The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Cooling

Old 11-22-2017, 08:43 PM
tifosi79's PC Specs

POST ID # = 927402
tifosi79 Reputation: 10
Default H110iGTX fan speed goes up and down like a racing car's engine.

A have owned this cooler since 2015. Every component on my computer with the exception of the video card is exactly the same since day one. The video card was upgraded in August.

Since last week I noticed that the Fan RPM in the cooler starts spooling up and down during any gameplay or during any application that uses a lot of CPU power. It sounds like a engine being accelerated and decelerated. It is more obvious if the profile is QUIET, but it happens with all three profiles(Quiet, Balanced, Performance). Again, this only happens when I am playing games or running a CPU stress test application. It doesn't happen during idle or during internet surfing. No other fan in the computer is making this changes in RPM. The graph in Corsair LINK shows only the H110iGTX Fan RPM jumping up and down.

Things I have tried:

1. Removing and re-installing Corsair LINK didn't help. Yes, I am using the latest version 4.9.2.27. Under Options->Devices it shows that the Firmware is 2.4.0.0 and there is no option to check if there is an update for that as far as I know.

2. If I completely close Corsair LINK then the problem doesn't happen. I can play any game or run any CPU stress test application without any issues.

I would really appreciate some help with this.

Last edited by tifosi79; 11-22-2017 at 08:49 PM.

Old 11-23-2017, 01:36 AM
Charlbotha's PC Specs

POST ID # = 927420
Charlbotha Reputation: 10

Could you post a screenshot of the corsair link home tab please. It sounds like your fan speed is grouped with the CPU temp so it responds according to that. Try grouping the fan speed to the coolant temp which is much less prone to sudden up and down spikes. This should solve the problem. You can also take a little bit of time to setup a custom fan curve and tune it a bit to get the performance/noise levels exactly where you want them

Old 11-23-2017, 09:04 AM
tifosi79's PC Specs

POST ID # = 927447

Fan speed is grouped with H110iGTX Temp. There is no way to choose any other Group. It has been mentioned here in the forums that Corsair Link doesn't give all options when used with the H110iGTX and some other coolers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fan speed.jpg (144.9 KB, 45 views)

Old 11-23-2017, 09:34 AM
c-attack's PC Specs

POST ID # = 927450
c-attack Reputation: 56

Have a read through this thread if you have not already.

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=172508

This is not a commonly reported issue and the solution suggested above resolves it 99% of time. CPU Package based control was not an option on the H110 GTX, unlike the H115i and its different firmware. Regardless, we now have two of you with the same issue on virtually the same cooler. My gut reaction is their is a software glitch, either within Link or between two programs, but we still need to isolate it. You are both on Asus boards and Windows 10. Beware of using AI Suite and Link at the same time. It is bound to cause some messy software interactions.

Can you list your exact Win 10 build? (settings gear, "About" at the bottom). I am curious if you both are on the Fall Creators Update (1709) or the prior 1703.

What version of Link are you using? 4.9.2.27. There is no way to update the firmware on the H110 GTX.

You are both having issues with the Quiet setting. Can you try using a fixed % or fixed RPM for the radiator fans. I want to see if it can hold the line. 700-800 rpm is all you would need for gaming or moderately high load. Just pick something not at the bottom or top of the scale.

Old 11-23-2017, 07:31 PM
tifosi79's PC Specs

POST ID # = 927510

I don't use AI Suite. OS Build 15063.726. Version 1703. I tried running different fixed %. 25%, 30%, 40% and the problem still happens. It happens with the Quiet and Balanced profiles, but not with the Performance profile. The RPM is pretty much flat with all those settings, but as soon as I start a CPU intensive game or a CPU stress test it goes crazy.

Old 11-23-2017, 11:15 PM
c-attack's PC Specs

POST ID # = 927515

OK, so prior Windows and no major recent changes. I am concerned it won't hold a fixed percentage. If you have not already, contact Tech Support through the ticket system and detail the issue. Make sure you mention it will not hold a fixed speed either.

Two things you can try. 1) Roll back to Link 4.8.3. There seem to be some varying issues with 4.9.xx. Less complaints on 4.8 and this is an odd problem. Also, this just started and roughly coincides with the update period. Not conclusive, but probably worth the effort. 2) Set a manual curve with various fixed points you are happy with (low speed is fine). Make the last point well off in the distance at around 50-55C. The next to last point should be around 40-45 (where you would normally stop the line). There was a specific bug with curves on the GTX models and it related to the end point on the curve being to close to actual temps. It's been a long day and I can't remember the specifics. It will probably resurface in the morning.

If the above fail, I would move the fans off the pump controller and onto the motherboard -- if you have not done so already.

Old 11-23-2017, 11:27 PM
tifosi79's PC Specs

POST ID # = 927516

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-attack View Post
If the above fail, I would move the fans off the pump controller and onto the motherboard -- if you have not done so already.

On my motherboard I have three options to plug in the fans. W_Pump, CPU_OPT, CPU_Fan. I have the cooler connected to the CPU_Fan. Should I plug the two fans into CPU_Fan,CPU_OPT and have the one cable coming from the cooler into the W_Pump connector?

Old 11-24-2017, 07:58 AM
c-attack's PC Specs

POST ID # = 927565

Yes, for this cooler and Asus boards, move the fans to their own headers on CPU and OPT. OPT will copy the CPU fan curve automatically. You do not want to combine 2 SP140L fans on a splitter. The combined current is too high. The pump lead only reports half the pump speeed and is really there to prevent a boot error. Since AIO Pump or W_Pump is vacant, it can be discarded there with no ill effects. No need to worry about that one and the preset disabled/full speed fan setting should prevent other Asus features from trying to tune it or fruitlessly alter its speed.

Last edited by c-attack; 11-24-2017 at 08:03 AM.

Old 11-24-2017, 09:32 AM
mantisian's PC Specs

POST ID # = 927576
mantisian Reputation: 10

Hi both, my results are exactly the same. Fixed RPM doesn't fix the issue and neither does killing C link.
In the end, I've decided to scrap the cooler and move to air tower. It's a shame, but I never did expect such a low quality from Corsair.
Thank you c-attack for the help!

Old 11-24-2017, 09:50 AM
c-attack's PC Specs

POST ID # = 927577

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantisian View Post
Hi both, my results are exactly the same. Fixed RPM doesn't fix the issue and neither does killing C link.
In the end, I've decided to scrap the cooler and move to air tower. It's a shame, but I never did expect such a low quality from Corsair.
Thank you c-attack for the help!
Try rolling back to Link 4.8.3 before you go. What you both are describing is rare. There are also water coolers that are non-software based that may be appealing. You can also use it without the software at all in the same configuration as listed above. It is not necessary to run Link or let it have control over the fans, but I am still wondering where the problem is for both of you.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: