Corsair Community

TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX timings

rdpsfinest

They're up to you.

which means ?

Is there any big difference between 4-4-4-12 and 5-5-5-18 ?

Also, a friend told me that the 4-4-4-12 settings is only good with system with 2 memory modules installed. and if you have 4 memory modules installed you should leave the default bios settings which would be 5-5-5-18.

any truth in what he said ?

sorry for all the newb questions! im new with all that stuff.

thanks for your help!

The last 2 timings aren't in the specs, so you can set them to whatever you want.

There's a small difference between the timings, but you'll probably never notice them in real life performance.

If you want to run 4 sticks together it's best to buy a 4 stick pack as they're tested and guaranteed to work together. If you buy two TWIN packs, there's no guarantee they'll work together or at the rated speed / timings, because they haven't been tested together.

• Corsair Employee
With 4 modules I would suggest setting the memory frequency at DDR667 and set the memory Voltage to 2.1 Volts and set the NB/MCH/SPP Voltage to +.2 Volts as well and test the system with http://www.memtest.org. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Ram Guy,

Thank you for the reply.

NB and MC stands for what exaclty?

Im not sure but i think they stand for northbridge voltage? if thats the case, in my bios northbridge voltage is set to auto. you said that I had to go +.2 above default. the problem is I have no Idea what is the default value. I looked everywhere in the bios.

I just installed the TWIN2X2048-6400C4DHX im now running with 4 modules ( with TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX) . I didnt change any settings. im still at ddr800 and memory voltage at 2.1 and northbridge at auto.

memtest didnt find any errors. Should I still go back to DDR667 ?

• Corsair Employee
You will want to add a bit more voltage to the memory controller when you have 4 modules installed and with some MB's the memory controller will be in the North Bridge (NB) but some the setting may be called Memory Controller Hub (MCH) or System Platform Processor (SPP) or may be any one or a combination of any of these names in your BIOS.

Archived