Node Pro has connections for the 3.3V rail and the 5V rail but I don't think that it actually uses anything from the 3.3V rail. So that should be OK but not guaranteed that you won't have strange issues. A Commander Pro uses all three rails - you cannot have that on a molex-to-SATA adapter.

With that said, we've seen issues where these adapters didn't properly make the 5V rail available to the SATA connection, only the 12V rail. So it's not recommended.

Archived