Corsair Community

Re: Use XMT or set DRAM Frequency manually?

Brcobrem

Re: Use XMT or set DRAM Frequency manually?

Hi,

Does the TW3X4G1600C9DHX support the Intel XMP specification? With the RAM installed, I can see that option is available in the BIOS, but it is not in Corsair's literature that I can find. Btw, the CPU is 1333Mhz FSB (Intel 9550s).

Out of the boxes, with the two TW3X4G1600C9DHX's installed on the P5E3 PREMIUM/WIFI-AP @n board, I see DDR3 1066 when it posts. I can go into the BIOS and select 1333, see DDR3-1333 when it posts, and the PC is perfectly stable.

If XMP is supported, would I get better results with XMP enabled, or manually setting the DRAM Frequency to 1333 (as I have now)?

Additionally, if I just select DDR-1600 in the BIOS, XP gets BSOD after I login. That's why I have set to DDR-1300 now. The Asus manual says "When the DRAM Frequency is set to DDR3-1600 (or 1800 or 2000), the FSB Frequency and the CPU Ratio Setting items will be optimized automatically. Btw, 1600 FSB on this MB is not considered OC.

I built PCs and servers for almost 25 years, but some of these new optimization features are newbie for me. Sorry if any stupid questions. Perhaps you have already covered the DD3-1600 setup and/or XMT for the P5E3 PREMIUM/WIFI-AP @n board and I am missing it somewhere.

I look forward to any suggestions, comments or direction that you care to offer.

Regards,

Brcobrem

• Corsair Employee
Those modules do not have XMP Profiles so the settings would need to be manually set and with Intel Chipsets you cannot run the memory frequency faster than the CPU FSB, IE you would have to run the memory at DDR1333 with that CPU and MB unless you over clock the CPU.

Hi Ram Guy,

Thank you for directly answering my original XMP question and further clarifying the CPU/FSB relationship with Intel processors.

If this is not off topic for this forum, here's something I find interesting but am not 100% certain about: The Asus P5E3 Premium board has a utility called PCProbeII. In addition to the usual WMI browser, it has a "DMI Browser" (Desktop Management Interface). If you click on "Processor Information (Type4)", you see Current Speed = 2833, and also Max Speed = 3800.

If I take the 333MHz External Clock Speed and multiply that times the 8.5 multiplier of the Q9550s, I get 2830.5, which very close to the Intel rated 2833 CPU speed. I going to take a guess that the DMI Browser utility is deriving that 3800 number by: 3800/333=11.41 . Not that I'm going to do this, but in theory, would an 11.41 multiplier yield 3800Mhz ?

Btw, the 9550s runs all day at 98F/37C CPU temp with a the standard low profile Intel cooler slowed down from 2500 to ~875 rpm. That's the 65w TDP part I suppose.

If you get around to it, I look forward to your reply on the "11.41 multiplier" question.

Regards,

Brcobrem

Thanks Wired.

About 20 years ago a wise man passed this on to me. I think I'm at "Stage 2" on this:

THE FOUR STAGES OF COMPETENCE

1. Unconscious incompetence - you're screwed up, but don't realize it.

2. Conscious incompetence - you're screwed up, but realize that you have a problem.

3. Conscious competence - you're competent, but only when you concentrate on it.

4. Unconscious competence - you're competent without having to think about it.

:->

Brcobrem

Hi Wired,

Well, we're way off topic now, but I had to look that one up:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuro-linguistic_programming

That would explain it. The fellow who passed this on tho me was a sales trainer: "...It has had an influence in management training...".

Again, thank you and Ram Guy your guidance throughout these threads.

Brcobrem

I looked up your steps and it let to NLP :)

My personal way of saying all that is this (various quotes around the same idea):

"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool." - William Shakespeare

“To know that you do not know is the best. To pretend to know when you do not know is a disease.” - Lao-Tzu

"The wise man knows he doesn't know. the fool doesn't know he doesn't know." - Lao-Tzu

"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." - Socrates

"A wise man doesn't just know what he knows, he knows what he doesn't know."

Anyway, good luck with the system / OC. Stop by if there's anything else we can help you out with!

Hi Wired,

Thanks for sharing that. I filed it away for future use :-)

Anyway, back on topic if I may . . .

In my original post, I mentioned:

... if I just select DDR-1600 in the BIOS, XP gets BSOD after I login. That's why I have set to DDR-1300 now. The Asus manual says "When the DRAM Frequency is set to DDR3-1600 (or 1800 or 2000), the FSB Frequency and the CPU Ratio Setting items will be optimized automatically. Btw, 1600 FSB on this MB is not considered OC.

Yesterday I found that if I uninstalled the ASUS "AI Suite" (a point and click overclocking utility), I could go into the BIOS, select 1600 for the DRAM frequency, and it comes up perfectly stable.

According to Sandra Lite, the Combined Memory Bandwidth Benchmark (Aggregate Memory Performance) went up from 7.1 to 8.5 when I made this change. I guess what I'm saying here is that the TW3X4G1600C9DHX runs at 1600Mhz as advertised in that board (ie. if "AI Suite" is not installed). CPU goes from ~98F to 104F, motherboard goes from ~104F to 109F. This box has four 1200rpm 120mm fans: front-in, lowerside-in, back-out, top-out. CPU fan is throttled down to ~1000rpm. I don't know if the temps are normal, but I suppose this is probably a better question to ask ASUS.

Regards,

Brcobrem

Hi,

In my original post I mentioned:

Out of the boxes, with the two TW3X4G1600C9DHX's installed on the P5E3 PREMIUM/WIFI-AP @n board, I see "DDR3 1066" when it posts. I can go into the BIOS and select 1333, see DDR3-1333 when it posts, and the PC is perfectly stable.

Question: If I load BIOS defaults, and see that the DRAM Frequency is set to "Auto", does anyone have any idea why I see "DDR3 1066" when it posts? (I would expect to see "DDR3 1333", the rated CPU FSB speed).

I appreciate your thoughts on this.

Regards,

Brcobrem

Archived