The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Enthusiasts Section > System Builds, Modding, Custom Components, and Picture Gallery

Old 12-02-2016, 07:47 AM

POST ID # = 880995
MetallicAcid Reputation: 10
Cool Completed: CRYSTAL 570X Mod Build Log - XV – Justin Ohlsen – MetallicAcid

Hello everybody!!

Thank you for taking the time to read my mod log for the 570X by Corsair! The name "XV" comes from the roman numeral 15, as this is my 15th major project since I started modded 3 years ago. This mod is for Corsair's modding competition, which I am honoured to be part of. We are 10 modders selected from around the globe to compete for a prize (Which I do not know of time of writing this) and also for the bragging rights to say who is the best modder out there :)

Specifications:
Chassis - Corsair 570X
CPU - 5820K
Motherboard - Gigabyte X99 Designare
SSD - Corsair Force LE 256GB
PSU - Corsair HX1200
RAM - Corsair Vengeance White LED DDR4 32GB (4x8GB)
GPU - Gigabyte GTX1070 G1 Gaming
Fans - Corsair HD120 3pack with Controller
Cooling - Custom water loop

Plans:
My plans are pretty simple with this chassis. I plan to paint the inside of the chassis white or light grey so that the RGB fans have a greater effect within in the chassis. I will replace so of the inside with custom aluminium brushed panels for structure and aesthetics, and also extend the PSU shroud the entire length of the bottom tray. If time permits, I will install a custom water cooling loop with unique layout inside the chassis. On the outside of the chassis, I wish to fabricate custom aluminium panels with a unique design which will sit outside, giving a futuristic look and feel.

This project will only take a few weeks to complete, so there might be some compromise on what I wish to do compared to the time that I have to work on this project. After all I am a father of two kids under 3 years old and have a full time job ;) :D

So I hope that you stick around, and I will post up some photos as soon as I get them from the camera, haha.

Take care guys, and see you all at the next update.

Kind regards,
Justin / MetallicAcid

Last edited by MetallicAcid; 02-09-2017 at 11:29 AM.

Old 12-02-2016, 08:58 AM
Modder/Watercooler
alexciobanu's PC Specs

POST ID # = 881003
alexciobanu Reputation: 10

And here we go!!! Looking forward to see what you come with bud :D

Old 12-03-2016, 06:38 PM

POST ID # = 881169

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexciobanu View Post
And here we go!!! Looking forward to see what you come with bud :D
Haha :D Same for you mate!

Old 12-04-2016, 08:47 AM
snef's PC Specs

POST ID # = 881221
snef Reputation: 10

cant wait to see your magic,

Old 12-04-2016, 08:45 PM
Modder
glmurphy's PC Specs

POST ID # = 881312
glmurphy Reputation: 11

Good luck!

Old 12-05-2016, 09:47 PM
shadotracker's PC Specs

POST ID # = 881431
shadotracker Reputation: 10

Can't wait to see what you do!!

Old 12-28-2016, 04:49 PM

POST ID # = 884141
Default Update 1

Hey everybody,

Sorry for the delay in updates with this project. I have been sick for a few weeks with a flu, stomach flu and was in hospital for a short stint too. All of this combined with my family being sick and the holiday season, and you have yourself a crapstorm of delays.

So with this said, I am trying my hand at building my YouTube channel, and also to save time with updating by producing video content.

The first update for this build log can be found at this link:

The second update if there as well:

If you wish to forgo the videos, here are some photos of the work so far:

That should be it for this update!

Old 01-27-2017, 10:07 PM
Banned
Corsair Blake's PC Specs

POST ID # = 888826
Corsair Blake Reputation: 14

I love it!!!

Old 01-28-2017, 12:12 PM

POST ID # = 888906

Sorry about lack of posts everyone! I had to crunch to get the project finished on time, and then I have been really sick.

I am back on track, getting films and photos edited and will be rolling out the updates for now on :D :) ;)

Cheers everyone!

Old 02-01-2017, 02:05 PM

POST ID # = 889488

Hello everybody!

Finally time for some updates with this project! Some will be in video format, and I will then try to catch up with posting some photos to compliment those films.

Coming soon will be a nice video of the watercooling routing, and also the final build with voice over commentary explaining the mod and the various pieces that go into making this project unique :)

In this following video I start work on v1 of the PSU shroud. Here I create the plate which covers the cables, and will also act as the mount for the SSD.

Here is the PSU shroud after the SSD hole was made, and the alu got a nice lick of paint!

After this mod was done, and I started with the first try of the cable routing, I realized that I needed more space so that the cables can fit. The HX1200 is a very long PSU and took up more space than I anticipated.

Stay tuned for the next update!

Old 02-01-2017, 02:11 PM

POST ID # = 889489

Hello everyone!

This next mod shows the hole that I cut so that I could route cables from the front IO to the motherboard, and also route the GPU cables in stealth. I later made this hole larger so that I could route all cables and move them around without having to remove the entire motherboard ;)

Thanks again for checking out the project guys!

Old 02-01-2017, 02:17 PM

POST ID # = 889492

Hey hey :)

I am back with another update! This time I go through the mods that I will perform on the motherboard, and talk about my plans for cable routing. A lot is covered here so it is worth a watch :)

Here is the final revision of the motherboard. I opted to go for a blackout effect so that there is no focus taken away from the watercooling and the HD120 fans that are later installed.

So I hope you enjoyed the update, and can check out the next one where I show off the finished GPU shroud.

Old 02-01-2017, 02:23 PM

POST ID # = 889493

Hello and welcome :)

In this update I would like to show you the custom GPU shroud which I created for the waterblock made by Bitspower!

This shroud is a single piece of aluminium bent on 3 sides so that it covers the edge of the GPU, but still allows access to the holes in the water block and the 8pin PCIE cable. I had really considered making the shroud so that the PCIE cable was hidden, but in the end decided to show of the cables since the 24pin and 8pin would be seen anyways.

So with those photos posted, that makes this update finished :D Another update coming right up!

Old 02-01-2017, 02:28 PM

POST ID # = 889496

Since I was already fabricating from alu, I went ahead and made some cover panels for around the chassis. The larger panel is for covering the cables and motherboard PCB, and also to have the Corsair logo, XV and MA logo. The two smaller panels are for the large inside compartment that hide the original cable routing holes that I will not be using.

These are bent at home on my metal brake. They later got some black paint as well.

See you at the next update :)

Old 02-01-2017, 02:40 PM

POST ID # = 889499

Another update! Almost finished now!!!

This update I tried to tackle the cable management. You will see that I struggle with the placement of the RGB and fan hubs, and cannot decide if I want the Corsair Commander Mini or not :P

After this video I run into the problem of not having enough space in the PSU shroud compartment. So I rip everything out and start again. I also mod the PSU shroud (again...) with another piece of brushed aluminium which extends it out by another 2cm. This was enough to stuff in the excess cables, hide the RGB box for the fans and also the cables for the SSD.

This is the final result of the cable management, sans the large custom panel that I showed in the previous update. You can also notice that I created another custom aluminium panel which also brushed, and sitting behind the Commander Mini.

Yes, I finally decided to use it... Fan cables where made custom to the perfect lengths that you see here.

Thank you, and hope you liked it!

Tags
570x, corsair, crystal, metallicacid