Corsair Community

Is something wrong with my temps?

AlexH

If the 980 Ti is connected to the H80i v2, then there is something wrong. The diode temp and the effective coolant temp should be about the same. +40C between suggests the cold plate on the pump head is not making good contact with the GPU chip. However, 40-50C is about the expected coolant range and if not heat was transferring, it should be colder. All of which brings us back to perpetual question of how warm it is in your case. Both coolers sitting in the low 40s. Drive temps similar. Usual gibberish in the motherboard section.

You might need to add a little more context to the above. Room temperature? Is it 40C in the case? How does the system behave at idle? Do these temps take forever to come back down? When I had a much smaller 120mm radiator on my Titan, the coolant temp could go from 50C to 30C in just 2-3 minutes, once the load ceased. How does this compare to yours?

Hey I really appreciate the reply.

Yeah the h80i v2 is connected to the gpu :/ I may attempt to re-seat it when I've got chance.

The temps don't take too long to come down, but the temp they do go down to doesn't seem to be a decent temp anyways. (fyi, The h115i is basically brand new)

The temps do seem a bit jumpy (but nothing drastic maybe 5-10c) for the CPU which I've heard can be an issue.

(Also, just for clarification, I do have 2 monitors, 1 is g-sync, 1440p 144hz, the other is just a standard benq 1080p 60hz monitor)

Thanks.

I've attached a photo with my room temp being fairly cold and barely any load.

49862e5c4e5002d37212ecb2ffcddbb0.png

The general coolant and hardware temps seem to be a factor of the case temp and they rise and fall together. Basic fan speed management might help with that. However, I am more concerned about the GPU and the cooling set up. I assume you have some kind of bracket to support the cooler. It's not quite right, whatever it is. At load, the 980 Ti temp and the coolant temp should be within 1C of each other. You are running as hot as if you had no cooler at all and this was the standard Ti blower, with shrill fan speed to match. It is also possible the resolution of this issue will aid the overall case heat management.

At low load, those temps look about right.

Can you tell us about the entire airflow in your system, not just the coolers? What other fans? Where are they? What is intake vs. exhaust? And what is the room temperature?

I still think at low load the temps seem a little high.

I live in the UK so it's usually fairly cold in my room (I don't know the exact temp), however, when I play any sort of intensive game it'll easily heat my room and make it stuffy.

As my for airflow situation, I'm gonna be honest it's a little bad and hard to explain. Total fans in the case (including ones on the radiators) comes to 6; 4 120mm and 2 140mm with the h115i having the 140mm ones. I'm going to do a full re-seat and thermal paste swap over the weekend coming up. I'll keep you posted after I change the airflow :)

Thank you for the reply.

The general coolant and case temps seem to be a factor of the case temp and they rise and fall together. Basic fan speed management might help with that. However, I am more concerned about the GPU and the cooling set up. I assume you have some kind of bracket to support the cooler. It's not quite right, whatever it is. At load, the 980 Ti temp and the coolant temp should be within 1C of each other. You are running as hot as if you had no cooler at all and this was the standard Ti blower, with shrill fan speed to match. It is also possible the resolution of this issue will aid the overall case heat management.

For the 980ti, I'm using a 'Corsair CB-9060008-WW Hydro Series HG10 N980' bracket to attach the pump to, I think I may have installed it wrong. Like I said in the reply to the other guy, I'm going to go ahead and re-seat both pumps and put some Arctic MX-4 on either this friday or the coming weekend. Hopefully this 'should' solve my issues. I'll make sure to keep you posted.

I think I might need a better case to house both radiators in better positions to help with airflow.

Thanks for the reply.

I still think at low load the temps seem a little high.

I live in the UK so it's usually fairly cold in my room (I don't know the exact temp), however, when I play any sort of intensive game it'll easily heat my room and make it stuffy.

As my for airflow situation, I'm gonna be honest it's a little bad and hard to explain. Total fans in the case (including ones on the radiators) comes to 6; 4 120mm and 2 140mm with the h115i having the 140mm ones. I'm going to do a full re-seat and thermal paste swap over the weekend coming up. I'll keep you posted after I change the airflow :)

Thank you for the reply.

