Corsair Community

AX850W - GPU, CPU and case fans running despite shut down

M.Waechter

Hi!

I recently upgraded my PSU to a Corsair AX 850. When I try to shut down my PC (doesn't matter if it's by power switch or Win7 "Shut Down" button) all fans except for one keep running endless (CPU, GPU, case fans powered by PSU, case fan powered by PWR_FAN on my MB). The only fan stopping is powered via CASE_FAN on the MB.

This is the 2nd AX 850 PSU I got, the first one suffered from electrical noises and got RMA'd at my vendor. I left all the cables from the first PSU installment connected to the devices to just replace the PSU and I didn't have this issue with the noisy PSU.

I tried manual shut down via power switch, I also reset CMOS - didn't do the trick. I appreciate every help and idea to get this problem fixed as I need this PC for work. I'm just hoping that this PSU isn't faulty also...

• Corsair Employee
Make sure you have the latest BIOS for the motherboard, and then load setup defaults and see if there is any change. If you still have the same issues then I would suggest booting the system up in safe mode and see if you still get the same problems when you try to shut down the system. Let us know your results!

Thank you for your reply.

I'm having the latest BIOS version running and I also tried shutting down in Safe Mode but it didn't work. It seems that the PSU doesn't recognize the shut down control signal and instead goes into power safe mode. Every case fan I connect to CHA_FAN on my MB stops running as it also would in power safe mode - every other fan keeps on running.

This is really strange, I've never heard of something similar before. I'm pretty sure now that this PSU is also faulty - going to RMA it once again...

• 4 weeks later...

Back in business.

Guess what - third AX850 unit quit working last night. My old 750W NON-CORSAIR PSU (half the AX850 price) works totally fine with my system and 3(!) "high-end" AX850 PSU's are broken from the start or quit working after a month?! This is ridiculous! :mad:

If there are major problems with this unit than please go forth and announce it! I'm really dissapointed by Corsair and it's definitely the last Corsair PSU I have ever bought!

• Corsair Employee

M. Waechter,

I am sorry to hear that the AX850 has failed, there are no known issues with the AX850 that I am aware of. I would like to set up a failure analysis RMA for you this time so that we can take a look at the PSU and see if we can find a cause for the failure. If you can post your previous case or RMA #, I will have our customer service contact you to get this resolved.

Archived