Corsair Community

compatability with 2 (same 6g kits?)

Xann27

i built my system a year or so ago with 6gb of TR3X6G1600C7 7-7-7-20.

A few weeks ago i added 6gb more, but the store i bought my original memory did not offer the same memory, but offered 6gb of CMX6GX3M3C1600C7 7-8-7-20.

Now i asked the sales person and told him EXACTLY what memory i had, and he told me this new stuff would have ZERO issues. plug and play. I did so, and eventually had to completely default my BIOS and start from scratch, due to crashing and my motherboard saying i was having memory problems (EVGA Classified E760).

Overclocking my system is just a pain for me, because i set it and forget it. i dont have all day to fidget with settings to get every ounce of stability and whatnot like some hard core OCers.

i didnt see until today that the latencies are a bit different. 7-7-7-20, and 7-8-7-20?

in the BIOS i set the timings to 7-8-7-20, because i understand your system is only as fast as your slowest component.

will i run into issues later?

my voltages are set to 1.65v for the memory, and upped the frequency to 1600, as the memory is rated for that.

i feel that i may be missing something or have a setting wrong, and not getting the correct potential from my rig. any tips?

i ran a windows test and it didnt find anything (from administrative tools in the control panel). i couldnt get that .iso i downloaded to a usb flash drive to recognize it was a bootable drive... so i did not run Memtest86+ v4.20. i would have made a disc, but i dont have an optical drive. loaned it to a friend and the jackwagon hasnt given it back lol!

was the windows test well enough?

ok so i downloaded the auto installer for UBS key (new) and its on my USB drive. the infor is there, i formatted the usb before the install, and tried booting from it a few times. but, it said there was no bootable device in the manual boot menu. so now im kinda stuck. whats my next step?

• Corsair Employee

You will find a Utility at the top of the USB section you can use to make your Flash Drive boot able and it even has Memtest included in the program.

And officially we do not suggest or support mixing sets. However, since you have them I would first make sure that you are not mixing the two sets; IE one matching set in the correct slots for Tri channel usually slots 2-4-6 and the other matching set in slots 1-3-6. Then go to BIOS setup and load setup defaults and enable XMP Profile one and set the memory frequency to the next lower speed grade IE DDR1333 then test the system with http://www.memtest.org.

ive gotten the utility and ran the auto installer for the usb flash drive. when i spam escape after the PC posts, it brings up the boot menu. i select removable and it cant see the flash drive. what am i doing wrong?

Does your bios offer an option to boot to "Other" devices? if so is it set to "yes" or "enabled"?

If all that is set right, looks at the flash drive but fails to boot from it then doesn't sound like you're using the correct file to create the bootable flash drive?

Pick this one from the list,

Auto-installer for USB Key (Win 9x/2k/xp/7) *NEW!*

Download it to your desktop.

In the mean time connect a USB flash drive to a rear port on your computer and format it to "fat32" (the installer also offers the option to format the flash drive, do it yourself first or use the installers option to do so either one).

When the download is complete (only takes couple seconds) right click on the zip file then extract the zip file to your desktop IE; "Memtest86+ USB installer".

Now click on that file, do the user agreement thing then select your USB flash drive by its drive letter from the drop down menu (if unsure check "computer" to verify drive letter assigned). If you didn't format the flash drive yourself tic the box for the option given to do so now. If you had already formatted it leave it unchecked, no need do so again.

Now either use the boot menu key during post, access the boot menu option selecting the flash drive to boot from, or enter setup and set it as first in the drive order either one.

It will boot from the flash drive, memtest will run.

Does your bios offer an option to boot to "Other" devices? if so is it set to "yes" or "enabled"?

If all that is set right, looks at the flash drive but fails to boot from it then doesn't sound like you're using the correct file to create the bootable flash drive?

Pick this one from the list,

Auto-installer for USB Key (Win 9x/2k/xp/7) *NEW!*

Download it to your desktop.

In the mean time connect a USB flash drive to a rear port on your computer and format it to "fat32" (the installer also offers the option to format the flash drive, do it yourself first or use the installers option to do so either one).

When the download is complete (only takes couple seconds) right click on the zip file then extract the zip file to your desktop IE; "Memtest86+ USB installer".

Now click on that file, do the user agreement thing then select your USB flash drive by its drive letter from the drop down menu (if unsure check "computer" to verify drive letter assigned). If you didn't format the flash drive yourself tic the box for the option given to do so now. If you had already formatted it leave it unchecked, no need do so again.

Now either use the boot menu key during post, access the boot menu option selecting the flash drive to boot from, or enter setup and set it as first in the drive order either one.

It will boot from the flash drive, memtest will run.

that is exactly how i did it before. and as far as booting to other devices, im sure i set it to that. but i'll look again

EDIT

Yep. everything is exactly how you guys say, and when i try to boot from it, "No bootable device found" is the answer i get.

i tried a different 8gb flash usb drive, different brand and all, and the same thing happened. "no bootable device found"

a very odd thing happened tho... i have an HTC EVO 4G android phone, and it recognized that as a bootable device... but from a CD drive... and i dont have a CD drive installed on my PC.

how can it see a phone but not a flash drive with a boot program on it? is there an issue with the memtest86+ software?

is there an issue with the memtest86+ software?
No the download and resulting software are both good. I used it to be sure it was a good download before I posted. Just on the outside chance it was a dl issue of some kind, but no the installer works.

Must be something you're overlooking on your end, a bios setting not allowing the drive to be detected.

• Corsair Employee
The USB memtest File is not bootable it will only run from a bootable USB device so you have to make the flash drive bootable then boot to a fat16/32 formatted drive with Windows 9X then run the file name from the command Line.

• 5 months later...
that is exactly how i did it before. and as far as booting to other devices, im sure i set it to that. but i'll look again

EDIT

Yep. everything is exactly how you guys say, and when i try to boot from it, "No bootable device found" is the answer i get.

Not sure if this is still an issue for you, but for future reference, on those motherboard, when you're trying to boot from USB, instead of selecting "Removable" select Hard Drives or Hard Disks, and the USB Drive should be under there.

Archived