Corsair Community

Too much power draw with SP120?

ThatsDirty

Currently experiencing some issues when I'm trying to game. I'm losing video input whenever I run a more intense game. Games less demanding like Terraria or Minecraft runs fine and get no input loss. When the input loss happens I hear a Windows pop up error and I'm unable to do anything. Only way to get back to my desktop is through a hard reset. This issue started last night and I've spent most of my day looking up around the web and hope to find a solution to this. People have said that it may be a GPU or PSU issue but I'm thinking it may be a PSU issue. I've had my 460X + 6 SP120 + Commander Pro + 4 Corsair RGB LED strips for a month now and I'm guessing that's a lot of power draw for my EVGA 650 watt power supply and probably over a month period loss power over time. Not sure what to do right now, besides doing an RMA on this PSU or maybe getting a bigger PSU.

Hope this is the correct place to post this ;~;

I had/have a similar issue with my 650w Corsair PSU and 6 HD120 fans off a Fan Commander Pro, but got no conclusive response. I don't know what the power limit is for a SATA plug, but I did recall reading some people saying SATA for fan controllers was potentially problematic due to power limitations.

As a mild threadjack... does your commander pro light it's green LED at all times when running, or does it just flash a couple times when the system starts? I'm on my second commander and still wondering if that one is also broken somehow.

I have a spare PSU I've used (750w) to test components and I was going to go back and see if I still have the same issue I posted here last week if I power the commander/fans via a different power supply.

Honestly though my first guess to your issue would be a video driver problem, or the card overheating, since that's usually the issue. There should be something in the system event log recorded for the error. An easy test would be to just disconnect the commander and open the side panel and put a box fan or something in there to provide airflow and isolate the power draw problem--that's what I did to test.

I had/have a similar issue with my 650w Corsair PSU and 6 HD120 fans off a Fan Commander Pro, but got no conclusive response. I don't know what the power limit is for a SATA plug, but I did recall reading some people saying SATA for fan controllers was potentially problematic due to power limitations.

As a mild threadjack... does your commander pro light it's green LED at all times when running, or does it just flash a couple times when the system starts? I'm on my second commander and still wondering if that one is also broken somehow.

I have a spare PSU I've used (750w) to test components and I was going to go back and see if I still have the same issue I posted here last week if I power the commander/fans via a different power supply.

Honestly though my first guess to your issue would be a video driver problem, or the card overheating, since that's usually the issue. There should be something in the system event log recorded for the error. An easy test would be to just disconnect the commander and open the side panel and put a box fan or something in there to provide airflow and isolate the power draw problem--that's what I did to test.

Yeah I'm guessing it might be a GPU issue. I'll have to wait until tomorrow to find out if it's a driver issue. On a datacap and I'm capped and don't want to use anymore data until it resets tomorrow.

As for the Commander Pro I'm not sure, I've only installed it and never really looked at it once the side panel came on. Lol, sorry if I couldn't help ya there.

I'm just new to this forum site and was hopeful to get some help/fix for this exact problem. I'm looking forward to the result.. Data capping sucks! lol

Welcome to the forums! And yes, data cap sucks big time. Lol

But yeah, going to take my 970 to a friend's and put it in his system to see if it's a GPU issue or something.

Currently experiencing some issues when I'm trying to game. I'm losing video input whenever I run a more intense game. Games less demanding like Terraria or Minecraft runs fine and get no input loss. When the input loss happens I hear a Windows pop up error and I'm unable to do anything. Only way to get back to my desktop is through a hard reset. This issue started last night and I've spent most of my day looking up around the web and hope to find a solution to this. People have said that it may be a GPU or PSU issue but I'm thinking it may be a PSU issue. I've had my 460X + 6 SP120 + Commander Pro + 4 Corsair RGB LED strips for a month now and I'm guessing that's a lot of power draw for my EVGA 650 watt power supply and probably over a month period loss power over time. Not sure what to do right now, besides doing an RMA on this PSU or maybe getting a bigger PSU.

