Corsair Community

DDR3 1600MHz and P5Q3 Deluxe: issues and instability

LuxusElg

This is kind of a long story now, as I originally built the system in January, and it hasn't really been stable since.

At first, I used another brand of memory, same speed and amount, but not in the motherboards Qualified Vendors List.

After recieving a couple of defect memory sticks, I finally got a pair that worked, as far as I knew. Still I got alot of memory related errors in various games, and I also got daily BSODs of different variations. Usually the likes of IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL and PAGE FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA.

Both of Which usually are memory related.

I was told to alter my timings, and after much tinkering with the timings, voltages and ratios to no avail, I decided to find a pair of memory sticks that were documented to work well with my motherboard. I landed on the sticks in my profile, 2x2GB 1600MHz DDR3 with XMP.

After I installed the new Corsair sticks, I went into my BIOS and reset it to default settings, then turned on XMP and set it to Profile #1, which was the settings I had been told was supposed to work near flawlessly.

For a while, I had no issues, no BSODs or anything, and I was in a state of bliss.

Then, as I started installing a couple of games, I ran into some errors that were more or less memory related, and so I started getting abit worried. At this point I flashed my BIOS to the newest version, 1901, from the one the board shipped with.

Some time later, I experienced a system freeze, as in my computer just froze, keyboard and mouse went dark and sound looped, while surfing the web.

I also tried the game Empire: Total War, and it would cause the same kind of freezes from time to time.

The last couple of days, however, the problem has gotten worse.

I've had several freezes while just browsing, or even idling in windows and more frequent freezing in games.

I went online again, and tried a variety of settings, including upping NB and vcore voltages, disabling USB legacy support, and a couple of other minor setting changes in my BIOS.

This was all to no avail, and just recently I got two consecutive BSODs, one of which was an IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, the other I didnt see, because automatic rebooting was enabled in advanced system properties.

After the BSODs, I reverted back to the XMP settings, and it hasnt crashed on me for a couple of hours now, but I would like to find a real fix for these issues, or atleast determining what causes them.

It could ofcourse be my motherboard, but if so I would like to be able to confirm it before i RMA anything...

Any help is very much appreciated :)

I've attached some info you may or may not find useful...

DxDiag.txt

2140468049_CPUIDandCPU-Z.thumb.jpg.21c1de1318b749a6440200e9715cffaf.jpg

everest.txt

I ran memtest86+ v1.7 (ultimate bootcd) yesterday for 4 full passes without any errors, though that was with 1901 BIOS and both modules installed.

I'll try the newest memtest version now with CMOS cleared and only one module at a time.

Yeah, I guess the problem is most likely BIOS or driver related then...

I should probably try a different version.

I still get crashes in games, but I haven't had any windows crashes today...

Any ideas what it might be, if not the RAM?

Yes, if the CPU tests out stably and the DRAM tests out stably, then the issue if not software related is very likely due to the memory controller. I have personally found that the DDR3 memory controllers for Core 2 products are wonky and that they do better with lower speed memory. It's easy to tell. Set the memory to 1333Mhz and see if the issue resolves.

If it does, then you can be pretty sure that the issue is high end speed and the Core 2 DDR3 memory controller. I have found personally that increases in voltages to the MCH and memory does nothing to alleviate this issue. I moved to 1333Mhz with the system I had (Rampage Extreme) and the issue resolved. I then overclocked the system so that the memory ran at 1500MHz with 7-6-6-6-16 1T @ 1.80v and all was well. This is an issue directly related to the MCH chipset in my view.

Yeah, I guess the problem is most likely BIOS or driver related then...

I should probably try a different version.

I still get crashes in games, but I haven't had any windows crashes today...

Any ideas what it might be, if not the RAM?

I just tried setting the memory to 1333mhz with everything else on auto, still getting the same freeze in Empire atleast... (though this could very well be software related, drivers perhaps..)

Could my CPU be the culprit?

Very doubtful, but let's test to be certain.

Download LinX from-->

Download Real Temp from-->

Run Linpack for full memory (1) and use a 5 pass iteration. Run Real Temp and watch the temperatures. Let the Linpack program run for the full 5 passes. The output in the screen will give you five sets of values for "Residual <norm>. They should be identical for a stable CPU and DRAM.

Be sure to turn off your screensavers, display settings that turn the monitor off for this test.

