Corsair Community

12V EPS pins

qbazdz

Hi guys,

can't seem to find anything on this here so apologies if already answered.

I am doing a custom 12V EPS cable for my AX850 PSU and noticed that the original one is connected in a strange way...

Both plugs have 8 pins and on both one row is GND and the other is +12V which is obvious.

The thing is - my original cable is split intwo 2x4 where it goes to the mobo and the cables from PSU plug don't go like 1-1, 2-2, 3-3, etc but they swap around and mix up.

I wondered if yours were like this or if anyone has done them in a normal order (1-1, 2-2 etc.) without experiencing issues?

Thanks in advance.

Hi again,

Yeah, its a bit confusing even if I read this ;)

So let's do it with a small drawing.

http://media.bestofmicro.com/Power-Supply-Fundamentals,8-A-312634-13.jpg

This is Mobo Plug.

Now, original 12V EPS cable for my AX850 is wired this way:

The mobo plug though is split into two 4 pin ones (1,2,5,6 and 3,4,7,8) hence they way i write it here:

PSU plug MOBO plug

1 -> 1 (GND)

2 -> 2 (GND)

5 -> 6 (+12V)

6 -> 7 (+12V)

3 -> 4 (GND)

4 -> 3 (GND)

7 -> 6 (+12V)

8 -> 8 (+12V)

I've checked the outputs on the PSU plug with my meter and they are actually simply set up as 1-4 GND, 5-8 +12V, so I don't understand why crossover and swap some of the wires making it all confusing.

So... is it safe to make a cable with straight connection 1-1, 2-2, 3-3, 4-4, etc for this and use it directly to the PSU?

• Corsair Employee

This is the part I dont understand, you will need to use the cable we sent you as a reference to make the new cable and if you are not sure I would absolutely suggest you not to do this as it can damage your system or possibley hurt you.

So... is it safe to make a cable with straight connection 1-1, 2-2, 3-3, 4-4, etc for this and use it directly to the PSU?

Ok... one last time...

As the voltage assignment at the PSU end (plug) is exactly as it should be on the mobo plug (one row of GND, one of +12V) then why are cables crossed over into something strange like this?

Is it some internal PSU design that is responsible for this arrangement?

• Corsair Employee

NO that is what I am trying to tell you; they can be wired differently and at this time I do not have the Pin outs for the PSU side of the cable. And any cable you make would need to be tested before you ever connect it to a computer MB and or any other device.

You will have to use the cables provided as a reference and when you make a new cable you will have to assemble it in the same way or may not work or may cause damage to your system. It is not hard to do but I agree it will be much harder without a schematic of the wire connections, but we cannot provide this as it is not supported and will VOID the warranty.

Archived