Hope this is the correct place to post this ;~;

Hello there!

So the PSU is more than capable of running all of your hardware. You could even do this on a 450W power supply and not run into any issues.

This is most likely a driver issue. I highly recommend you (go to a friend's house and) download the latest NVIDIA drivers. Google up how to completely remove and clean out previous NVIDIA drivers, which should involve deleting a folder(s). When installing the newest driver, ensure that you have checked the option "Perform Clean Installation" just to be absolutely safe. If it's making a Windows Device Disconnect sound, it's the driver failing and you're losing video output. If your video card was failing, you'd just have artifacting and weird colors in your games.

Can definitely narrow this down to a driver issue. If you install the newest driver and it's *still* doing this, I would highly recommend a reformat. Typically this is hard for most people because they don't want to lose anything... but to be honest, if someone is having these sorts of issues, there's more issues with their OS than they can see.

Good luck!

Hi Blake!

First off thanks for the reply, appreciate it. Followed all your steps, did a clean wipe of any previous Nvidia drivers and deleted any traces of Nvidia folders/registries. Installed the latest drivers and it seems like started to work for the first 15 minutes of playing Overwatch and some Battlefield 1 but then it happened again. So now i'm guessing it's more into the OS now. Going to spend my evening drinking a cold one and reformatting Windows and backing up all my games/documents. Thanks for your input! Will update after I get situated again. Hope this fixes it..

it could be one of the other things plugged into your system...

how hot was your internals? what alerts did event viewer show were any errors logged just before your hard reboot?

because it sounds very much like something doesn't like heat if it happens after a while of running a game and then your getting the windows device connected /disconnected sound

I was getting this problem before because a usb stick on the back of the pc was overheating (i'd forgotten it was there) but it could literally be anything and its highly likely its heat related rather than power related if it isn't a dodgy sound or network driver

and there is another frequent cause of problems with games if your mobo drivers are out of date they can cause all kinds of problems .... that lock up your system

of course it could be your gfx card that's causing the problem because its on its way out but I would think a stability test would prove that one way or the other (like heaven or similar)

it could be one of the other things plugged into your system...

how hot was your internals? what alerts did event viewer show were any errors logged just before your hard reboot?

because it sounds very much like something doesn't like heat if it happens after a while of running a game and then your getting the windows device connected /disconnected sound

I was getting this problem before because a usb stick on the back of the pc was overheating (i'd forgotten it was there) but it could literally be anything and its highly likely its heat related rather than power related if it isn't a dodgy sound or network driver

and there is another frequent cause of problems with games if your mobo drivers are out of date they can cause all kinds of problems .... that lock up your system

of course it could be your gfx card that's causing the problem because its on its way out but I would think a stability test would prove that one way or the other (like heaven or similar)

I've managed to get 5 minutes of playtime on BF1 and using Corsair Link (only software monitor on PC atm) to monitor temps and CPU is at 45 degrees and GPU is at 60 degrees, I think temps are fine.

And only devices plugged in right now is power cable, HDMI, ethernet, Corsair K70, Logitech G502, and headset in the front I/O.

I have a couple of friends that are lending me a 1060 and 1070 to test to find out if it's my GPU or something deeper down.

It seems like a lot of GTX 970s have had this issue in this video.

[ame]https://youtu.be/akS23GmGpkA[/ame]

Update: Okay sooooooo I think I may have fixed it and it's kinda embarrassing... My GPU has two power LEDs to show if I was getting enough power. When I had the issue going on my GPU showed solid LEDs but this morning I booted it and noticed my second LED was flickering and when I load up to my desktop i'd get video input loss. So I checked my PSU and noticed my VGA2 power cable was loose and would come out, plugged it in until it clicked launched Overwatch did a match and no signal loss! I think that was the issue the entire time.. After an OS reinstall and much intake of alcohol later, it may have just been a loose power cable..

TLDR: Check if your cables are plugged in completely..

Archived