Corsair Community

H100i CPU Fan Error on boot

Swaino

Hi everyone, i'll try and be as concise with my issue and my findings.

I was gifted a PC with the exception of a PSU, which another friend donated to me.

Upon booting I get greeted with a "CPU Fan Error" which eventually leads to another warning below "CPU Over Temperature Error" if the PC is left on for a few minutes.

Looking at the fans and the radiator they are very dusty, also I could see the cooling system isn't sitting nicely on top of the CPU, the left side is lower then the right, causing it to be seated at an angle.

The BIOS was very old, so I updated that and the same issue occurred. I also for good measure connected the fan to a different connection on the motherboard, same issue.

I managed to get Windows 10 to install on my SSD and installed Corsair Link which shows the H100i pump is only running at 235 rpm and the CPU fan is running at 294 rpm, causing the CPU temp to go between 70-80 celsius.

My friend thinks the power supply could be the cause, being only 600w.

On my next day off work i'm going to take the H100i out, clean the fans and radiator and then re-apply thermal paste to the CPU.

What are your thoughts? PSU or H100i? Also anything else I can try to resolve this.

Thanks in advance

Oh, you're plenty warm. At the very bottom is the H100i box. 53.3 (H100i Temp) is the coolant temp. Normal values range from 20-40C. Your pump RPM is 242. Pump speeds are around 1900 (quiet) or 2900 (performance).

Best guess is you are denying the H100i the voltage it needs. Go into the BIOS and set the header connected to the H100i to 100% or disabled. I don't remember the exact language for Asus Z77, but the pump needs a constant 12v at all times.

Oh, you're plenty warm. At the very bottom is the H100i box. 53.3 (H100i Temp) is the coolant temp. Normal values range from 20-40C. Your pump RPM is 242. Pump speeds are around 1900 (quiet) or 2900 (performance).

Best guess is you are denying the H100i the voltage it needs. Go into the BIOS and set the header connected to the H100i to 100% or disabled. I don't remember the exact language for Asus Z77, but the pump needs a constant 12v at all times.

Thank you for the advice, I will give that a go now, this is a new PC to me so may take me a while :laughing:

Your pump RPM is 242. Pump speeds are around 1900 (quiet) or 2900 (performance).

No, this is a CoolIT H100i and is SATA powered. The pump should always run at about 2,250 RPM. I would also expect the radiator fan speeds to show, how are they connected.

I suspect you will have to RMA it, do you have the original invoice?

Removed.....

No, this is a CoolIT H100i and is SATA powered. The pump should always run at about 2,250 RPM. I would also expect the radiator fan speeds to show, how are they connected.

Ray is correct. The difference is just a missing "v2", but the power scheme is different from the more recent models. It does look like this unit may be in need of repair.

I found the sticker on the side of the radiator and found it to be this CW-9060009-WW (http://www.corsair.com/en-gb/hydro-series-h100i-extreme-performance-liquid-cpu-cooler), will it still mean it needs an RMA?

As the PC was gifted to me I will have to ask my friend if he has the original invoice still.

Ray is correct. The difference is just a missing "v2", but the power scheme is different from the more recent models. It does look like this unit may be in need of repair.

So i managed to see the model number on the sticker without having to take it all out (phew), it's a http://www.corsair.com/en-gb/hydro-series-h100i-extreme-performance-liquid-cpu-cooler.

And after having a look inside I can confirm it does connect via a USB header.

Does this change anything?

Yes, that is the CoolIT model (square block) Ray referenced. The USB connection only transfers data between the pump, motherboard, and Link program. You need it for Link to be operational, but it does not supply power.

The SATA cable is a flat and is the same kind you use to power your drives (SSD, HDD, DVD, etc.). Most PSU's have 2-3 on a cable and you connect it into one of the unused ends.

http://www.legitreviews.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/corsair_h100i_14-300x291.jpg

Yes, that is the CoolIT model (square block) Ray referenced. The USB connection only transfers data between the pump, motherboard, and Link program. You need it for Link to be operational, but it does not supply power.

The SATA cable is a flat and is the same kind you use to power your drives (SSD, HDD, DVD, etc.). Most PSU's have 2-3 on a cable and you connect it into one of the unused ends.

http://www.legitreviews.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/corsair_h100i_14-300x291.jpg

Of course, my apologies. After a deeper look I can see the SATA cable routing around to the power supply and going into one of the 6pin connectors, I tried putting that cable into another 6pin connector just now but the same issue happened.

I know its likely the H100i that is at fault but what are the chances the power supply is at fault here, being only 600w.

Dudeeee! It was the frigin SATA cable, HOW?!?! HA, i'm so happy right now.

I have a separate SATA cable for my SSD that has multiple SATA connection, hooked it up to that and BAM the issue is resolved and CL4 now shows all the proper information for the H100i.

Almost no chance. The pump draws less than 5W and the two fans just less than 5W combined. If changing the supply line didn't work, it is not likely to be a PSU issue.

See my previous post, a new SATA cable resolved the issue.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Are they connected to the H100i?

Yep, as you said my model of H100i is powered by SATA, so I decided to plug the H100i into a different SATA to power cable.

Upon the next boot I could hear the fans spinning at normal speed and no CPU error, and also in CL4 I could see all the proper readings from the pump.

Something so simple that I should of tried to start off with but glad I don't have to RMA the H100i :)

Archived