Corsair Community

Any news for the 2100 wireless Hissing ?

Darkdragon311

I just got my first RMA back and it is still exactly the same as the first one.... $15 gone, 3 weeks without a headset, and i'm back where I started...

basically whenever I have any sort of audio playing, a low hissing sound appears and stays on until the audio is stopped.

When I first sent a ticket in I got an immediate response saying my "RMA" was approved with no word on how fix the issue so I assumed it was a known issue and I would get a 100% Functional headset. But now that I received the 2nd headset and upon waiting a few hours for it to be charged, and then turning it on.. the hissing was there and i'm back to square one... is it possibly my computer ?? because the other 2 lower quality headsets I have used never had this sort of problem.

any solutions would be much appreciated but I cant seem to find one anywhere.

I would send a ticket but I feel like ill just get another RMA response and be down another 15$

My one and only problem with my 2100, is the hissing (white noise). For example, with Windows Media Player, when I play a song, it starts to hiss right away. The hissing persists when I press pause, but stops when I press stop. There is a soft hissing that persists regardless of any program that is open, but that's not what I'm talking about. The loud-ish hissing that only starts only when sound play, and it's distracting. It's there even when the headset volume is set to "2", so it's obviously not volume dependent.

I searched high and low for a solution, and people seem to be unsure if this is a software or hardware issue. I tried using different versions of the drivers, different USB ports, and different computers. And no, changing the sound to 16bit, 48000khz does absolutely nothing.

The only way I found to lower the hissing, is by reducing the 4K slider to the bottom, but come on, I shouldn't rely on this since it makes the sound quality significantly worse. I'm not going for an RMA either, because at this point, I'm pretty much certain that this is not a hardware issue, it's a software's.

welp, first of all I am in idiot and just realized I had sent a Rma request rather then a support ticket..... and regarding changing the audio quality I have already attempted doing that. I will check whether it is the software or not right now.

It also looks like hamdan has the same exact problem as me >_<

-edit-

after closing the software, the hissing still persists.

currently, the hissing starts when ANY audio attempts to play for example if I start a twitch stream and mute the volume the hissing appears regardless.

If I even move the volume bar up it hiss's for a good second after that ping sound ends.

I don't know if this means anything but the hissing is about 25% quieter when I open the software and put it in 7.1 surround sound

• Corsair Employee
I had 2 rma too, and the hissing noise was there. I don't know why corsair doesn't answer to this.

If we could know if this is a software or an hardware problem...

If the hissing stops when the software is not installed, then it's a software issue. Please provide me with your system specs and I will notify our validation team

If the hissing stops when the software is not installed, then it's a software issue. Please provide me with your system specs and I will notify our validation team

My specs are:

• Win 8.1
  • asus z87 pro
  • 8 gb ram

I have tried also on my older laptop (win7), and both (the original and the RMA) had the hissing noise when some audio is being played (with or without software). It's really annoying and headaches will come.

That being said, headset was amazing, and i really want to buy it again if this issue will be solved. Looks like many people are complaining about this, so i guess it's a pretty common problem.

In order to replicate just shoot some random mp3 file then mute the volume from Windows Media player and let the music going while muted.

Then mute and unmute the headset itself. Strong hissing will be noted when unmuted, and it will almost disappear when muted.

After some more testing the headset hisse when it thinks there should be some audio to play

The main problem is when i open a game where i have music disable but audio enabled it still thinks there is some "CONSTANT" audio to play and when i click something that gives an audio tone the hiss dissapears for a second whle the sound is playing and again reappears when it ends

Tested win 8.1 win 7 with and without drivers

I also have the hissing sometimes when simply running steam and it wont stop untill i cloes it

To recreate the hissing go steam>settings>Voice>change Devices>Ok im finished

I have the same problem. faint hissing/white noise when in programs "expecting" audio. When audio plays there is no hiss.

I previously had the HS1 headset (only so much cablestrips can hold together). Reading alot of reviews etc. i decided to give corsair another chance.

Not super-impressed so far.

I have the same issue, and it's anoying. I've tried with and without drivers etc. I really hope it's software issue cause otherwise the headset is perfect. But I find it hard to use it cause of the hissing sound giving me headaches.

• 1 month later...

I just purchased the headphones and have this issue. REALLY disappointed that Corsair would release a product with such a notorious flaw.

It clearly depends on users sensitivity.

But I can hear a constant very quiet hiss just by turning on the headset, even without a connection to PC.

After connecting to a PC, whenever audio plays the hissing becomes REALLY noticeable and distracting.

For games it's passable since there is always lots going on. Music so-so, but for movies it simply makes the headphones unusable.

