Corsair Community

H100i Pump Loudness

bernieyee

By default, how loud should the pump be? And by the pump, I mean just the pump, no fans.

My pump is very audible from about a meter away. The computer sits to the right of me.

It's loudest component in my case as I use a custom fan curve for all my fans that makes them pretty much dead silent at idle/surfing the web.

It's like a very audible humming noise. It's none of that grinding or gurgling noise that others have encountered. I would say the sound is equivalent to my AF140 spinning at 900RPM, so perhaps around 20dBa? (24dBa @ 12V)

And understandably, this has driven me crazy as I was under the impression that the H100i was a very quiet cooler. My Noctua NH-C14 and Intel stock cooler is even quieter than this at idle.

It's very annoying when I'm just doing work or surfing the web as my speakers cannot drown out the noise.

I have applied for an advance RMA, so we will see if it's just my unit.

The reason I bought this was because it seemed to be the perfect cooler offering both looks, performance, and what I thought to be quietness. If I cannot get the cooler to operate quieter, I may have to grab a Dark Rock Pro 3 as noise is a very big concern of mine.

That's way too loud. The pumps on these things should be barely audible if at all. Let us know if the RMA corrects the problem.

Thanks Dustin.

I filed a RMA, but have ran into a problem.

I initially filed one RMA as I wanted to exchange it, but then decided to suck it up and just deal with the humming noise. I opened a ticket, and then closed it shortly after (Sunday afternoon).

Then after reading your reply last night, I filed a second identical RMA this morning.

However, I just got two notifications for two different packages being shipped out for RMA #6537778 and #6538092. However, one package is 5.10lbs and the other is 4.80lbs.

I will call into Corsair tomorrow morning to get it fixed, however, am I on the hook to pay for return shipping if it's too late? I was under the impression that a cancelled ticket meant that the RMA was to be cancelled..

Thanks Dustin.

I filed a RMA, but have ran into a problem.

I initially filed one RMA as I wanted to exchange it, but then decided to suck it up and just deal with the humming noise. I opened a ticket, and then closed it shortly after (Sunday afternoon).

Then after reading your reply last night, I filed a second identical RMA this morning.

However, I just got two notifications for two different packages being shipped out for RMA #6537778 and #6538092. However, one package is 5.10lbs and the other is 4.80lbs.

I will call into Corsair tomorrow morning to get it fixed, however, am I on the hook to pay for return shipping if it's too late? I was under the impression that a cancelled ticket meant that the RMA was to be cancelled..

Actually, since I'm on my third unit with the same problem, it's safe to assume that the H100i "hum" is normal, which is actually pump vibration. Maybe depending on motherboard and cpu socket the vibration is reduced and not noticeable, but on my Maximus VI Gene, it's the loudest thing on my system when the fans aren't working.

Unless your CPU socket was made of rubber, it will always make that sound, there's no fix, although my third unit makes a lot less noise than the other two. It's still annoying though, so I'm going for a refund, which actually makes me sad, since the H100i is great in everything else.

I did some Googling and it seems that on older models of Corsair AOI, people were able to get a molex to three pin adapter and connected the pump directly to a fan controller. By lowering the pump RPM, it also eliminated most noise issues.

Now, if I got a SATA to 4 pin and plugged it into a fan controller, couldn't I essentially be doing the same thing? Something like this http://www.frozencpu.com/products/9884/cab-176/ModRight_CableRight_SATA_15-pin_to_Dual_PWM_4-Pin_or_3-Pin_Cable_Adapter_OSA-086.html?tl=g47c121

I did some Googling and it seems that on older models of Corsair AOI, people were able to get a molex to three pin adapter and connected the pump directly to a fan controller. By lowering the pump RPM, it also eliminated most noise issues.

Now, if I got a SATA to 4 pin and plugged it into a fan controller, couldn't I essentially be doing the same thing? Something like this http://www.frozencpu.com/products/9884/cab-176/ModRight_CableRight_SATA_15-pin_to_Dual_PWM_4-Pin_or_3-Pin_Cable_Adapter_OSA-086.html?tl=g47c121

No, that adapter would only work to power the fans.