BIOS Values:

Load Setup Defaults. Save Setup Defaults. Then set to these values:

AI Overclock Tweaker

Configure Advanced CPU Settings

CPU Ratio Setting = 7
C1E Support = Enabled

Configure System Performance Settings

Ai OVerclocking Tuner = Manual
CPU Ratio Setting = 7
FSB Frequency = 400
PCIE Frequency = 100
FSB Strap to North Bridge = 333
DRAM Frequency =  DDR3-1600MHz
Dram CLK Skew on Channel A1 = Auto
Dram CLK Skew on Channel A2 = Auto
Dram CLK Skew on Channel B1 = Auto
Dram CLK Skew on Channel B2 = Auto
Dram TIming COntrol =   Manual 

Primary Information

CAS# Latency = 7 DRAM Clocks
DRAM RAS# to CAS #Delay = 7 DRAM Clocks
DRAM RAS# Precharge =  7 DRAM Clocks
DRAM RAS# Activate to Precharge = 20 DRAM Clocks
RAS# to RAS# Delay = Auto
Row Refresh Cycle Time = 60 DRAM Clocks
Write Recovery Time = Auto
Read to Precharge Time = Auto

Secondary Information

Read to Write Delay (S/D) = Auto
Write to Read Delay (S) =  Auto
Write to Read Delay (D) = Auto
Read to Read Delay (S) = Auto
Read to Read Delay (D) = Auto
Write to Write Delay (S) = Auto
Write to Write Delay (D) = Auto

Third Information

WRITE to PRE delay = Auto
READ to PRE delay = Auto
PRE to PRE delay = Auto
ALL PRE to ACT delay = Auto
ALL PRE to RED Delay = Auto
DRAM Static Read Control =  Disabled
DRAM Dynamic Write Control =  Disabled
DRAM Read Training =  Disabled
DRAM Write Training =  Disabled
MEM. OC Charger  = Enabled
Ai Clock Twister=  Auto
Ai Transaction Booster= Auto

Voltages

CPU Voltage = Auto
CPU GTL Voltage Reference(0/2) = Auto
CPU GTL Voltage Reference(1/3) = Auto
CPU PLL Voltage = Auto
FSB Termination Voltage = Autov
DRAM Voltage = 1.8v
NB Voltage = 1.32v
NB GTL Reference = Auto
SB Voltage = Auto
PCIE SATA Voltage = Auto
Load-Line Calibration = Auto
CPU Spread Spectrum = Disabled
PCIE Spread Spectrum = Disabled
CPU Clock Skew = Auto
NB Clock Skew = Auto
CPU Margin Enhancement = Optimized

Boot to the Memtest CD. Allow for two full passes. Then, if stable, enter Windows and run CPU-z. Post screenshots of CPU-z's CPU, Memory and SPD tabs.

I just tried setting the memory to 1333mhz with everything else on auto, still getting the same freeze in Empire atleast... (though this could very well be software related, drivers perhaps..)

Could my CPU be the culprit?

Okay, I ran LinX, and all the Residual(norm) numbers matched up.

The cpu did run dangerously hot, though, and makes me wonder if the readings were erroneous or if i should consider investing in a better cooler for it...

I never got to run the memtest with those settings, as upon rebooting after saving the settings, I was presented with the error "Overclocking failed!" And the choice to either enter setup or load to defaults...

Attached is LinX and RealTemp screenshot upon completing all 5 iterations.

linxXMP.jpg.68ea2c2d422932987f2d8f2442ac6c6d.jpg

Are you running with a stock CPU Cooler? Here's the thing. You must run the CPU as fast as the memory. It must run at 333FSB for 1333 and 400FSB for 1600Mhz. You also have errors in your second core thermal diode. It is stuck and is grounds for RMA although that's not what's bringing the temperature. If you want to stick with a stock CPU cooler, I advise you to run your system with a 1333Mhz memory and 333Mhz FSB.

Try dropping your CPU Voltage from Auto to 1.25v. I don't understand why your second Core is running to Log and such a high thermal. Load Setup Defaults in BIOS. Save Setup Defaults in BIOS. THEN enter the values I gave you with 1.25 CPU Core Voltage and run LinX again.

I would look to something like the Thermalright Ultra Xtreme 120 CPU Cooler as Quads run pretty hot.

I wasn't intending to use the stock cooler, but after the one I had didn't fit, I just haven't gotten around to purchasing a new one yet..