I am under windows 8.1 x64, 48khz configured, tried enabling/disabling mic, dolby, etc. but problem persists. I also tried different USB ports, connecting via the extension cable, etc. Same.

Using windows drivers the hiss still exists, but it goes off much quicker after audio stops.

I can bear the quiet "baseline" hiss, but the hissing during sound playback NEEDS to be improved to consider this headset functional.

Hoping Corsair can find a software solution to correct this, since I am really disappointed with this. These are NOT budget headset to have such a glaring flaw!

There's also the problem with the mic noise (electric-feedback noise) while charging. But that's related to grounding and it's understandable, and can be solved with charging on a grounded port. But I can't believe the hissing noise was not detected during product testing and worked out!

OK, this is a pretty sad state of affairs, but I wanted to share what's working best for me so far (in Windows 8.1 x64):

- Completely uninstall all Corsair drivers. Windows default drivers sound MUCH better for stereo, music, etc. (of course, this is always relative, for me it is a really noticeable improvement, with much "cleaner" sound). Also hissing is lower and it stops much faster when sound ends compared to Corsair ones.

- Install Razer Synapse and Surround software. It sounds much better for Surround gaming (again, a matter of personal taste).

- Now, the tricky part: Problem with this setup is that when Razer is passing audio to the Razer surround device the louder hissing is constant and annoying. So, when not gaming, I disable the surround from Razer but ALSO need to stop the "Razer Surround Audio Service". This can be done with a NET START/STOP .bat for the service (ran as administrator via direct link).

Of course, this is NOT a practical solution and definitely not acceptable for a retail product. But sound quality is noticeably better in BOTH situations with this setup.

Corsair built a good pair of headphones, but clearly the sound card/wireless dongle has some problems (hissing issue) and the drivers are a joke. I hope they can at least care enough to keep working on releasing decent drivers/software and show they worry about customer satisfaction.

Hello all,

This is my first time on the forums and I was wondering about the issues people seem to be having with their 2100s.

I love corsair products, and IMO the 2100s look awesome. My brother has a pair of 1500s, but I want to go wireless, and the 2100s fit the bill. However, upon testing my bro's 1500s, I noticed a static noise, a constant whine, which he can't hear apparently, and an echo sound of my voice coming back through.. My previous headset (purchased 2011) that I used for Skype etc. was the Microsoft LifeChat lx-3000 and to this day they remain perfectly functional, with surprisingly good mic and sound quality for a £20 headset.

I messed around in the audio settings, and managed to get rid of the echo, and a tiny amount of the whine, but alas, it persisted, even with the newest drivers and corsair software (at time of writing). Upon searching around on the web, it seems quite a few people have the same issues as my brother's pair.

IMO, this is unacceptable for a £100 pair of headphones, when a £20 pair have better sound, mic and afaik longevity.

Does anyone know anything else about the issue? Is it being worked on?

Sorry for rambling, please respond with any info.

James

I just bought a pair of 2100's and I too am experience the hissing.

Windows 7 64bit

Intel 3770k @ 4.2ghz

16 gbs ram

Motherboard: Asus Maximum V Gene

The hissing problems are exactly like others have described. Since there are no real answers from Corsair that I've seen as I've looked through a few hours of internet searches, I'm just going to assume they cannot replicate or don't care about the problem and I'm going to return them for something else.

I'm extremely disappointed in this.

Hello all,

This is my first time on the forums and I was wondering about the issues people seem to be having with their 2100s.

I love corsair products, and IMO the 2100s look awesome. My brother has a pair of 1500s, but I want to go wireless, and the 2100s fit the bill. However, upon testing my bro's 1500s, I noticed a static noise, a constant whine, which he can't hear apparently, and an echo sound of my voice coming back through.. My previous headset (purchased 2011) that I used for Skype etc. was the Microsoft LifeChat lx-3000 and to this day they remain perfectly functional, with surprisingly good mic and sound quality for a £20 headset.

I messed around in the audio settings, and managed to get rid of the echo, and a tiny amount of the whine, but alas, it persisted, even with the newest drivers and corsair software (at time of writing). Upon searching around on the web, it seems quite a few people have the same issues as my brother's pair.

IMO, this is unacceptable for a £100 pair of headphones, when a £20 pair have better sound, mic and afaik longevity.

Does anyone know anything else about the issue? Is it being worked on?

Sorry for rambling, please respond with any info.

James

FOLLOW UP:

My friend told me he was using Windows 7 64 bit so I rolled the dice and bought it, and also installed my old copy of win 7 home.

