Corsair Community

Unidentified Problem with my PC - Possibly Corsair Memory?

lee1127

Hello folks,

For about 2 months, my computer has had the problem of crashing randomly (screen froze and speakers made a repetetive sound before showing "No Signal" on screen) while I was either gaming, watching a video or just browsing. It sometimes came up with a "Hypertransport Sync Flood Error", which wasn't very useful for me. I first ran the PC with a different OS (booted from disk) to eliminate windows from the problem, updated all my drivers, sent my graphics card in for testing (came back with no faults), replaced my PSU (I was running a 360W PSU with my specs, which could apparently cause power surges as there wasn't enough power for my hardware as you should be able to see from my specs, so now I have a 500W PSU), sent in my MoBo to MSI who sent me a brand new one. I put all my components on the new board and tried to get the system running, and it still had the same problem :sigh!:. This should eliminate the MoBo, Graphics card and PSU from the equation, leaving it to be either a memory problem or a CPU problem.

I read more and yesterday tested the RAM (2 sticks of 2 GB DDR3 Corsair TW3X4G1333C9A) to see if that was the cause for the problem, trying out each of the two 2GB sticks in each of the DIMM slots, and playing with the voltages and frequencies in the BIOS (each DIMM was tested with both sticks on 1.5v and 1333 Mhz, 1.65v and 1333 Mhz and finally 1.5v and 1066 MHz). The manufacturer says to use 1.5v and 1333 Mhz, but we heard upping or downing them could solve the problem, however on each of them the PC crashed either at "Starting Windows" or by the time I got a game running.

I have also ran Memtest for about 5 hours on that PC, about a month ago, and it came back with no issues. I also ran a Windows memory diagnostic, which also came back with no problems. I need a way to make sure it is not my Corsair RAM causing this issue, and seen as it is DDR3 memory, I can test it in none of the other PCs in this house. Thanks for your help! :D:

I have also ran Memtest for about 5 hours on that PC, about a month ago, and it came back with no issues. I also ran a Windows memory diagnostic, which also came back with no problems. I need a way to make sure it is not my Corsair RAM causing this issue, and seen as it is DDR3 memory, I can test it in none of the other PCs in this house. Thanks for your help!

This would tell you if the RAM is bad. It sounds to me like the CPU is at fault.

But it's up to you, you can have them replaced if you think it's the memory

The manufacturer says to use 1.5v and 1333 Mhz, but we heard upping or downing them could solve the problem, however on each of them the PC crashed either at "Starting Windows" or by the time I got a game running.

They should be tested at the specs on the label. So if they are 1333mhz at 1.5v, then thats what they should be tested at. Not quite sure why you would test them at 1.65v. They are not rated for that.

You should only need to reduce frequency when trying to get two non-matched kits to play nice with each other. That is not your situation either though.

Archived