The 3-pin cable on the H100i, with just one wire, just serves to report pump rpm. Basically, to let your PC know the pump is working.

The H105/H110 however, it seems they can be controlled, although I've seen a lot of posts that it's not really recommended due to performance. But since we want silence when idling/low cpu usage, a drop in performance won't matter. Just wished I could do it on the H100i, a drop in 500RPM would probably eliminate the noise.

No, that adapter would only work to power the fans.

The 3-pin cable on the H100i, with just one wire, just serves to report pump rpm. Basically, to let your PC know the pump is working.

The H105/H110 however, it seems they can be controlled, although I've seen a lot of posts that it's not really recommended due to performance. But since we want silence when idling/low cpu usage, a drop in performance won't matter. Just wished I could do it on the H100i, a drop in 500RPM would probably eliminate the noise.

Yes, I'm aware. Not exactly that adapter, but something similar.

I'm thinking of getting a:

* SATA to Molex Adapter

* Molex Adapter to 3/4 PIN Fan

* 3/4 PIN Fan to Fan Controller or Motherboard w/ Inline Resister

I believe this would be able to limit the power to the pump.

Do you guys think this would work?

http://www.ncix.com/detail/startech-com-6in-4-pin-molex-12-41002.htm

http://www.ncix.com/detail/noctua-na-sac1-3-pin-to-ad-97644.htm

Pump -> StarTech Cable -> Noctua Cable -> In-line Resister -> Motherboard

I'm just concerned whether or not the connection from the pump will work if I plug it into the female end of the Noctua adapter with the fan end going into the motherboard.

Do you guys think this would work?

http://www.ncix.com/detail/startech-com-6in-4-pin-molex-12-41002.htm

http://www.ncix.com/detail/noctua-na-sac1-3-pin-to-ad-97644.htm

Pump -> StarTech Cable -> Noctua Cable -> In-line Resister -> Motherboard

I'm just concerned whether or not the connection from the pump will work if I plug it into the female end of the Noctua adapter with the fan end going into the motherboard.

Just tried it and it works.

Pump > SATA to Molex > Molex to 2 pin fan header (black and red wires) > 4 pin PWM extension cable > Fan Controller

Unfortunately below 1850rpm the pump noise changes its sound signature and increases dramatically, then at 1330rpm it changes how it sounds again while still being more audible than MAX and only below 600rpm it becomes truly silent.

Long story short - it won't work like that.

Brand new, Gigabyte Z97mx board. Prior to firmware update there was no noise.. Get get H100i recognized had to go back to old corsair link and update firmware.

Once that was done. Pump Hum. it is VERY annoying loudest part of my quiet build. I was about to buy $60 of corsair fans which I am now not going to.

Not fans, not loose screws and modifying pump doesn't seem right.

SOOOO going to return to Newegg and replace with something else.

Will post on several sites this issue. Its a known defect that is not being addressed.

Ok for a low pump sound.. not a high pitched whine. Not for$100 .. Ok Rant over.. Just very very disappointed that my Corsair cooler sitting in my corsair case with corsair power supply is so poor.

Any suggestions on what to get? Micro ATX Case.

Thanks

Just tried it and it works.

Pump > SATA to Molex > Molex to 2 pin fan header (black and red wires) > 4 pin PWM extension cable > Fan Controller

Unfortunately below 1850rpm the pump noise changes its sound signature and increases dramatically, then at 1330rpm it changes how it sounds again while still being more audible than MAX and only below 600rpm it becomes truly silent.

Long story short - it won't work like that.

Damn.. so I forgot I needed a female fan header. The Noctua one comes with a male header so I couldn't complete the connection to the motherboard.

At 600RPM, how are the temperatures like though?

Brand new, Gigabyte Z97mx board. Prior to firmware update there was no noise.. Get get H100i recognized had to go back to old corsair link and update firmware.

Once that was done. Pump Hum. it is VERY annoying loudest part of my quiet build. I was about to buy $60 of corsair fans which I am now not going to.

