Corsair Community

Obsidian 650D without Window & USB 3.0 header

EmptyMellon

Hello,

Allow me to cut straight to the point.

1. Will Corsair manufacture the 650D with a USB 3.0 motherboard header (not the USB 3.0 male cable routed through the back)?

2. Will Corsair make the 650D available as a windowless model or is there an option to buy the "window-ed" panel windowless?

The Obsidian 650D is an esthetically and functionally exceptional case :nodding:, which I would love to use, to replace my present case. And if someone knowledgeable would take the time to replay to my inquiries would be very appreciated.

Regards, EM

While not referring specifically to the 650D, in this forum post http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=95045 Ram Guy has said an upgrade for the usb header is all but assured once it becomes more common place.

As for a sold side panel you could ask them to sell you a spare solid back panel as the two are reversible. Meaning right side will fit the left and left side will fit the right, I'm not really sure how to word that!

The best thing about these cases in my humble opinion is the upgrade-ability Corsair designed into them.

While not referring specifically to the 650D, in this forum post http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=95045 Ram Guy has said an upgrade for the usb header is all but assured once it becomes more common place.

As for a sold side panel you could ask them to sell you a spare solid back panel as the two are reversible. Meaning right side will fit the left and left side will fit the right, I'm not really sure how to word that!

The best thing about these cases in my humble opinion is the upgrade-ability Corsair designed into them.

Indeed, that is why I have been eying this case specifically since it came out.

As for the side panel, I do appreciate the suggestion; and I do know what you mean - the panels are not handed, and as such are interchangeable.

Regarding the USB 3.0, I am hoping that come summer and the competition heats up between AMD and Intel with motherboard features in mind, the USB 3.0 motherboard header will become commonplace. And thank you for the link.

Regards, EM

Indeed, that is why I have been eying this case specifically since it came out.

As for the side panel, I do appreciate the suggestion; and I do know what you mean - the panels are not handed, and as such are interchangeable.

Regarding the USB 3.0, I am hoping that come summer and the competition heats up between AMD and Intel with motherboard features in mind, the USB 3.0 motherboard header will become commonplace. And thank you for the link.

Regards, EM

I believe he meant the same thing as you, should be able to buy a spare right side panel and use it as a windowless left side panel

these were actually the two points that have been holding me back from getting the 650D, the spare side panel idea is great (I'm probably going to try to that)

personally I'm gonna wait until just after Computex in case anything gets announced

• Corsair Employee
Send an email to jackflash@corsair.com to see about getting a solid side panel for the 650D. Currently the pass through design for USB3.0 is best for compatibility, but as more boards start to implement the USB3.0 header, I do suspect that we will transition to the standardized header. Unfortunately there is no ETA for that change that I am aware of.

• 3 weeks later...
Send an email to jackflash@corsair.com to see about getting a solid side panel for the 650D. Currently the pass through design for USB3.0 is best for compatibility, but as more boards start to implement the USB3.0 header, I do suspect that we will transition to the standardized header. Unfortunately there is no ETA for that change that I am aware of.

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post and your contact e-mail. I have been itchinng to build an all Corsair system for a while now. I'll definetly contact you about the solid side panel of the 650D - unless something changes - however, (with all due respect) I'll wait until the 650D comes out with a USB 3.0 header.

Or possibly a simpler solution is to provide a short (3"-6") USB 3.0 internal cable, with a USB 3.0 header on one end and two USB 3.0 jacks on the other. Then just route the existing cables into the case and connect.

Yeah i found that one first but with the cable it can all be connected and hidden up behind the board tray otherwise your gonna end up with 2 usb connectors sticking up from your board getting in the way of your gfx cards .

Yeah i found that one first but with the cable it can all be connected and hidden up behind the board tray otherwise your gonna end up with 2 usb connectors sticking up from your board getting in the way of your gfx cards .

Agreed. Still, will be nice to have the 650D with the proper header cable, once implemented.

Edit: Thank you guys for the good alternatives for the USB 3.0 header.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived