Corsair Community

900D warped motherboard tray

Karoa

I've run into a bit of a snag with my fancy 900D case. I've noticed that the plate you attach the motherboard onto (the exact term for this escapes me at the moment, but for now I'll call it the "motherboard tray") is warped out of the box.

This is where it gets a bit tricky, in that I have pretty much voided any sort of warranty by physically modifying the case by drilling out the rivets holding the 5.25" bay in place. (Really wish they'd been screws..)

The mobo tray was warped before I removed the bay, something I noticed halfway through the procedure, though I have no pictures of this (there was about 0.5mm of space between the tray and 5.25" bay, between the bottom two rivets holding the two together).

I've attached pictures, hopefully it's visible. The tray curves quite a bit, suggesting that the tray was cut to incorrect dimensions and forced in. (To me, the absence of any sharp crease in the metal rules out that it was bent using any sort of force as a result of the drilling.) I've found that it's pretty much impossible to get it straightened out, as the tray is just too long to actually fit where it's supposed to without curving. Forcing it to straighten by attaching some sort of stud with screws/rivets would result in a crease... (I have not done this.)

I'm hoping that this is a known manufacturing problem and can get a replacement sent out. As far as I can tell, it's attached to the rest of the case with screws, so it should be easy enough to replace.

Any chance of getting a replacement tray sent out, or at least a price estimate for buying a new one (if that's possible, rather than buying a whole new case)?

IMG_0634.thumb.jpg.463eaccae333ae1c0f51bed741bb15d2.jpg

IMG_0632.thumb.jpg.3a2c8bd0161cdeff2f29a6a2dcd86fc4.jpg

I'm hoping that this is a known manufacturing problem and can get a replacement sent out. As far as I can tell, it's attached to the rest of the case with screws, so it should be easy enough to replace.

Actually this is the very first one we have seen. So it must have just been a random defect.

At any rate you can still get it replaced. Just use the link on the left to request an RMA and in the comments box explain to them that you need just the MB tray and they will get you a new one.

You could also call CS on Monday morning and they would be able to take care of you right away.

Actually this is the very first one we have seen. So it must have just been a random defect.

At any rate you can still get it replaced. Just use the link on the left to request an RMA and in the comments box explain to them that you need just the MB tray and they will get you a new one.

You could also call CS on Monday morning and they would be able to take care of you right away.

Awesome, that makes things a lot easier.

Thank you! :)

I have been doing the exact same thing. A custom mod that requires me to remove those 3.5" bays...

However, this "slack" is probably intentional. It is basically a thin sheet of aluminium and making it less prone to warping would require a much thicker base (and heavier, which is the last thing we want of this case). The 3.5" bays are giving the motherboard tray its rigidity.

I don't think that is a manufacturing defect. RMA'ing that would therefore be useless.

In order to address this issue, I have added a strengthening beam on the right side. There are already three holes you can use (M3). I drilled another one on the bottom (you could also probably use special glue or some strong tape (ex. 3M VHB).

It is a rigid as it could be. No flex, no visible warping when installed. I just replaced the rivets securing the motherboard by M3 bolts/nuts.

Good luck with the build

http://i.imgur.com/BJ1TOTt.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ruEFWVY.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/D881xBu.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/k03GvLn.jpg

Archived