First impressions, I could hear the hissing, BUT, I downloaded the Corsair driver software and using the equalizer settings I managed to get it down to a negligible amount by lowering the highs or trebles or whatever. If you can hear it at all, both my brother and dad can't, it's very faint, and doesn't come through at all when listening to music, playing games, chatting to friends. It does come through a very small amount when no audio is playing, but if that bothers you, turn the wheel on the side to lower the volume and no hissing at all, then just turn it up again when you want to use it. My friends said I was coming in clear, with no noticeable drop in quality between the 2100 and my old pair.

The 7.1 is great, I only tested it using black hawk down, but it sounded good, better than stereo. Not so good in VOIP I found, but definitely better than some virtual 7.1 implementations, which I have heard before and paled in comparison. I haven't used it in a game yet, (no good testers installed due to fresh OS).

The headset is comfortable to wear, much more so now seeing as my brother corrected me on how to wear the damn thing, point the headband towards your forehead so that the cup arms are vertical. My ears don't overheat with them on, and the ear cup material is a sort of microfibre cloth type deal.

The bass is crisp and clear, and there is quite a lot of adjustment to be made to suit the individual. I listen mostly to electro house music and I find it very good.

I've used them for about 6 hours now, no dropping out or loss of sync, and the range is good. I went downstairs into the kitchen to grab a drink and I managed to get to the fridge before it cut out, which is good considering that there's 2 brick walls in-between, so roughly 7 metres as the crow flies. I dangled the USB adapter out of my window and went into the garden, I got to well over 10 metres with no loss of sync, got to my back wall about 16 metres away and it was cutting out periodically. However, one plus to this is that it reconnected automatically every time, no issues whatsoever.

Last point, if you've got an android wall phone charger, use it to charge the headset. The manual says it might need 4 hours out of the box, I needed 1 hour with the phone charger.

Add me on steam if you want to ask me a question about the headset, the name's "jamram" (no quotes)

All in all, very happy with the headset 10/10. Props to corsair for making another quality product.

• 4 weeks later...

EDIT --- 08/06/2014

Out of the blue today, my headset started making a loud buzz when charging. I was playing Dead Space 3 and talking on teamspeak and the beep that signals low battery started, so I did what I have done many times before and plugged in the charger cable out of the front USB port on my PC. My friend instantly told me that my headset was making an unbearable noise, so I unplugged the cable to confirm that was what it was. The noise stopped as soon as I unplugged the cable. I told my friend that I would come back on later when it was fully charged.

So I did a little digging on the web and it seems this isn't an uncommon issue. One thread I saw mentioned a grounding issue. To test this, I went into the Corsair software and enabled microphone check. I could now hear the buzzing, and let me tell you, it's bad. I then touched my PC case, presto noise gone. Same when touching the radiator. I tried plugging the headset into a wall charger to try and correct it but no such luck. All the sockets in my home are grounded AFAIK so no issues there.

I am currently very unhappy. I paid a hefty premium for this headset and I may consider RMA if I don't find a fix.

• 3 weeks later...

Can comfirm. Just got a brand new 2100 from my RMA'd 2000 (thx Corsair! :))

When a application is potentially outputting sound, a low white noise can be heard. I think this is because the drivers only activate the DAC when an audio stream is present. So this means the hissing probably originates from the DAC. It's a little bit annoying, but I think I can live with it. You don't hear it over loud music or games, the only situation where it is annoying is things like quiet movies and so on.

Though I can live with it, it would be nice if this could be fixed by a driver update. :)

• 5 weeks later...

Could someone help me I have two questions, is the any official response about this whole situation from corsair? and Is the a potential fix coming? I need to decided if I should live with this issue until a potential fix is created or just return them and buy a different headset, from my understanding RMA replacements do not correct this issue.

I had two pairs of corsair 2000's, the first pair had the common side plastic cracking issue, I sent them back to corsair and was sent a replacement, these lasted a lot longer but just outside of warranty the micro female usb charging port decided to stop working. Spent a week or so looking around at headset alternatives but couldn't find anything I liked more than the corsair 2000s (when I had no issues) and seeing how corsair had released a new version I decided to buy the 2100's thinking the problems I initially had would have been resolved

But I already regret it, I now have a new problem, the hissing after audio plays. Im pretty frustrated, I bought corsair because of the reputation of quality. Corsair was my choice for hardware, Im a huge fan of the 650D and other corsair hardware I have previously bought, but due to quality issues I have had with headsets and the lack of support from corsair regarding this hissing issue im starting to reconsider buying corsair hardware in the future and thats a huge shame.

Archived