Corsair Community

MSI MEG Z390 ACE and i7-8086K OC

I just built a new system based on the MSI MEG Z390 ACE motherboard, an i7-8086K and 4x8 GB Corsair 3200MHz DDR4 RGB memory with the goal to find the highest possible but yet stable and safe 24/7 OC.

The CPU has been delidded and the thermal paste replaced by liquid metal. I'm using a Corsair H115i RGB Platinum for cooling in a Corsair 500D RGB SE case with 3 120mm fans as intake in the front and one 120mm fan in the back as exhaust. The H115i's 140mm fans is in a push config.

At this point I've been able to reach what so far seems to be a stable OC of 5.1 GHz with the below changes done in BIOS. The highest temp after stress-testing the CPU is about 75 C.

CPU Ratio: 51

CPU Ratio Mode: Fixed

XMP: Enabled

CPU LLC: Mode 2

CPU Core Voltage Mode: Override

CPU Core Voltage: 1.300

Intel Virtualization Tech: Disabled

Intel C-State: Disabled

Intel Speed Shift Technology: Disabled

I have tried going for 5.2 GHz but so far with no luck. Mostly, it will BSOD during Windows startup. Have been able to get into Windows a couple of times but no stability when stress-testing.

The highest voltage I've tried to make it stable at this point is 1.375. I know most people agree it's fine all the way up to 1.4 but since my goal isn't to receive a single top score running a benchmark but rather find the highest but still stable and safe 24/7 OC as mentioned above, I rather not go too crazy with the voltage.

So my question to you guys is if I missed some important setting that would likely allow me to get a higher OC?

Many thanks in advance for any tips and input!

The first thing I noticed is the Load Line Calibration Level. I don't have a MSI board, so I need to know the range of selectable options (1-10, 1-4, etc.), but 2 seems low. While the maximum level is usually not desirable for daily use, you probably do need the next to highest LLC level to keep things in line. I am at similar settings on an Asus Code X. Their scale is 1-7 and I am at 6. Dropping to 5 will crash me within hours, despite never crashing at 6 in more than a year.

As far as the upper limit goes, when you've reached it, you've reached it. Almost nothing is linear at the end game and you do see specimens that might clock really well up to 1.xx, then suddenly can't hold themselves just on the other side.

If you can run 5.1@1.30v, you're in good shape. My 8700K is delidded and I can only hold 5.0 at that level. Temp scaling is funny. Someone else was asking about this yesterday, so I upped it to 5.1@1.325 to compare. Really no temp increase for actual work and only a few degrees on max stress tests. However, at 1.345 I get a +6-8C pad at max load taking me into the 70s. Certainly that is sustainable, but not really a good trade for 100 Mhz.

Yep, always an adventure playing around with overclocking.

Was a long time since I last did it before this and hopefully I won't have to play with it anymore now for a while and instead being able to enjoy my new rig :-)

Was a true PITA trying to fit everything into the new case while at the same time make it tidy and nice looking but I'm very pleased now with everything in place. I really like my new case! Both the looks of it but also how quiet it is compared to my old one.

Thanks for all help in here during the build!

• 2 weeks later...

I have an 8700k which does 5.1 but temps over 90 and 1.35 v

its weird as 4.7 will run 24/7 at 50c...any changes after that and it throttels or shoots temps thru roof....has to be mb/bios thing as the chip seems ez breezy stable...just cooling goes crazy after anything 4.7

I have an 8700k which does 5.1 but temps over 90 and 1.35 v

its weird as 4.7 will run 24/7 at 50c...any changes after that and it throttels or shoots temps thru roof....has to be mb/bios thing as the chip seems ez breezy stable...just cooling goes crazy after anything 4.7

You say 1.35v - is that the BIOS setting or is that an actual vCore reading at the higher clock? If it's BIOS setting, you need to look at the actual vCore reading while the system is running. Chances are it's more than the 1.35V you set.

• 4 weeks later...
Yep, always an adventure playing around with overclocking.

Was a long time since I last did it before this and hopefully I won't have to play with it anymore now for a while and instead being able to enjoy my new rig :-)

Was a true PITA trying to fit everything into the new case while FileZilla Malwarebytes Rufus at the same time make it tidy and nice looking but I'm very pleased now with everything in place. I really like my new case! Both the looks of it but also how quiet it is compared to my old one.

Thanks for all help in here during the build!

The CPU has been delidded and the thermal paste replaced by liquid metal. I'm using a Corsair H115i RGB Platinum for cooling in a Corsair 500D RGB SE case with 3 120mm fans as intake in the front and one 120mm fan in the back as exhaust. The H115i's 140mm fans is in a push config.

Archived