Corsair Community

h150i max fan speed

FourT2

As above. The 2400 model is the ML120 Pro that came into existence before the current Pro series coolers. The Pro coolers come with a quieter, lower speed variant with no specific name, other than I usually call it ML-Quiet to differentiate between the 2400 rpm model. Also as mentioned above, you are not going to gain anything by moving up to those fan speeds. The entire point of having a 360mm cooler is you don't need to blast the fans. Fan speed can only reduce CPU coolant temperature, not the cool the CPU directly. Even without your specifications listed, it is likely you have a pretty small coolant delta in your current state. 2400 rpm to reduce CPU and coolant by 1C is not a very good trade for noise.

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I made the mistake of buying the ML120 Pro fans and installing them with the stock H150i fans. Pro fans are push, stock fans are pull. Can I run them like this or do I need to get 3 more Pro fans so that everything matches?

Thank you for your time.

No, you can use them. Just use whatever fan control you have of the 2400 rpm Pro side to keep them close to ML-Quiet side’s speed. If you run one side at 2400 and the other at 1600, the slower side becomes resistance to faster side. You won’t get more airflow. You probably will get strange noises.

I'm not using a controller, just SATA power. I could try to work things out so that the Pro fans are on mainboard fan headers though.

Are you saying you have all 6 fans split into the 3 H150i headers? That might not work out. The Pro coolers do fan control based on fan %. Obviously 75% of maximum will be different. You are in a better position to see if the gap is too extreme. Some difference is fine. +600 rpm may not be helpful.

Motherboard control may work, but it gets tricky with the control sensor. You may be limited to CPU temp or some other not so helpful choices. A board with a 10K temp probe will work and exhaust temp will equal coolant temp. Not sure if you have that option.

Are you saying you have all 6 fans split into the 3 H150i headers? That might not work out. The Pro coolers do fan control based on fan %. Obviously 75% of maximum will be different. You are in a better position to see if the gap is too extreme. Some difference is fine. +600 rpm may not be helpful.

Motherboard control may work, but it gets tricky with the control sensor. You may be limited to CPU temp or some other not so helpful choices. A board with a 10K temp probe will work and exhaust temp will equal coolant temp. Not sure if you have that option.

Can you explain what you mean? It sounds like you’re saying that the H150i Pro controls fan speed when they are plugged directly into SATA power?

Maybe you can explain how your set up. The normal way to set up the cooler is to plug the 3x120mm fans into the three connector splitter coming off the pump. This leads back to the internal fan controller on the H150i. Fan connectors are left of the SATA connector in this picture.

Did you take the fans and plug them into some sort of SATA to fan adapter? Obviously that would offer no control and I can't think of any reason to do this.

• 1 month later...
Hello,

I made the mistake of buying the ML120 Pro fans and installing them with the stock H150i fans. Pro fans are push, stock fans are pull. Can I run them like this or do I need to get 3 more Pro fans so that everything matches?

Thank you for your time.

How is this working for you?

I wanted to do this, as I really want to increase airflow into the case. I have the radiator in the front of case with the fans pushing. I imagine adding fans on the other side to pull would... maybe... increase the amount of air in the case. My temps are pretty good already with the i7 8700k overclocked to 5ghz.

Archived