About your suggestions.. Since I have a stock cooler, should I run with your exact values, or change the FSB to 333 and DRAM frequency to 1333?

And seeing as the system outright refused to boot with the settings previously, would lowering the CPU voltage work? I'm basically just taking shots in the dark here, but it would seem that since the system refused to boot to windows, just changing CPU voltage doesn't really seem sufficient.. :S

I would say that an outright fail to boot can be from settings saved. That's why it is important when changing values, to load setup defaults, save setup defaults and then insert the new changes rather than just entering BIOS and setting different values. Setup defaults first, save the setup defaults and then insert the additional values.

If you still get problems with "Overclocking Failed", then possibly a BIOS update/downgrade will help. As well, the settings I gave you should work but there's NO hard and fast settings when doing this. Some boards are more finicky than others. Even of the same model.

EDIT:

As well, here's a 38 page thread of people with your mainboard. If you pass memtest with 1600Mhz memory, and still have problems, then you have issues that are external to the memory.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=191848&highlight=P5Q3+Deluxe

I may have misunderstood a little bit then..

When I entered your settings previously, I first loaded setup defaults, but I didn't save and exit, because I didn't really see why it was necessary...

Should I load defaults, then save and exit, then re-enter BIOS and enter your settings and finally save and exit a second time?

Or am I missing something?

Anytime you are making changes to your BIOS it is always best to load setup defaults, save setup defaults and then enter your values. In that order. I did not advise you to save and exit. Save is enough, but you can exit if you like or if your BIOS does not allow for a simple save and demands save and exit. :D:

As well, read that link I gave you as it will give you a far better understanding of the issues this board has. For example:

So

Im testing 1600EB 4GB kit, had this ram well over 1800MHZ on P5E3 Premium.

1600 no way, 1500 no way, 1400 ish, 1333 jeez is it fast ;)

This board is sooooo tight and must be at 1N by default it just hates 128IC's x16, to much load me thinks.

128IC's X 16 = All 2GB Modules

I will contat Asus and see what I can do with bios, for now try to keep the 4GB kits around 1333 6-6-6-(18>22 for TRAS) and test tRD at 6 or 7 tRFC can be 48 clocks.

This board is really fast with the ram like this, probably faster than 7-7-7-24 2T 1600 so do not think you are giving performance away as you are not.

more soon

I may have misunderstood a little bit then..

When I entered your settings previously, I first loaded setup defaults, but I didn't save and exit, because I didn't really see why it was necessary...

Should I load defaults, then save and exit, then re-enter BIOS and enter your settings and finally save and exit a second time?

Or am I missing something?

The system still refused to boot with your settings, even with reduced cpu voltage.

Im trying your settings, but with 333 FSB, 1333MHz DRAM frequency and 6-6-6-20-7-48 timings, as recommended in the post you quoted off of the other forum. (Running auto on cpu voltage atm)

Attached are LinX and RealTemp results.

(BTW, even though cores 1 and 2 have the exact same results in RealTemp, while testing, they change wildly independetly of eachother, so I doubt one of them is broken, but hey.)

linxManual.jpg.ff1f08e1bc0ef2784b2e5045d9091323.jpg

Yeah, It seems that most people have some issues running them stably..

On a sidenote, I thought I got the system running stable, but today I got a IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL BSOD memory dump while playing Warcraft III.

Might revert back to XMP #1 and invest in a new CPU cooling unit.

Or, sooner or later you will accept the fact that you need to either drop bandwidth or move to 1GB modules. That's what I did because I was tired of dropping to the desktop in the middle of the game.

Yeah, It seems that most people have some issues running them stably..

On a sidenote, I thought I got the system running stable, but today I got a IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL BSOD memory dump while playing Warcraft III.

Might revert back to XMP #1 and invest in a new CPU cooling unit.

drop bandwidth? you mean just clocking it down do like 1333mhz? (probably a stupid question, but bear with me :< )

Because I've had it at that since yesterday, and earlier today I got a BSOD, like I noted in my previous post...

You might have to reinstall your OS as you could well have corrupted OS files with the blue screens.

drop bandwidth? you mean just clocking it down do like 1333mhz? (probably a stupid question, but bear with me :< )

Because I've had it at that since yesterday, and earlier today I got a BSOD, like I noted in my previous post...

Archived