Will post on several sites this issue. Its a known defect that is not being addressed.

Ok for a low pump sound.. not a high pitched whine. Not for$100 .. Ok Rant over.. Just very very disappointed that my Corsair cooler sitting in my corsair case with corsair power supply is so poor.

Thanks

FW on my case makes no difference. All three pumps I got came with v1.05, tried to update to v1.07 to see if there was any difference and there wasn't.

Well, most people don't hear it because their overall system is louder. And to most people it's fine, just those of us that have low noise systems can hear it.

The performance is great, I love the temperatures I'm getting. But that buzz, I honestly never saw it coming. I just can't believe how many good reviews there are for the H100i when we all know that the fans are insanely loud and rattle at low RPM, but I'm yet to encounter a review that even considers pump noise in the equation, it's not even logical.

I'm thinking on trying the H110, but I'm currently looking for a local store so that if it makes noise just like the H100i, it's instantly going back.

• Corsair Employee

Thanks

I understand why you'd be frustrated with the pump hum, but I'd ask that you RMA it first and try to let us take care of the problem for you first.

Got my RMA today in the mail. New one has the same hum as the old one, but maybe slightly quieter? Either way, guess my old one wasn't defective and perhaps it is impossible to have a truly silent pump. Did notice the new one has a brighter and even LED.

It's vibration from the pump. Having 4/2/0 fans connected made no difference in my case.

Sound is subjective, to my girlfriend the hum is completely acceptable and not an issue at all. To me, it really gets on my nerves after a while, so I can't live with it.

I guess if Corsair started making pumps with variable speed, it wouldn't be an issue. Less speed = less vibrations.

• Corsair Employee
It's vibration from the pump. Having 4/2/0 fans connected made no difference in my case.

Sound is subjective, to my girlfriend the hum is completely acceptable and not an issue at all. To me, it really gets on my nerves after a while, so I can't live with it.

I guess if Corsair started making pumps with variable speed, it wouldn't be an issue. Less speed = less vibrations.

I'm sorry to hear it, so to speak. I can at least pass the feedback on to the PMs.

I understand where you're coming from, though. I have pretty poor hearing, but my girlfriend's hearing is epic. In the middle of the night, she can hear the cats eating out in the living room, or when they're all the way across the apartment in my office, knocking crap off the desk.

I'm sorry to hear it, so to speak. I can at least pass the feedback on to the PMs.

I understand where you're coming from, though. I have pretty poor hearing, but my girlfriend's hearing is epic. In the middle of the night, she can hear the cats eating out in the living room, or when they're all the way across the apartment in my office, knocking crap off the desk.

Yeah, I guess the H100i (or most AIO) isn't for me just because I have trained my hearing (from music production/djing).

I can hear the whine from my powerlines, the whine from my LCD when idling, the buzz from various power bricks and all other kind of noises most people don't hear. But those sound don't annoy me because I can only hear them if I'm really close to the device (like ~10 centimeters close). The H100i on the other hand annoyed me even ~4 meters away.

Would appreciate if you could indeed pass the feedback. I loved the design of the H100i, loved the temps I was getting, just hated the noise. I'm certain there's a market for people like me, silent hardware is getting popular, isn't it? I would instantly buy a truly silent AIO (with quiet fans!) from Corsair, because while I was quite sad for the time and effort I wasted with the H100i, your costumer support was excellent!

My solution was a bit more drastic to the pump noise of my H100i especially added to those damn annoying fans. I tried quieter fans but o/c went down a notch. My solution? I removed it. Since my i7-4770K Haswell was not very good overclocking chip (could not get above 4.3GHz without thermal ceiling being hit even on water), I said to hell with it and went back to a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO. I brought the o/c down one notch to 4.2 instead of 4.3 but now I have a very quiet case even when playing games or running Handbrake. Frankly, it's not worth the noise unless I get at least 400-500 MHz better o/c. No review warned me about the downsides of water cooling. Ahh, everything is so quiet now.

Archived