We'd need to define "fairly cold". As I'm from Texas, my definition of "fairly cold" is probably a wee bit different from yours in the UK. ;):

That said, if your room gets stuffy and hot when gaming, then you may also need to look at the airflow into the room. Keep in mind that it's not just the system itself but the system as a part of an entire thermal environment ... and that includes the room. I'll have at least 2 and sometimes up to 5 systems running in my office at any one time. With just the 2 systems, it'll get warm. So I have a floor fan just outside my home office that blows cool air from the hallway into the office (as the rest of the house is always cooler than my office).

We'd need to define "fairly cold". As I'm from Texas, my definition of "fairly cold" is probably a wee bit different from yours in the UK. ;):

That said, if your room gets stuffy and hot when gaming, then you may also need to look at the airflow into the room. Keep in mind that it's not just the system itself but the system as a part of an entire thermal environment ... and that includes the room. I'll have at least 2 and sometimes up to 5 systems running in my office at any one time. With just the 2 systems, it'll get warm. So I have a floor fan just outside my home office that blows cool air from the hallway into the office (as the rest of the house is always cooler than my office).

I've just re-seated the CPU & GPU pumps and the PC is running a lot cooler now compared.

20-30c cooler for the GPU

and about 10-15c cooler for the CPU

under a decent load that is ^

I have good airflow in my room as I have the window open almost 24/7 with a fan on in my room. I'd say my room is 15c~ roughly.

Would you be able to answer my question above about the pump orientation?

Thanks for the reply :)

Quick question for ya'll, does it matter which way the pump is orientated on the CPU with the H115i? My case is a fine size but the pipes fit better with the pump at a 90 degree angle.

It makes absolutely no difference in a properly functioning cooler.

Hello AlexH,

Glad to see that you were able to get your temps down by reseating! c-attack is correct. The pump orientation shouldn't matter.

Hey Rick!

Yeah it seemed with the GPU that I didn't install the bracket correctly and the pump wasn't making good enough contact with the chip. I seem to be getting 55-60c~ now under fairly heavy load. And for the CPU around 65-70~ roughly, under decent load. However the temp does seem to jump 10c or so every so often, is this normal?

(If the temps don't seem right still, let me know)

Thanks for the reply!

[EDIT] Upon further testing, a few hours into a game, my cpu climbed to 75c and the GPU to 65c.

However the temp does seem to jump 10c or so every so often, is this normal?

Thanks for the reply!

The CPU or GPU temp? Or the two coolant temperatures (H80i/H115i Temp)?

For the CPU, this is completely normal for your model and most everyone else's too. For the GPU, it should not really happen with a hybrid cooling system like you have installed. Going from zero to max load, you should still see it tick upwards 1C at a time with a 10C rise taking at least a minute. Even more so with the H115i with has both a bigger surface area than the H80i and a lot less wattage to get rid off compared to the GPU. If the H115i Temp goes 27, 27, 37... something is wrong internally (or hopefully a sensor glitch).

The CPU or GPU temp? Or the two coolant temperatures (H80i/H115i Temp)?

For the CPU, this is completely normal for your model and most everyone else's too. For the GPU, it should not really happen with a hybrid cooling system like you have installed. Going from zero to max load, you should still see it tick upwards 1C at a time with a 10C rise taking at least a minute. Even more so with the H115i with has both a bigger surface area than the H80i and a lot less wattage to get rid off compared to the GPU. If the H115i Temp goes 27, 27, 37... something is wrong internally (or hopefully a sensor glitch).

Hi,

Yeah it's the CPU that's jumping. The h115i is on the CPU and i'm reading package temps.

The pump temps aren't jumping :)

That's normal. Voltage on - jump. Voltage off - drop. I would only be concerned if you see this when sitting on the desktop doing nothing and the cores are firing away endless. Then again, that is also normal for Kaby and Coffee.

I've done some more testing and my cpu temps can reach 90c when at 70-80% load. This is with my room temp being 16c(ish)

I've been playing vermintide 2 again today and with the load being 60-70% the temps are at 80-85c.

I don't think those temps are right, are they?

Try to get a H115i before/after temp reading when gaming. That should provide more insight as to whether this is a cooler issue, contact, or voltage.

Hey i'll do a recording with corsair link edited into the screen and upload it to youtube unlisted, so you can have a full see on what happens with everything.

I'll show idle, on chrome, in-game and after it closes.

Archived