Corsair Community

Corsair vengeance LPX on Gigabyte B350 motherboard

vikrant1982

Hi Everyone,

I am building a Ryzen 3 based PC and have decided to pick one of these boards: -

Gigabyte GA-AB350M-Gaming 3

Gigabyte GA-AB350-Gaming 3

Gigabyte GA-AB350-Gaming

I did not know about memory compatibility issues with Ryzen platforms and made the mistake of buying a ram without looking up the QVL lists. I have bought a Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB 2400Mhz stick with model number CMK8GX4M1A2400C16R. The timing is 16-16-16-39 and the version is 3.31. Later on I discovered that the model is not listed in the QVL lists for most B350 motherboards. The problem is that I can't return the stick and a new one doesn't come cheap where I live. After some more hunting I have discovered that the model number CMK16GX4M2A2400C16 is listed as supported for most of the boards which to my understanding is nothing but a pair of 8GB sticks of the type I have with the same timing as well.

Now my question is if a pair of those sticks is supported then wouldn't a single stick of that type work? I have also noticed that the QVL lists were populated in April this year and new bios updates like F6 and F7a have been released in August to improve the ram compatibility.Would be really great if someone can throw some light on this issue.

• Corsair Employee
Hi Everyone,

I am building a Ryzen 3 based PC and have decided to pick one of these boards: -

Gigabyte GA-AB350M-Gaming 3

Gigabyte GA-AB350-Gaming 3

Gigabyte GA-AB350-Gaming

I did not know about memory compatibility issues with Ryzen platforms and made the mistake of buying a ram without looking up the QVL lists. I have bought a Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB 2400Mhz stick with model number CMK8GX4M1A2400C16R. The timing is 16-16-16-39 and the version is 3.31. Later on I discovered that the model is not listed in the QVL lists for most B350 motherboards. The problem is that I can't return the stick and a new one doesn't come cheap where I live. After some more hunting I have discovered that the model number CMK16GX4M2A2400C16 is listed as supported for most of the boards which to my understanding is nothing but a pair of 8GB sticks of the type I have with the same timing as well.

Now my question is if a pair of those sticks is supported then wouldn't a single stick of that type work? I have also noticed that the QVL lists were populated in April this year and new bios updates like F6 and F7a have been released in August to improve the ram compatibility.Would be really great if someone can throw some light on this issue.

You should be okay. Motherboard QVL for RAM is usually put together just before that product launches and aren't revised often. The BIOS updates that have released since the Ryzen launch have greatly improved RAM compatibility across the board and your Vengeance LPX kit should work just fine at its rated speed.

You should be okay. Motherboard QVL for RAM is usually put together just before that product launches and aren't revised often. The BIOS updates that have released since the Ryzen launch have greatly improved RAM compatibility across the board and your Vengeance LPX kit should work just fine at its rated speed.

That's such a relief. Thanks for replying...

Archived