Corsair Community

Coolant Temps

Ejoyner13

I am running an I7 7700k with a h100i v2 cooler. My cpu is usually around 30-34c while idle and around 50-65c while gaming. I noticed that the coolant temp is usually 27c while idle but almost 40 while gaming. Is this a normal temp for the coolant while gaming?

Thanks

Yes, particularly if you have a big watt GPU like a Ti. A large portion of that coolant delta is the result of the increase in anbient temperature. You can get a rough idea of the percentage by grabbing a idle/load motherboard temp sensor reading. Running a CPU only stress test would likely result in a lower delta. While this does add to your CPU temperature, your end temps are still quite good for Kaby which tends to register high peak values in almost every configuration.

Depending on case size, you can sometimes move the radiator out of the hot zone. That usually means front mounting and that can cause other complications. Ultimately what's best is very case and use specific.

Thanks for the reply! You have helped me a lot in the past and I really appreciate it. I have my radiator front mounted in an s340 elite case. It stinks these chips run so hot. I hear delidding is an option but I really dont want to mess with that since I am no expert. I havent even overclocked yet.

Thanks

OK, then there really is only one way to set this up and you are there. Next time you play, take a before/during motherboard temp check. Sometimes the board temp sensor is dramatically affected by the GPU (extreme close proximity) and you get really high values not reflective of actual case temperature. You can also look at drive temps to see how much they change. It's is a rough calculation for sure, but more top/rear exhaust speed could help a little if the Ti is the bulk of the heat.

I actually think your temps are quite good. So many 7700K posts with peak temps in the 70s while gaming. You still have quite a bit of margin. One thing you likely can do is turn down the front fans. You nor your CPU need 2700 rpm when gaming. You can create a custom curve with more tolerable points. If half the coolant delta comes from case heat, you cannot effect this to any degree with front fan speed, so run them slower with less noise.

Archived