Corsair Community

QUAD2X4096-8500C5DF: PC Will Not Post

Havagan

I purchased a 4GB kit (QUAD2X4096-8500C5DF) of RAM which has been running fine for nearly a year with the BIOS settings manually set to 5-5-5-15, 2.20V, 1066MHz per memory specs.

A few weeks ago my system would not POST but would go into an infinite power on, power down, power on cycle (seemingly typical of Gigabyte MBs with bad RAM).

Two of the four 1GB DIMMs appear to be fine (and have been stable since I pulled the other two DIMMs out) while the other two appear dead.

The two bad DIMMs have been tested in three separate systems and all three failed to POST:

Gigabyte P35-DS4

Gigabyte X48-DS5

Dell XPS 410

None of the three systems will post with one or both of the bad DIMMs installed.

Single bad DIMM (attempted in slots 1, 2, 3, 4): Fail

Both bad DIMMs: Fail

Single good DIMM, single bad DIMM: Fail

Both good DIMMs, single bad DIMM: Fail

Single good DIMM (attempted in slots 1, 2, 3, 4): Pass

Both good DIMMs: Pass

Can I RMA the pair of bad DIMMs or all four DIMMs since they were purchased as a 4 DIMM kit?

Regards,

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

I mailed in the bad DIMMs after my newly purchased 2 x 2GB sticks came in. Is it possible to request what I get back from the RMA department? I purchased more Corsair RAM because I can't be without my PC for the time it takes to RMA the bad memory. 4 x 1GB sticks to directly replace the four I sent back won't do me any good with only two open slots on the motherboard.

Any way I could request 2 x 2GB sticks instead of 4 x 1GB sticks?

Regards,

Paul

• Corsair Employee
Customer Support said no problem on replacing my 4 x 1GB set with a 2 x 2GB set to match the one currently in my system. Well done all around on the RMA process.

Glad to hear everything worked out, let us know if you have any more issues with the new set!

Archived