Corsair Community

Should I update Force 3 firmware from 5.03?

MRAScott

Greetings all, post #1.

I've got a pair of 90GB Force 3's running as a RAID 0 system drive, built in Oct 2012.

I updated the firmware from (IIRC) 5.02 to 5.03 before the Win 7 install, and the machine has run completely and utterly flawlessly for over 2 years (once got BSOD courtesy of software), with sequential read/write speeds c. 420 MB/s & 175 MB/s in Crystaldiskmark, which seem pretty good.

TRIM works perfectly - the Intel Z77 chipset was (fortunately) the first to support it in RAID (I didn't know what TRIM was when I started the build).

So, is there any reason I should update to the latest firmware? I ask because it's bit of a palaver with the RAID - I'd have to set the SSD's back to AHCI in the BIOS then use a DOS boot device.

Anyone?

As I mentioned, since the system has always run perfectly, a firmware update would be "fixing it when it ain't broke".

Is there a list somewhere of any issues that the latest firmware 'fixed' for the Force 3's?

[PS - ran Atto on the drive(s) yesterday;

http://i1320.photobucket.com/albums/u529/Oxford59/atto_zpsa46f9f12.jpg

honestly you answered yourself, if its been running flawlessly then its best to leave it alone.

my Force3 drive is also 1 version behind but runs extremely well so i have no use for firmware when im not experiencing any issues at all.

Indeed. I guess I was suffering a minor case of 'upgraditis' or looking for a 'free lunch'.

I suppose what I really meant to ask was;

are there any gains in performance to be had with the later firmware?

Guessing again; it was released to ensure compatibility with later hardware/chipsets than I'm using (mine is all roughly contemporaneous with the Force 3's themselves).

cheers.

There's no reason to upgrade to newer firmware. No performance increases.

But wait!.........

Notice the drop-out in read-speed @ 8 - 32 KB in the ATTO benchmark? It's been consistent over several runs.

Just kidding (I think).

ETA >> maybe related to stripe size, 32 KB?

Archived